Dead Rising 3, WHAT HAPPENED?

southparkdudez

Feb 7, 2010
Ok so am I the only one who is disappointed at Dead Rising 3? It took all the color and wackiness out of the game that defined the series, Now its all brown, grey, and serious looking. It looks like a typical zombie game and that's what Dead Rising isn't ever since the first game it was funny and weird. Put on a woman's underwear and use a teddy bear for a weapon? Go ahead! But no now its "Call in COD airstrikes". Yes I am happy its open world and we have an entire GTA sized city to explore I'm truly happy for that. But I want to be weird and we a doll head with Daisy Duke shorts covered in zombie guts while driving 88 mph in a Delorean weird. So please Capcom or Microsoft it you see this bring us a real Dead Rising.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I found DR2 to be woefully lame, so I'm not exactly upset.

Still, it's hard not to wonder just what the fuck happened. At least DR2 let me run zombies over on a tricycle.

omegaweopon

Aug 25, 2009
What happened, is that we saw a small clip of an otherwise large game at E3. That area might be dull and gritty, but we've got an entire city to explore. I'm remaining optimistic, because I could only hope that Capcom doesn't have its head so far up its own ass that it doesn't realize what made the game unique in the first place.

But then again, this is the same studio that made Resident Evil, stupid, and stopped supporting the very character that made Capcom famous in the first place.

Oh god. We are screwed aren't we?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
omegaweopon said:
But then again, this is the same studio that made Resident Evil, stupid, and stopped supporting the very character that made it famous in the first place.
Just out of curiosity, which character was that?

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
This is a series I think would benefit from being darker, more realistic etc. The wackiness in the first two wasn't fun or funny.

Capcha: Off the record? that's surprisingly relevant.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Zhukov said:
omegaweopon said:
But then again, this is the same studio that made Resident Evil, stupid, and stopped supporting the very character that made it famous in the first place.
It's the Tyrant, isn't it?

omegaweopon

Aug 25, 2009
ShinyCharizard said:
This is a series I think would benefit from being darker, more realistic etc. The wackiness in the first two wasn't fun or funny.

Capcha: Off the record? that's surprisingly relevant.
No! NO! You. Don't do that. That's exactly the focus testing stuff that makes games like this turn the way of generic. The original two games are dark comedies. The silliness of the game, was supposed to reflect the silliness of the situation itself. It walks the line of serious storyline, and unserious backdrop that too many games are afraid to do nowadays. There are absolutely TONS of zombie games out there, that reflect seriousness. The one bastion of originality in a dark grey wasteland (To be fair, this is the tone that zombies in general convey) needs not be tainted in order to appeal to a broader audience. If this approach was taken in other mediums we'd have never had Picasso.

Zhukov said:
omegaweopon said:
If serious:

If you were being sarcastic:

It's the internet. Can't tell.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
omegaweopon said:
Zhukov said:
omegaweopon said:
If serious:
[Megaman]
Ohhh... I thought you meant stopped supporting the character which made Resident Evil famous. I was stumped because that series recycles characters like mad.

Your sentence could be read either way.

omegaweopon

Aug 25, 2009
Zhukov said:
omegaweopon said:
Zhukov said:
omegaweopon said:
If serious:
[Megaman]
Ohhh... I thought you meant stopped supporting the character which made Resident Evil famous. I was stumped because that series recycles characters like mad.

Your sentence could be read either way.
Thanks for pointing that out to me. I will edit the original post to make more sense, and take note of how I write things like that in the future.

Anathrax

Jan 14, 2013
I'm certain at some point we'll get an "exclusive" DLC airstrike featuring Megaman at the "low price of 9.99$".

As for the rest of the game... I have a feeling some high up people in the gaming industry are infected with a disease that only allows them to view shades of brown.[footnote] I have no idea what colourblinded people actually see. Shut it[/footnote]

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
The problem is the publisher said they want it to appeal to call of duty players. Thats the whole problem, everyone wants their game to be serious and gritty to attract the massive fan base of the biggest selling game every year. At the same time they are alienating those customers that bought the games in the past and just like DMC and Xcom (possibly dark souls 2 as well we will see) theyre going to pay for it. You can not alienate previous fans and expect the game to sell MORE copies. It just doesnt work that way

What does work is realizing who your audience is and making the game for them while budgeted and marketed appropriately. If you do this you can be happy making a profit with just 2 million sales. If you dont do this you spend hundreds of millions of dollars and expect 5-10 million sales but end up taking a huge loss.

Im just a silent partner in a small business and I understand these basic principles of business so I question how these executives get their 6 figure incomes if they dont understand the basics of business

Captcha: Face the music

Thats quite apropos, thank you captcha

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I don't remember the article but they were clear this shit is going for that CoD glory, now I was never a fan of Dead Rising but is someone pissed over my favorites like this I would me mighty furious.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Same thing that happened to Overstrike becoming Fuse apparently. They got a market test of the wrong people who either genuinely want brown, and gray seriousness, or only say that because it sounds good, and likely next to nothing else.

I can't say I was a huge fan of the Dead Rising series (Uncanny valley, boring protagonist, time limits, etc.), but it is a shame to see it get changed from what it was.

This is what the game industry is coming to. Less innovation, more gray, and brown, and srs bznz. It's all aimed at the all mighty dollar instead of trying to take risks in bringing something new to the table, and aimed against people that make games that people want to make as opposed to games they think people want made.

If I wanna airstrike zombies, I have saints row 3. Plus I can beat up zombies with the penetrator, or a chainsaw, or a tazer, or a giant sword, or my car, or aircraft, or... well you get the idea. Heck, I can have homies, police, and enemy gangs fight zombies. I can sorta spectate. And that's not even the aim of the game.

Honestly, going after CoD Bucks isn't going to happen successfully. People are going to spend those bucks on CoD. Trying to take it down is lunacy. Instead, appeal to other niches, keep costs down to make profit easier, and settle the cravings people have for diffirent games. They're out there!

Amakusa

Jul 12, 2012
Rebel_Raven said:
Same thing that happened to Overstrike becoming Fuse apparently. They got a market test of the wrong people who either genuinely want brown, and gray seriousness, or only say that because it sounds good, and likely next to nothing else.

snip
Pretty much what rebel raven said. I wonder if they reason for the change was because the devs wanted it to be like this or they used focus groups (done badly) and got this response. First overstrike, now this. TT

Joffas16

Jun 6, 2013
The game does seem to be shaping up to be a huge disappointment, calling in airstrikes and gritty visuals couldn't be less like the Dead Rising I love, they might as well have just started up a new series. Hopefully this change of direction for Dead Rising will be unpopular and Capcom get the message.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Call of Duty happened.

And I'm not blaming Activision directly, but other publishers saw the success of samey brown shooters and have tried to make their games samier, browner, and shooterier in an attempt to cash in on the market.

Soopy

Jul 15, 2011
I never really found the deadrising games all that amusing to begin with. This iteration may appeal to me more, so no great worry here.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well, for me Dead Rising 2 was already a disappointment. Not that the original game didn't have a ton of annoyances up the wazoo, but the simple act of killing zombies felt really, really good, and Frank West was likable s.o.b. Something the sequel was totally missing. The satire was gone as well, and that inclusion of a freaking daughter didn't help much either.

Baron_Rouge

Oct 30, 2009
I think it was focus tested to appeal to gamers who say they want Call of Duty. Unfortunately for Capcom, you know what those customers are going to buy? Call of Duty. Now, I know it's unreleased, and could be amazing, but it looks a bit brown and gritty for my tastes at the moment, and the airstrikes thing seems especially wrong. If the combat is fun, as it should be, and instead of hacking off the limbs of zombies with a chainsaw duct-taped to a broom, you're airstriking them into oblivion, aren't we missing out on gameplay for spectacle's sake? I don't know. It's unreleased, as I said. It could be good.

In any case, if anyone's unclear on why games focus tested to be like CoD generally fail (FUSE, anyone?), they should watch the Jimquisition episode on perfect pasta sauce. It's really interesting :)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Baron_Rouge said:
aren't we missing out on gameplay for spectacle's sake?
I think that's this generation, and probably the next one, in a nutshell.