Dead Pool 1 or 2: which is better?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Forget Picard vs. Kirk. I'm here to torture your brains. Which movie is better: Deadpool 1 or 2?
Your arguments are invited.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Both have the signature Deadpool style of over the top and crude but not pushing it. Deadpool 1's main draw is simply that at the time there was little in superhero movies that was R rated and that Deadpool hadn't really been done before.

HAD NEVER REALLY BEEN DONE BEFORE!!!

Deadpool 2 was just better done all around. Better characters, better actors, better script, better effects... probably all because they had actually had a budget. It's only real problem was killing off the female lead for no real reason thus forcing her to barely appear.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Deadpool 1, simply due to 2 killing the girlfriend off in a cowardly manner and then spending the entire opening credits padding itself on the back for being shocking and "bold", despite this being a giant fucking trope in male led action movies. Can't say I like either movie much, but that shit at the start of Deadpool 2 just fucking soured most of that movie for me. You just boasted about getting Austin Powers 2's old, crusty run-off Deadpool, congratulations.

Reactions: gorfias

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Deadpool 2 is better for me. While it doesn't help that Deadpool's significant other is fridged early, it's better overall - bigger, and funnier. The truck chase especially sticks out.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
The movies are called Deadpool and not Deadpool & random chicks. But as mentioned it was a funnier gag on its own in Austin Powers yet still Deadpool 2 is the better one imo.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Deadpool 1, Deadpool 2 meanders in parts that kinda drag on a bit too long for me. 2 is solid, but I've ended up rewatching the first one more.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
They're more or less the same to me in terms of comedy, but Deadpool 2 is such a bigger movie in terms of action so I think that edges it over.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
...I didn't really like either one. I don't enjoy the Deadpool style of humor. It reminds me a lot of later series Family Guy jokes, where the joke is that they're aware the jokes are bad. Like the Family Guy Star Wars movies, Return of the Jedi has the opening scroll talk about how the writers didn't want to do the movie, how the jokes are lame, they're over-worked, and they let the interns write most of it so don't expect it to be funny. And then the movie isn't funny.

Like in Deadpool they openly joke about how they can't afford any of the Xmen and its always the same 2 cheapo characters in an empty mansion, and boy wouldn't it be funny if the other showed up...and then they never did. Halley Berry never dropped in as Storm, Patrick Stewart never came in to tell Deadpool to fuck off, nothing. They joke about how they're not good enough, and then proceed to not be good enough. And that style of humor just makes me feel sad.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Didn't care enough for the first one to watch the second. Only watched it because my supervisor and her son were so enthusiastic about it.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
The first one, like most multi part franchises. The sequel went bigger but also did the same for everything that was only slightly annoying about the original.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Forget Picard vs. Kirk. I'm here to torture your brains. Which movie is better: Deadpool 1 or 2?
Your arguments are invited.
Deadpool 1

I've not seen Deadpool 2 but this is one of the few moments I'm going to take a stand about something and basically say a film is worse not due to the film itself but stuff around it

Due to penny pinching and Studio bullshit a woman died needlessly filming Deadpool 2 after getting thrown into an off set area and going headfirst through a pane of glass during a stunt. She wasn't a trained stunt person but a professional motorbike racer they got in to do it and by most accounts sort of pressured to do the sequence for fear of letting people down. Already during a rehearsal of that stunt she's had an accident previously and luckily escaped with only minor injuries. Professional stunt people claimed the stunt sequence would be a tough one for trained stunt personnel to do because it was a long sequence (Done to save money rather than set up individual shots for parts of it). She asked about wearing a helmet and the studio refused claiming it would be too expensive to CGI the actresses face and Afro on. She then asked about doing it but attacking the Afro wig to the helment somehow and the executives still refused citing costs. So she was pressured into doing a complex stunt without being a trained stunt professional without safety equipment that would have potentially saved her life. I feel knowing that I just can't look at the film and even if I had seen it I wouldn't be able to keep a Zen level of detachment to try and be objective. Any film that costs a persons life due to penny pinching and gross negligence basically can never be seen as a superior film

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Deadpool 1

I've not seen Deadpool 2 but this is one of the few moments I'm going to take a stand about something and basically say a film is worse not due to the film itself but stuff around it
I'd never heard this story before! Very disturbing.

$300K fine?!?!??

I don't know what p.g.a. means in this context:

Ryan Reynolds: Producer (produced by) (p.g.a.)

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Deadpool 2 was better for me. I found the more emotional moments in Deadpool 2 worked unexpectedly well, and having Cable to bounce off of in comparison to Colossus was an upgrade for me. Not that his scenes in the first with Colossus weren't good/funny, but the chemistry between Brolin and Reynolds seemed more natural to me.

Reactions: BrawlMan