Deadlight Review

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
BiscuitWheels said:
Jesus, everyone. Play the demo and decide for yourself. I hate reading robotic,sheep-like responses to reviews sometimes. "Thank god you made up my mind for me, I was actually interested in this game until you told me what to think!" Then try the damn demo and then decide for yourself.
I loved the demo I played at E3, which was the very beginning of the game. In snapshot, the game is great, but it doesn't hold up over the long haul.

But absolutely, people should decide for themselves. I don't pretend to speak gospel truth. I just share my experiences.
I'm sure he wasn't implying that, but I do agree people need learn to form their own opinions of games. or atleast consult multiple sources.

Does seem atleast 5 of the above posters accept it as bad, luckily not all

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Hmm, I see the Limbo comparison now, but for some reason I found myself comparing the whole concept to Shadow Complex, which was an excellent game. So rather than use my mountain of MS points for this, I'll just wait and play Shadow Complex again.

I am disappointed in how they are throttling the Deals of the Week to keep people from spending MS points on anything but Summer of Arcade. I'd be less disappointed if they actually had some compelling entries coming out weekly, but offering up 1 piece of DLC for a year old game each week is still pretty pathetic.

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
I played the demo and honestly, it wasn't a terrible game, just a game that could be better. I probably wouldn't spend 15 dollars (1200 ms points) on it. It looked good and after seeing a couple early videos of it, was hoping it would be, but like Susan said there are other games that have done it better.

Balkan

Sep 5, 2011
BrionJames said:
I played the demo and honestly, it wasn't a terrible game, just a game that could be better. I probably wouldn't spend 15 dollars (1200 ms points) on it. It looked good and after seeing a couple early videos of it, was hoping it would be, but like Susan said there are other games that have done it better.
Man , the demo doesnt mean shit . There plenty of games that seem shit by the demo (darkness 1 , SPEC OPS : the line) but turn out to be awesome .
Many seem to enjoy , the game , so you could too .
To me it seems unremarcable , just like Limbo for example .Style over substance .

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Deadlight Review

An empty husk of an adventure.

Read Full Article
I expected to hear one of your "You must must must play this game, it's amazing!" that has yet to steer me wrong in the past few years. Think I'll take your "avoid" recommendations on the same grain of slightly salty truth that I take your positively gushing ones.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
Deadlight Review

Read Full Article
Could you recommend any of the other Summer of Arcade games to play instead? I did like the look of this when I first saw it and enjoyed the demo but I think I was expecting the rest of the game to evolve over the course of it like Limbo did.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Stalydan said:
Susan Arendt said:
Deadlight Review

Read Full Article
Could you recommend any of the other Summer of Arcade games to play instead? I did like the look of this when I first saw it and enjoyed the demo but I think I was expecting the rest of the game to evolve over the course of it like Limbo did.
Not a Summer of Arcade title, but have you played Walking Dead? Brillllllliant. Spelunky is also excellent, if you enjoy superheated roguelikes, which I personally don't.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Susan Arendt said:
Deadlight Review

Read Full Article
How long would you reckon the game is Susan?Other reviews I've read all seem to vary wildly when it comes to game length with some clocking it at 2hrs while others say it's 6-8hrs long

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
Stalydan said:
Susan Arendt said:
Deadlight Review

Read Full Article
Not a Summer of Arcade title, but have you played Walking Dead? Brillllllliant. Spelunky is also excellent, if you enjoy superheated roguelikes, which I personally don't.
I haven't actually. I really like the comics but not interested in the show so I was very cautious about getting it. Plus I saw the Jurassic Park game that Telltale did and was a bit sceptical about some of the other downloadable games after that.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
MetalDooley said:
Susan Arendt said:
Deadlight Review

Read Full Article
How long would you reckon the game is Susan?Other reviews I've read all seem to vary wildly when it comes to game length with some clocking it at 2hrs while others say it's 6-8hrs long
Depends on two things: how much you look for the collectibles and how much you fail. Under the right circumstances, you could easily breeze through the game in two hour, but I think three or four is more realistic.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Susan Arendt said:
MetalDooley said:
Susan Arendt said:
Deadlight Review

Read Full Article
Depends on two things: how much you look for the collectibles and how much you fail. Under the right circumstances, you could easily breeze through the game in two hour, but I think three or four is more realistic.
Ok cheers for the info.Reckon I'll wait until this inevitably goes on sale at christmas before picking it up

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
Mygaffer said:
scarab7 said:
Damn bought this before I heard this review.
I am curious, what do you think of the game?
Pretty much the same things the review said. Bad script/voice acting, it's about evenly split between the two with the story. What really bothered me was the controls. They try for intense running sequences that you can easy out run, but then your character hangs on a ledge for too long for some reason despite being next to the floor. Worst of all is the entire game is short and not worth the cash.

JSW

Oct 7, 2009
Judging by the video, this game seems to have more in common with the original Prince of Persia than with Limbo. PoP also drew complaints about its controls, but that was just due to the fact that its character controlled differently from what you'd expect from other platformers than it being genuinely bad, and once you get used to it the controls become second nature. I'm wondering if the same might be true for Deadlight, however as I don't have an XBox I can't check for myself.

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
I, for one, love this game and I can look past its flaws easily.

I don't think it can be compared with Limbo as easily as some of you do.

What I suggest to everyone is to try it out , either demo or at a friend who owns it.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
BiscuitWheels said:
Jesus, everyone. Play the demo and decide for yourself. I hate reading robotic,sheep-like responses to reviews sometimes. "Thank god you made up my mind for me, I was actually interested in this game until you told me what to think!" Then try the damn demo and then decide for yourself.
Yep. A friend of mine is really enjoying it so far, and they like 2d platformers like me, so I think I will enjoy it when I get around to it.

Just another bland zombie game or an empty husk of an adventure is far too dismissive.