Dead Rising 2 Finally Abandons Games for Windows Live

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Dead Rising 2 Finally Abandons Games for Windows Live

Dead Rising 2 has finally cast off the abandoned Games for Windows Live in favor of Steamworks.

Games for Windows Live was a harsh lesson in failure for Microsoft, having such a tiny adoption rate that the software publisher simply decided to slowly migrating [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126910-Games-for-Windows-PC-Marketplace-Closes-This-Month] to greener pastures ever since, and now, the Games for Windows Live paddock has gotten one game smaller, with Capcom announcing that Dead Rising 2, as well as the stand-alone Off the Record, will be moving over to Steamworks.

If you already own these games either through Steam (as GFWL titles) or as boxed retail copies, you can acquire a Steamworks copy absolutely free. Simply take your GFWL activation code and redeem it on Steam to get your free copy. Those who have already purchased the game on Steam or through other online distributors selling Steam keys will automatically be upgraded to the full Steamworks edition.

To assist with the transition, a save data and Achievements migration tool has been built right into the game, so you can take all of your data with you.

Unfortunately, if you bought a digital copy of the game directly from the Microsoft GFWL marketplace, you won't be able to transition across to Steamworks, as Capcom has no way of authenticating your purchase. You will still be able to play the game on the GFWL service, however.

Similarly, any DLC purchased directly from the GFWL marketplace will not carry over to Steam.

Dead Rising 2 is one of the last vestiges of GFWL, and hopefully, with it's migration to Steam complete, we can put that whole dark chapter in PC gaming behind us...

Source: Capcom [http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2015/03/16/dead-rising-2-and-off-the-record-steamworks-transition-imminent]

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
I genuinely had no idea that Games for Windows Live was still around or in any state of functionality.

Not that it was ever in such a state, but still.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
There's no way to get an authentication code from Capcom or GFWL to use on Steam? Bummer for those in that position. Although, one can easily guess that publishers (especially the cheapsters at Capcom) don't want to put too much effort (AKA money) in a five year old PC game, but at least some effort was put in. GFWL was a mess, and the fact its issues still affect games today is unsurprising.

I can't wait to see if Microsoft's next PC game plans are even more of a fustercluck. The keyword here is see. I don't want to be apart of it, if it becomes the next GFWL. o_O

Except for Skyrim, which had the label but was (AFAIK) authenticated solely by Steamworks, and Fallout 3, which I re-bought on Steam as part of a massive Bethesda sale, I've never encountered GFWL. I've only heard the horror stories and knew not to risk it.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I tried it with a Live activation code from a boxed copy, and it doesn't work. The codes may not have been set, or this just won't work.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
It makes me wonder if "Age Of Empires Online" will find some way to return, the game had potential, but I thought it never had a chance to reach it (or properly expand and build/hold a player base) largely due to being saddled to that platform.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Cool. Now if we could get the first one to come to PC - No need to HDify it or anything, just bring it to us in good condition.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
LostGryphon said:
I genuinely had no idea that Games for Windows Live was still around or in any state of functionality.

Not that it was ever in such a state, but still.
Resident evil 5 still has GFWL chained around its neck. Been playing with a friend and its so clunky, but at least there has been no real technical issues preventing gameplay.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Therumancer said:
It makes me wonder if "Age Of Empires Online" will find some way to return, the game had potential, but I thought it never had a chance to reach it (or properly expand and build/hold a player base) largely due to being saddled to that platform.
You know, I had a lot of fun with that game. Mostly playing it as a single player experience though. Campaign missions and later the Skirmish mode. I never got into competitive RTS games at all. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing it brought back to life. I bought a couple of the civilizations to use back when it was new. Pretty decent value all things considered. I paid $20 for the Greeks and played at least 100 hours of it.

As for DR2 and Off The Record, it's good to know that they are finally freed from the shackles. Dead Rising is actually my favorite series of games, so hopefully this will mean that maybe it can draw in some new players now that GFWL is no longer a thorn in it's side.

Dr.Awkward said:
Cool. Now if we could get the first one to come to PC - No need to HDify it or anything, just bring it to us in good condition.
This person speaks wisely! This person speaks truth! I would love to have a copy of Dead Rising without having to hook up my 360.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Well, that may give me an excuse to play the game again in the future.

Steven Bogos said:
Similarly, any DLC purchased directly from the GFWL marketplace will not carry over to Steam.
May I ask... which DLC? There were only two for Dead Rising 2 (Case Zero and Case West) and neither came onto PC to begin with.

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
Great. Now to hope Bethesda does this with Fallout 3. GFWL is the main reason I haven't reinstalled my boxed copy on my new PC.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Saregon said:
Great. Now to hope Bethesda does this with Fallout 3. GFWL is the main reason I haven't reinstalled my boxed copy on my new PC.
I am pretty sure there is no need to wait for that as a "Disable GfwL"-tool exists which I use on Fallout 3 since I got it.

Edit:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/1086/?
There it is. Two clicks and your current installation of Fallout 3 won't have GfwL anymore (Obvious side-effect is disabling achievements)

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
Xman490 said:
I tried it with a Live activation code from a boxed copy, and it doesn't work. The codes may not have been set, or this just won't work.
Tried this just now and ditto. You were lied to, Escapist.