Dead Island Headed for Hollywood

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
So... a zombie movie focusing on the humans?
Like a Transformers movie focusing on Shia Lebeouff?
OR
Like a Sonic game focusing on Shadow the Hedgehog?
or
Like a Jackie Chan movie focusing on Chris Tucker?

I dunno if I like this idea. :p

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
Phlakes said:
At least it sounds like they're on the right track. A zombie apocalypse should be a setting with a focus on characters (in most cases). That's why almost every movie fails, because they go the heads getting sploded direction, which is good for maybe a Youtube video.
The Walking Dead is a character driven zombie story. Also, if the adaptation of World War Z follows its source material, it's not only character driven but told in a series of unrelated flashbacks. (Great read btw)

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
movie adaptations have become so lazy they're not even gonna make an adaptation of the video game, they're gonna make a movie based on the trailer that had almost nothing to do with the game, lol.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
So they're making a movie based on the trailer for the game?

I'm still waiting for the game based on the trailer for the game...

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
I'm actually lookin forward to it. Most zombie movies fail to focus on the emotion and mental hardships and a film focused on that sounds nice.
Being cynical about it for no reason whatsoever seems to satisfy a lot of people though...

Cropsy91

Apr 4, 2010
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Hevva said:
but users then found some disturbing, misogynistic code [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112870-Steam-User-Finds-Misogynistic-Joke-Buried-in-Dead-Island-Code-UPDATED] hidden within than accidental copy.
Really? Disturbing, misogynistic joke? Or... OR... a tiny inside joke that was blown way out of proportion by a lot of terribly easy-to-offend people.
Yeah, I have to agree with you there; I rolled my eyes the moment I read that. The only real disturbing thing is the way people will make small, stupid things into sensationalist garbage.

But yeah, as for this movie, I can't say I have much faith in these filmmakers when they're not only working with a video game license (of which they're only using the trailer for reference), but also going as far as to say they will innovate the zombie genre with 'human emotion'. Most of the best zombie films -are- about human emotion, just look at the original Dead trilogy.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
believer258 said:
Could be alright. I'm always up for a little nonlinear storytelling. Well, OK, the only thing nonlinear I've actually seen is Baccano but if there are other such stories that are just as genius, well, I need to go find them.

This damn sure won't be groundbreaking, though. Possibly entertaining, but not groundbreaking.
Baccano! (which is one of my favorite stories, +1) has many cousins in terms of non-linear storytelling, it's just that most of them are the kind of cousins whose family tree looks like a thorn bush. It's so easy to mishandle, so many do.

OT: So, this game. I've played a bit of it, and kind of agree with everyone else in the world that you may as well gloss over the story completely. It's immersion is pretty much zero and I'm so interested in finding out the ending that I'm returning the rental tomorrow and probably not picking it up again. Everyone loves it for the game mechanics, which don't really translate well to the silver screen.

As for the trailer, it was really good but it was also really short, which was a large part of its success. It was punchy and succinct, if they try to recreated it in movie form then it's just going to go south.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
To truly capture the Dead Island experience in a movie, FIRST they'll release a trailer with some scenes edited that tells a heartbreaking story about a family caught in the midst of the zombie outbreak. That'll make up about 5-10 minutes of the actual movie. The rest of the movie will be Resident Evil (the films) meets Hangover, but with more bad jokes and one liners, and electric machetes.

Now that I've written that out it kind of reminds me of what happened with Green Lantern....

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Doc Theta Sigma said:
For the love of all that is good can we stop with the zombies? Seriously?
Why should zombie fans not get their zombie movies when we constantly have a dozen or more rom/coms every month released? And considering that they make money......

Personally, and unlike just about every internet user, I'll wait until the movie comes out before I lambaste it for sucking and being a zombie movie and so forth that people constantly complain about.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Well if they go the 'original character do not steal' route of the resident evil movies at least they won't be pissing off the fans (as badly) since it's such a newer... I guess the movie makes it a franchise.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
Doc Theta Sigma said:
For the love of all that is good can we stop with the zombies? Seriously?
This sums my thoughts quite nicely. Seriously, do movie producers think that zombies, werewolves and vampires are the only mythical creatures or something?

Feb 13, 2008
Hevva said:
"Like the hundreds of journalists and millions of fans who were so passionate and vocal about the Dead Island trailer, we too were awestruck," added Joe Drake, Lionsgate's COO. "This is exactly the type of property we're looking to adapt at Lionsgate - it's sophisticated, edgy, and a true elevation of a genre that we know and love. It also has built in brand recognition around the world, and franchise potential."
I don't think there's ever been a statement since the infamous "rivers of blood" speech that's made me twitch at every single word.

"Sophisticated and edgy" almost brought on a full power screaming fit.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
SilverUchiha said:
So... a zombie movie focusing on the humans?
Like a Transformers movie focusing on Shia Lebeouff?
OR
Like a Sonic game focusing on Shadow the Hedgehog?
or
Like a Jackie Chan movie focusing on Chris Tucker?

I dunno if I like this idea. :p
Heh, when you put it that way...

The_Emperor

Mar 18, 2010
"ok we just made that film from that book that came out and people liked, what else do people like? Oh the internet says people like that game, that might make money! LULZ BUYBUYBUY!1"

There are no original AAA movies anymore. There will never be again because "the market" makes less money from originality

The monetary system ruins everything it touches.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
Yes, the trailer for the game was very emotional and moving...pity the GAME has pretty much been a by-the-numbers reskinning of Borderlands with Dead Rising taped over the surface. Not that I haven't been enjoying the game to some degree, but I think this goes to show you: a game can be decidedly unoriginal, but if the hype and marketing is good enough, it can fool even people in the entertainment business, even a major movie producer.