Dead Islands "Australian" accents (they're not Australian)

Mudze

Jan 6, 2011
If you're annoyed at the perception of the Aussie accent being portrayed as purely outback for the rest of the world, you're probably a few decades behind on Australian humour.

We're f**kin' with the world, mate. And I mean, there are some things that are true, like putting vegemite behind your ears to stop the dropbears, but the foreigners don't know what's true and what's false, so they end up being paranoid and confused.

Hell, every Aussie I know (a fair few, since I live in greater western Sydney) instantly plays up the outback element when they hear a foreign person talking to them. It's just a laugh on our part.

lilmcnessy

Sep 3, 2011
jyork89 said:
Sounds more like "Home and Awayish" or "Cath and Kimish" than Crocodile Hunter to me. You think you've got it bad. Every time Americans do the New Zealand accent they seem just slap on an Aussie accent. At least they have a vague idea of what you sound like.
i laughed so badly when i heard this accent

What I don't understand about the game is, why do they even have Australian accents, its set on a pacific island

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
ZydrateDealer said:
SammiYin said:
As an Englishman, I can just say you're getting it easy.
As a Welshman I can say that people in glass houses shouldn't 'do' accents when they're talking to a foreign friend or find out someone has any nationality other than English or they're liable to need a good window replacement service.
When it comes to accents "imitation is the sincerest form of asking for a smack in the teeth."

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
Dude I work as a broadcast monitor in an Austraian company monitoring Australian media. There are plenty of people who sound steriotypically Australian. Also, Sam Worthington did not sound Australian in Avatar despite him being Australian.

Don't know why Australians seem so hung up on their accent. Yeah, when it gets strong it's awful but same with the Kiwi accent and we don't get all pissy about Flight of the Conchords.

Terminally Chill

Jun 21, 2011
The OP answered his own question.

y1fella said:
People Like Steve Irwin were the exception.
Steve Irwin was from semi-rural QLD or something, no? I've been all around Australia and I met a few people in QLD/NSW with what I guess you could call "TV Australian", the heavy East Coast accent that seems to spread thin the further south you go. Not saying it's exclusive to those states, or that everyone there speaks like that, it's just more common. I think the accents in the trailer are quite plausible.

Then again, I remember thinking Chloe from UC2 had the worst Australian accent I'd ever heard in a game... and of course, I then find out that the VA is Australian.

Apr 28, 2008
Oh, many reasons for this. I'd sum them up here, but I'll just link you to a place which sums up the basic problem quite adequately [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealityIsUnrealistic].

Basically, because of years and years of media getting it wrong, people now think it's what Australians(or others from other nationalities) sound like.

Makes me sad.

EDIT: Also, this [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BritishAccents] is a nice read.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
I once lived in a mining town in QLD. Seemed liked the whole town had that accent. Seeing as the location of the game is just off the coast of Papua New Guinea. I won't be surpised if most of the Australians there are from QLD.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Woodsey said:
I once had someone categorically state to me that Yahtzee has an Australian accent, (and I'm British). Meanwhile, Rocksteady have employed Nolan North to do a Cockney accent for the Penguin in Arkham City.

So yeah, we feel your pain too.
This.

According to Hollywood there are only 3 British people in the world. Dick Van Dyke, James Bond, and The Queen.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Robert Ewing said:
Classic Dick Van Dyke syndrome here.

It's not an Australian accent. But it sounds like it could be Australian.
Except Dick Van Dyke's problem was that the accent coach Disney hired for him was a true blue Dubliner. So you've got a man from Dublin teaching an American how to speak Cockey, and well, you know how it ended.

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
Von Strimmer said:
MrMahalek said:
BanicRhys said:
Well actually, as an Australian I can say that most of those accents sounded realistic, they might be pretty broad but there are people who talk like that *cough* Queensland *cough* in this country.
from Queensland and yeah its kinda true sorry
I second that notion. Especially the more north you go. In Brisbane its not AS bad (except for the unusual some who seem to add the word 'but' at the end of sentences). If I'm honest I love the accent its so stupid and comical you cant help but have a chuckle. I imagine every nationality has this problem though.

ALTHOUGH it would be so much better if the bloke yelled out: "SO WHERE THE BLOODY HELL ARE YA?"
We're not all that bad north of Rockie. I'm from Cairns originally, and trust me, not broad.

Got family in Ayr however, and they're broader than two barns. Probably why I don't speak to them.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I'm german and i never heard a authentic sounding german accent in any foreign medium ever but it never really bothered me...

Von Strimmer

Apr 17, 2011
BlueMage said:
Von Strimmer said:
MrMahalek said:
BanicRhys said:
Well actually, as an Australian I can say that most of those accents sounded realistic, they might be pretty broad but there are people who talk like that *cough* Queensland *cough* in this country.
from Queensland and yeah its kinda true sorry
I second that notion. Especially the more north you go. In Brisbane its not AS bad (except for the unusual some who seem to add the word 'but' at the end of sentences). If I'm honest I love the accent its so stupid and comical you cant help but have a chuckle. I imagine every nationality has this problem though.

ALTHOUGH it would be so much better if the bloke yelled out: "SO WHERE THE BLOODY HELL ARE YA?"
We're not all that bad north of Rockie. I'm from Cairns originally, and trust me, not broad.

Got family in Ayr however, and they're broader than two barns. Probably why I don't speak to them.
SHHH! The Americans and Europeans don't need to know that... I'm trying to fix our tourism industry here by making us all sound different! go along with it mate.

SO Americans and Europeans... WHERE THE BLOODY HELL ARE YA?

Also completely off topic here but I am voting for Katters Australian Party next election. He just has style.

Von Strimmer

Apr 17, 2011
Also whats with all the Queensland racism in this thread? :p Are we the retarded brothers and sisters up north that get shunned into the basement every time the guests roll around?

Desert Warrior

Sep 15, 2009
Having lived in Northern Queensland most of my life I can tell you that there are a LOT of people who sound like that.
Now I'm living in regional S.A and there is still a lot of people who sound like that.
You may not like the stereotypes, and we don't all sound like that but for each stereotype there is some amount of truth.

TheKwertyeweyoppe

Jan 1, 2010
I think this is the effect of living in urban areas of western culture (and before someone corrects me I know Australia's technically in the East I live there), there seems to be a universally accepted 'accent' that develops from mixed culture and TV influence. So some people will say that no-one in their country sounds like that despite that they do, they just live further out than you.

Also people take the presentation of a single character as the games interpretation of everyone. (In other words, 'one character's a stereotype' becomes 'everyones a stereotype'.

P.S. I cringed when I heard the accents too, despite the fact I knew they were probabely accurate. Also I'm Australian, thought I should add that.