Dead Island

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Someone else is buying it for me, so I'm mostly indifferent.

This game could blow like Satchmo, and I'll still probably get some co-op fun out of it.

Since it'll be free.

Bad co-op is sometimes better than good co-op for me, oddly.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Inkidu said:
Macrobstar said:
genericusername64 said:
I heard its broken so wait a month or two before getting it
Edit: Sorry for using stawman before http://www.destructoid.com/review-dead-island-210611.phtml
Day one patch buddy
Oh and HELL YEH IM GETTING IT!
Well happy-go-lucky fuck on a stick. I don't really have powerful enough internet for fucking XBL so I guess I'm just screwed. That seems like all developers are doing to me today. I was on the fence now I'm most decidedly never going to buy it, at least nowhere near new price. I'm tired of this ship and fix crap. Make good games. Sure, I was going to play it single player and maybe that's not the point, but I'll be damned if I do it now with a thirty-seven item-fix patch on day one.

Obsidian meet Techland, have a baby and we'll never be able to play the games it produces.
Yeah. These days, games are pushed out the door half-finished, and then fixed later in a patch-job.

Being without internet for pretty much my main first run of Oblivion was hell, especially due to the 360s already high crash rate.

That's why I really appreciate it when a game comes out that is POLISHED TO A FUCKING SHINE, like most handheld games I play. They CAN'T get patched, so they have to make it run well from the start.

Apr 28, 2008
Doubt I'll be getting it. Currently suffering zombie fatigue.

Seems to be a co-op game, and since it seems to have no split-screen and since my internet is complete ass, it doesn't have anything to offer me.

OverweightWhale

Apr 19, 2010
I'm aware there may be many bugs and problems with the game to start, but I'm sure they'll release a patch to fix major problems if they a rise. Also the PC version will be moddable so I'm hoping for good things to come out of that.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I have a few friends who pre-ordered it and are waiting anxiously for it to unlock on Steam. For that reason alone, I may get it. Simply to enjoy hours of co-oping fun with them.

However, if this were not the case, then I can honestly say I'm not that interested in it. Not anymore, anyway. I was when I first heard of it and saw that amazing reveal trailer. But, oh how disappointed I was to learn it was going to be nothing like that. Nothing but zany, over-the-top, stereo-typical violence and one-dimensional characters. And the more I see, the more my disappointment grows. Especially after reading several reviews lamenting the utterly abhorrent bugs that plague the game.

And yeah, yeah. Say what you will about "day one patches", but it does not sit well with me when a game is shipped out with such horrific bugs that it will seemingly need to be continually patched for the foreseeable future. Just to make it "playable". (Brink anyone?) I mean, hell, I've heard they didn't even bother to replace some of the place-holder animations. That's just lazy.

Besides, I have Project Zomboid. A game that, while looking like a slight upgrade from X-com, actually provides all the things I had hoped for in Dead Island. Plus it's about an eighth of the price, so...

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I am pretty excited for it. The game-play looks pretty fun and it seems to have a good story. I am going to the midnight release at my local GameStop to pick up both Dead Island and Warhammer 40k: Space Marine. I can't wait.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
Grey Carter said:
OverweightWhale said:
So is anyone else getting this and/or excited for this game? From what I've read and heard it's actually pretty good. I already pre loaded it on steam and it's supposed to unlock at 9 pm tonight for me. Also, if anyone is up for co op on steam my name is Overweight Whale. I have 2 other friends getting it, but they're usually flakes when it comes to playing co op.
I'm certainly picking it up. Where abouts do you live, mate? I'd rather the co-op not be a lag fest.
mcnally86 if anyone wants to play with me on steam.

Incidentally I live in Washington state near the border. Is there an amount of appreciable lag going across borders or is geography a bigger concern?

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
I Sit here in a state of flux waiting for it to be the best zombie game out there.

With the same chance that it sucks butts.

With a slim chance that it is the nail in the coffin, that kills zombie styled games before they make even one true to source zombie fps or third ps, where you kill zombies manage your house/ empire of properties, food, and water on a daily level, while fending off people who would backstab you for your supplies at a moments notice.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
mcnally86 said:
Grey Carter said:
OverweightWhale said:
So is anyone else getting this and/or excited for this game? From what I've read and heard it's actually pretty good. I already pre loaded it on steam and it's supposed to unlock at 9 pm tonight for me. Also, if anyone is up for co op on steam my name is Overweight Whale. I have 2 other friends getting it, but they're usually flakes when it comes to playing co op.
I'm certainly picking it up. Where abouts do you live, mate? I'd rather the co-op not be a lag fest.
mcnally86 if anyone wants to play with me on steam.

Incidentally I live in Washington state near the border. Is there an amount of appreciable lag going across borders or is geography a bigger concern?
Nah, generally it's based on raw distance. I play TF2 on West Coast servers all the time.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Preloaded and ready, steam id is mooshielar/TsunamiWombat PS ^ Dis guy totally not a big deal

Lemme know if anyone finds that "who do you vodoo b*tch" tune as a single on youtube

OverweightWhale

Apr 19, 2010
I'll add people who put their steam names up. I'm still looking for co op partners. Although I might play single player to start so I can get a feel for the controls first.

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
I'm interested because I know three other people who also are wanting to try it. So I'll be able to play online and have everyone going.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
OverweightWhale said:
I'm aware there may be many bugs and problems with the game to start, but I'm sure they'll release a patch to fix major problems if they a rise. Also the PC version will be moddable so I'm hoping for good things to come out of that.
Moddable you say? My interest in this game has gone from "Wont get it till steam sale" to "I might seriously consider getting it over Resistance 3".

OverweightWhale

Apr 19, 2010
Waaghpowa said:
OverweightWhale said:
Moddable you say? My interest in this game has gone from "Wont get it till steam sale" to "I might seriously consider getting it over Resistance 3".
I've seen two different modding forums for the game so far. It seems people are really interested in making an ultra realism mod for the game.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
OverweightWhale said:
Waaghpowa said:
OverweightWhale said:
I've seen two different modding forums for the game so far. It seems people are really interested in making an ultra realism mod for the game.
I suddenly feel justified in my purchase, didn't even know that.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
I've got it, though due to work, I haven't had much chance to enjoy it. I have the next four days off though, in which I'm going to fucking destroy it.

I'm only ten percent in to the main story, but so far I'm really enjoying it. Its like Oblivion fused with Left 4 Dead, at least for the blunt weapons expert character. I've read from reviews that a lot of people felt it was very reminiscent of Borderlands.

But I recommend it to everyone. Its been very good to me thus far. My favorite thing about it is, at least in the beginning, you have to take on each zombie one at a time. It isn't a "boom! I just killed all 80 zombies in one machine gun spray!" like Left 4 Dead. Its patient and challenging.