Dead Island Dev Reveals Final Playable Character

moosek

Nov 5, 2009
Why did they just describe a crappy Left 4 Dead? Hot Chick + Hotel employee + Black Guy Stereotype + Former Football Player.

Gaming doesn't do serious zombie stuff anymore, I guess. Left 4 Dead is already a game. Dead Rising is already a game. I have both. The only thing that can sell me on this game is if there's some kind of quest/open world system a la Fallout or Far Cry.

I'm not over zombies. I never will be. They're a great source of entertainment in movies and videogames, and that's not gonna change.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
SO MY WORST FEAR IS REALIZED, ITS A FUCKING, FUCKING, FUCKING, FUCKING, ZOMBIE ACTION GAME! You better make it a survival game NOW! Before I get even more angry..

I mean, they promised a survival horror, said they were really going to try. YET THEY FUCKED IT ALL UP FOR AN ACTION GAME! BRILLIANT!

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
From the gameplay videos I've seen it looks like the FOV is weird. Like the player shouldn't be able to melee as far as they do, like their legs or arms are 6 feet long. Hopefully that's fixed, don't care about the characters. Probably won't be getting this game but it just seemed like a weird problem to have so late in the dev schedule.

OT: Looks like that Shiva chick meets hipster garb.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
JohnTomorrow said:
CrystalShadow said:
JohnTomorrow said:
CrystalShadow said:
JohnTomorrow said:
The sheer fact that she is Australian - and hopefully Aboriginal Australian - makes this game instant gold for me. Brilliant.
I don't quite know what they're going for with this character. You would assume she's meant to be Aboriginal (because in my experience other dark-skinned racial groups are in short supply in Australia).
But... If so, the character model was clearly designed by someone unfamiliar with what they actually look like...
I agree.....the character designer has clearly never seen an aboriginal woman in his/her life....unless they pull some shit like 'she was born in Somalia and moved to Australia when she was a kid' or something....either that, or its a stylised Aboriginal, or they actually found a model who looks like that. They are out there. They're not all bumming cigs and screaming at each other at the local train station >.<
Lol, oh, I know that. I used to live in the NT, as well as seeing what's been going on in places like Sydney.
You get all the bad racial stereotypes, and the stuff directed entirely at tourists. But nonetheless it's hard to escape the most obvious conclusion here...
And it's unlikely to be the artist trying to make any meaningful point about racial stereotypes.
In a zombie game? Nope! XD

And yeah, in WA we get all the stereotypes. It really sucks for the full-bloods who just wanna take care of their culture or just wanna be left alone.

The more i think about it, the more i doubt this character is gonna be anything Australian at all. Perhaps an accent, but thats it. I mean....Purna? Doesn't sound like any Noongah name i've heard of...sounds suspiciously African. Which begs the question - did the developers just decide to throw in an Aussie backstory with an African character model because they want more black women in games, or was it an honest mistake?
It gives me the impression of a lack of communication.

Like... one person decided on a name...

A second wrote the back-story,

and a third created the character model, and from there, none of those three ever checked stuff between them to see if it made any kind of sense. (let alone that some of the more obscure details added up...)

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
It just seems like the only actual good part of this game is the first trailer...

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
gameplay actually looks pretty good

starting to get more interest in this game actually

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
ultimateownage said:
Zac Smith said:
Am I the only one who doesn't give two hoots about all the characters and just wants to play as the Dad from the trailer. He was way more awesome then everyone combined. I don't care if he's part off a side-story, I want his story!
You already saw his story. He got eaten alive by zombies in his apartment shortly after throwing his daughter to her death and watching his wife die in front of him, in what was meant to be a fun holiday they had saved up years to afford.
See, now I made myself a little depressed. =(
Best response ever.

OT: Can I just have the game now? Damn.

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
What I don't get is...Why people are judging a character of fiction for being absurd and wearing a short dress in a zombie apocalypse on a tropical island.

The character and model was designed to be attractive,interesting and likable.The epic trailer must be spoiling a lot of people's games.

beefpelican

Apr 15, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
I don't think that Dead Island's best features are going to be its characterization and narrative.
I think you're right, which makes me sad. I know the teaser had everyone hoping for a game with good characterization and narrative. It would make the whole zombie killing thing more meaningful than all the zombie killing we'd seen before.

Grotch Willis

May 10, 2011
J03bot said:
What's the deal with this game? Thus far it looks like an open world Left 4 Dead. Don't get me wrong, that sounds awesome, but not as revolutionary as everyone seems to be claiming.
Feel free to enlighten me - I don't actually know all that much about it.
Yeah, it looks like this is just going to be what Brink is to TF2. A shitty knock off with a gimmick.

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
Well great, now we get to play as an ex cop that abused their power and killed a person in cold blood. Makes that character so likable! Regardless for the reason, that's a major turn off for character development for me when you want me to actually care for this person. (And seriously, she murders someone on the job, and is just allowed to leave the force with no legal repercussions? They're trying pretty hard to make her some really outstanding moral character, it seems!)

As for the game: It's not interesting me so far. When it first came out with that trailer, I was very interested. However, very little information spread around, and the bits that were seemed bland and boring to me. I think I'll pass on this game, especially since money's tight lately and so many other games are coming out such as TOR, BF3, MW3, Gears 3, etc that I have preordered and ready.

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
Zhukov said:
Huh. An Australian character. Not something you see all that often.

If I get this game, I may end up playing as her just for the novelty of hearing a voice from home in a game. Although they might have someone from a different country putting on a Australian accent.

Actually, that would be even better. Listening to other people trying to imitate our twang is usually pretty hilarious.
I've not yet heard a convincing Australian accent in a video game. Ever...

Maybe it's something about recording equipment that makes us Australians sound weird?

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Grotch Willis said:
J03bot said:
What's the deal with this game? Thus far it looks like an open world Left 4 Dead. Don't get me wrong, that sounds awesome, but not as revolutionary as everyone seems to be claiming.
Feel free to enlighten me - I don't actually know all that much about it.
Yeah, it looks like this is just going to be what Brink is to TF2. A shitty knock off with a gimmick.
Oh yes, because Team Fortress 2 totally invented class based multiplayer.

On-topic: Dead Island looks quite fun if nothing else. The teaser was misleading as hell though, I don't get why they didn't go with that idea instead.

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
I never played RE5, but how is this an 'answer to Resident Evil's Sheva Alomar?' Is it because she's a black woman?

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Is this game Left 4 Dead 3, or what? Am I the only one who feels like this thing has been done before, and likely better, too.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
No thanks I've already played Left 4 Dead.

Trolling aside, did you really think they were going to take another female character seriously? How is, "oh well she can kick ass too" a good enough excuse? That hardly makes her the Joan d'Arc (or whoever) of the zombified island.