Dead Island- What in God's name were they thinking?!

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Now, let me clarify. I've been having a lot of fun with Dead Island. It was great. The resort setting and brutal melee combat really sucked me in a was great fun.
And then Acts 2 and 3 happened.
All the fun bright melee combat was replaced with sewer sections, and jungle firefights. What the fuck. Everything was going along fantastically to make a really fun game, and then it's like the developers went "Oh no guys, we haven't made the game shit enough! Quick, add tedious treks through sewers and really boring gunfights against a boss who can take hundreds of bullets!"
Please tell me the game gets better from here on out, because I'm really losing the motivation to play.
[sub][sub](Also this was on singleplayer in case anyone was wondering.)[/sub][/sub]

Strixvaliano

Feb 8, 2011
I haven't had the chance to try out Dead Island yet but from what you described it sounds like it has a case of Far Cry and True Crime syndrome.

Warning: There be spoilers below for some pretty old games :p

Both games I had a blast in until towards the later part of the game where in Far Cry you start fighting genetically altered mutants and in True Crime you started fighting demons. Then the games just went to absolute crud for me.

I still want to check out Dead Island but thanks for the heads up.

Xannieros

Jul 29, 2008
I actually liked the sewers and city thanks. Jungle is okay, I played both solo and co-op (Not often).

Some things I want to point out.
*Patch has been added. (Was developer copy, not the finished one.) If steam version, re-download.
*Bosses in most games take an absurd amount of damage. And they're still easy solo.
*Resort was actually quite boring, as it was just pool/hut.
*People would complain anyways if the whole game was the resort. (QQ for the sake of QQ)
*Gun fights are limited, as you still fight zombies in between fights.

I think of the City/Sewers to be more of a "horror" setting. More grim outlook on the zombie outbreak. The jungle was to show the
origins and background of the outbreak. IF you followed the story any.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yeah, I had a similar experience.

Act 1 (resort) was pretty good, although it was wearing rather thin by the end.
Act 2 (town) was a fucking chore, but I managed to drag myself through it.
Act 3 (jungle) was just stupid. After my fourth cover-based gunfight against humans, I completely lost interest.

To anyone reading this, if you have some friends to play co-op with then go ahead. You'll probably have a blast. Otherwise, just don't bother. Dead Island is definitely not worth your full price.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
It was worth the full $34 to me, I think it's a great game, especially if you have some people to game with. I liked the change-up from melee to shooting. It's not a bad thing since it gives you a bit more diversity. You'll eventually start getting guns that are good for zombies or humans.

gostlyfantom

Jan 22, 2011
I found the firefights to be a brief excuse to give you ammo, also i loved the jungle as it went into the backstory of the outbreak.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
I'm only up to Act 2, but I really wish they just hadn't put any firearms in the game. I much prefer just melee combat.

So far I also loved the beach, and Act 1 setting, to the city.

FirstPersonWinner

Apr 16, 2009
Act 2 and 3 didn't really add that many guns. Other than a few missions against armed living people where I'd whip out the old pistol for some easy head-shots, the bajillion zombies I fought (And I took the long explore-y route in this game, so I was lvl 20 before Act 1 ended so I fought A LOT outside of missions) required me to almost always switch to melee fighting.

But maybe that's just me. I preferred the city section density over the mostly abandoned Resort zone.