Dead Islands "Australian" accents (they're not Australian)

y1fella

Jul 29, 2009
For those of you who haven't been following dead island they released a new trailer in which a life guard with a tattooed face speaks a few words in an "Australian" accent.
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/launch-trailer-dead-island/720094
This is the trailer in question. I would just like to say that his voice does not sound anything like and Australians actually does. That accent is not Australian but rather what yanks seem to think an Australian accent sounds like.
People Like Steve Irwin were the exception. There are people from Australia who sound like that but they are very few and very very far between.
Come to think of it the only realistic sounding Australian accent in American pop culture I can think of is the main character from avatar. Jake Sully I think his name was but I did just watch monsters ink so I'm probably wrong.
A perfect example of what I'm talking about is the story of a friend of mine who went to America to pursue a career in acting, and auditioned to play the role of an Australian man in a theater show. He was the only Australian at the audition so he assumed he would get the role. When he got up there and spoke the line the judges reminded him he was not supposed to be playing a British character but an Australian one!
Eh whatever. Dead Island looks great and I'm not really criticizing it.
Do any other Australians out there cringe when they here the line
"Hulloh? Caann yehr hier meh!"
I really don't mean to sound like a whining *****.
Edit: any other nationality feeling the fake accent burn?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I once had someone categorically state to me that Yahtzee has an Australian accent, (and I'm British). Meanwhile, Rocksteady have employed Nolan North to do a Cockney accent for the Penguin in Arkham City.

So yeah, we feel your pain too.

y1fella

Jul 29, 2009
Woodsey said:
I once had someone categorically state to me that Yahtzee has an Australian accent, (and I'm British). Meanwhile, Rocksteady have employed Nolan North to do a Cockney accent for the Penguin in Arkham City.

So yeah, we feel your pain too.
Now that sucks.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Well actually, as an Australian I can say that most of those accents sounded realistic, they might be pretty broad but there are people who talk like that *cough* Queensland *cough* in this country.

y1fella

Jul 29, 2009
BanicRhys said:
Well actually, as an Australian I can say that most of those accents sounded realistic, they might be pretty broad but there are people who talk like that *cough* Queensland *cough* in this country.
Yes there are people who talk like that as I said but they are in the vast minority. I promise you that the majority of people who sound like that live in out back Australia and that's what I meant by "very very far between". And as you probably;y know 80% of Australia's population live on the east coast. and the an other 15 percent live in South Australia and Perth.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
y1fella said:
Yes there are people who talk like that as I said but they are in the vast minority. I promise you that the majority of people who sound like that live in out back Australia and that's what I meant by "very very far between". And as you probably;y know 80% of Australia's population live on the east coast. and the an other 15 percent live in South Australia and Perth.
Not every Australian accent in that trailer was an uncommon one the others were all very common general accents, I don't see why you need to get upset because foreigners are acknowledging the existence of the broad Australian accent.

y1fella

Jul 29, 2009
BanicRhys said:
y1fella said:
Not every Australian accent in that trailer was an uncommon one the others were all very common general accents, I don't see why you need to get upset because foreigners are acknowledging the existence of the broad Australian accent.
No this isn't a criticism of the dead Island accents in particular but of the general broad perception of the Australian accent being the "broad Australia" accent. Dead island actually has me fairly pleased but the Accent in that trailer just had me thinking about this.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Classic Dick Van Dyke syndrome here.

It's not an Australian accent. But it sounds like it could be Australian.

MrMahalek

Jun 18, 2010
BanicRhys said:
from Queensland and yeah its kinda true sorry

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
SammiYin said:
As an Englishman, I can just say you're getting it easy.
As an Irishman, I can just say you're getting it easy.

I live in England too, so everyone I meet seems to try an Irish accent 'for a laugh'. It is always awful.

Von Strimmer

Apr 17, 2011
MrMahalek said:
BanicRhys said:
from Queensland and yeah its kinda true sorry
I second that notion. Especially the more north you go. In Brisbane its not AS bad (except for the unusual some who seem to add the word 'but' at the end of sentences). If I'm honest I love the accent its so stupid and comical you cant help but have a chuckle. I imagine every nationality has this problem though.

ALTHOUGH it would be so much better if the bloke yelled out: "SO WHERE THE BLOODY HELL ARE YA?"

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
y1fella said:
Edit: any other nationality feeling the fake accent burn?
Every time someone does a "Dutch accent" They say a few words akwardly in english and then continue in Semi-German altogether. This is everywhere, for example in in Austin Powers, South Park, the simpsons in Sudeki (in sudeki one of the main characters actually is a dutch guy speaking english and occasionaly in dutch, but all the other people from his country who should speak the same language are german).

Even the word Dutch is stupid as Germans call themselves Deutch where it's derived from, but we "Dutch" people call ourselfs; Nederlanders.

You Aussies don't have it that bad.

WalrusPowers

Mar 30, 2011
I don't know if you've actually been to Australia, Mr OP Sir, but where I live, every 10th adult male shares that exact accent.

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
y1fella said:
Come to think of it the only realistic sounding Australian accent in American pop culture I can think of is the main character from avatar. Jake Sully I think his name was but I did just watch monsters ink so I'm probably wrong.
The character Jake Sully was supposed to be American. However, the actor Sam Worthington (English-born Australian), just isn't very good at doing an American accent. The first half of the film isn't too bad, but his Australian accent gets a lot more obvious by the end.

Also, the idea of using the broad Australian accent isn't just an American thing, happens in British television as well. I'm remembering an pretty funny episode of Coupling.

Also, it isn't just Steve Irwin...before Steve Irwin there was Crocodile Dundee. What I'm trying to say is that Australia often exports that Outback broad image to the rest of the world themselves...so it isn't surprising that is what people then pick up on as their idea of the Australian accent.

While Australia has exported a few women with less broad accents (Olivia Newton-John, Kylie Minogue), there are very few male example that aren't Outback Bruce...or whatever.

Anyhow, I think everyone gets the bad accent treatment. I mean, the way people to French, German, and Italian accents goes beyond bad and slides right on into parody. Scots and Irish get it bad as well. And non-American actors often can't do American accents well either (though I think Australian actors do some of the best American accents).

warhammerfrog

Feb 7, 2011
Meh the stereotype sells. And the whole term what an Australian sounds like is very outdated now, we have had a huge influx of differnet ethnic groups with differnet accents.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Stuff like this makes me somewhat happy that Norway is pretty much never featured in games...everyone would sound like the guys in "Dude, where's my car?"

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
That's okay, most Australians and British have no idea what an American accent actually sounds like. :) Honestly, you'd all think we were from Texas, a really... rural part of Texas.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Next you'll tell me Australia doesn't mandate that "crocodile" be somewhere in a person's name if they become famous outside the country. Case in point:

Crocodile Dundee
Steve "Crocodile Hunter" Irwin
Russell Crowecodile