Deadpool VFX Reel Shows Just How Much Was Real Vs. Effect

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Deadpool VFX Reel Shows Just How Much Was Real Vs. Effect

[vimeo=159011768]

A VFX reel from Atomic Fiction shows how much of the superhero blockbuster Deadpool was real and just what was enhanced and computerized.

Stunt doubles in action movies are common place, but superhero movies require action and effects that even the best stunt double can't perform. So visual special effects come into play, and this Deadpool VFX reel from Atomic Fiction shows just how much was digitized.

The breakdown, which focuses on the highway action that is interspersed through the whole movie, shows just how much was created after filming was done. It is amazing to see just how much may look real but isn't.

Of course, Deadpool requires a lot of special work. It took five actors to create Colossus [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LncTFEnxRV8] in VFX from
Digital Domain. And considering that director Tim Miller is himself a special effects guru that worked at Blur Studios, it really is not much of a surprise how heavy the digital work is in the film.

Deadpool has already has been Director's Cut is also planned [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/reviews/cinemarter/15444-Deadpool-2016-Movie-Review] that could very well be X-rated.

[gallery=5981]

If you haven't see the film yet, I'd highly recommend it, especially since it got Betty White's endorsement [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166398-Deadpool-Gets-Betty-Whites-Profanity-Filled-Endorsement].

Source: /Film [http://www.atomicfiction.com/]

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
SKBPinkie said:
But, but....CGI is the devil. CGI killed my dog last week.
No, it just made it look like it was dead, where in reality, you were the dog all along.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
weirdee said:
SKBPinkie said:
But, but....CGI is the devil. CGI killed my dog last week.
No, it just made it look like it was dead, where in reality, you were the dog all along.

OT: Seriously though, I hope the folks who love bashing CGI can at least recognize how good it can be.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
Even though it's 2016, and I was only born a year before the Starship Troopers film came out, I am still blown away by good CGI. I'd have thought I'd be used to it having lived my whole life with the stuff, but there you go.

Dalrien

Jun 14, 2014
You mean superhero movies require action and effects that even the best stunt double CAN'T perform, right?

"Can" seems kinda odd In this sentence.

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Dalrien said:
You mean superhero movies require action and effects that even the best stunt double CAN'T perform, right?

"Can" seems kinda odd In this sentence.
You are correct. Fixed. Thanks.

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
Fun seeing what really works and what doesn't. The particles and non-organic things like cars work really well, but the character models still have a ways to go. It's the lighting, or the polycount, or something- it's not quite there.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
damn, i expected most of the city background to be real. also when deadpool kicks the guy out of the car, i thought was real as well.
certainly interesting to see all of this. well done too. few parts its clearly CG but the rest looked too good.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Best thing about this movie was even though a lot of it was cgi it didn't look it. The tech has come a long way.

Kinda makes me wonder why Collossus looked so out of place at times. He was very detailed but very obviously 100% cgi with completely in-human proportions.

Chaosian said:
Fun seeing what really works and what doesn't. The particles and non-organic things like cars work really well, but the character models still have a ways to go. It's the lighting, or the polycount, or something- it's not quite there.
Its a mixture of animation not being perfect and like you said lighting and material shaders not being perfect. For cgi motion to be convincingly real it needs to be imperfect. The biggest issue with 3d animation is how flawlessly smooth it moves when reality is full of random inconsistency and flaws as things move around. And simulations still can't quite nail that chaotic nature of reality. Even when animators do it manually frame by frame the best ones still make mistakes and misjudgements.

Shaders and lighting are nightmarishly hard to do perfectly and even completely still photo like images can have flaws, so it becomes vastly harder in motion. Just like the chaotic nature of real motion real materials are effected by light and shadow in extremely specific ways. Cloth, leather, skin etc are still not being done as well as metal and dirt for example.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I had to keep pausing to look at the geometry of the wireframes. I was surprised by the number of poles I found on Deadpool; But I guess it is OK as they are on parts that are not likely to deform.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
I laughed at that part in the movie, as it seemed fairly unintentional. They just had to jab at Green Lantern, making it kind of hypocritical.

"Just don't make the suit green...or animated!"
/makes many parts of the suit animated

Buckets

May 1, 2014
When it is done right, CGI can really make a scene look incredible. Sometimes it just looks shit though (bit like the orc baby and the wolf in the Warcraft movie)

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Wow, this is pretty amazing.

I would love to see one of these for Cap America: Civil War, for the life of me I can't tell when the Iron Man suit is CGI or not.

Oh, and I would like to know why their rendering of Spidey wasn't the greatest.