Deadpool Will Get His Own Movie, Starring Ryan Reynolds

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Deadpool Will Get His Own Movie, Starring Ryan Reynolds

Ryan Reynolds will reprise his role as "the merc with the mouth" in his very own feature Deadpool film.

Deadline is reporting [http://deadline.com/2014/12/ryan-reynolds-deadpool-fox-x-men-1201309406/] that Fox is in the final stages of closing a deal with Ryan Reynolds for a feature on Deadpool, a role he is reprising from his appearance in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. According to the report, the film is being directed by Tim Miller, who has done strong visual effects work through his VFX house Blur Films. Miller has been developing the film for several years, from a script by Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick, with Lauren Shuler Donner and Simon Kinberg producing.

To add more credibility to the report, Reynolds himself has just Tweeted [https://twitter.com/VancityReynolds/status/540594148097916928] a Deadpool-related picture, along with the caption "Uh... It's Chimichanga Time." Production of the movie is said to start in March, with a February 12, 2016, release date.

If you chose not to remember Reynold's role in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, we'll forgive you, as the studio made the, erm, "curious" decision to silence Deadpool after subjecting his alter-ego Wade Wilson to the military experiments that give him his mutant powers. That's right, they silenced the guy who's nickname is "the merc with the mouth".

Nevertheless, Reynold's quick wit and banter are what make him a good choice for the role (and admittedly, his role pre-military experiment in the Wolverine flick wasn't bad). We assume Fox will just go ahead and ret-con that decision anyway.

While it's not quite 100% confirmed, the report, along with Reynold's tweet, and that leaked Deadpool test footage [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136534-The-Real-Story-Behind-That-Leaked-Deadpool-Footage-Update-2] we saw earlier in the year, make it incredibly likely that this is the real deal.

Source: Deadline [http://deadline.com/2014/12/ryan-reynolds-deadpool-fox-x-men-1201309406/]

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Apparently the leaked script is promising, but I won't be holding my breath. Deadpool works best in comics that are read within 10 minutes

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Reynolds destroyed Deadpool once, he then destroyed Green Lantern. (Don't bother saying he had nothing to do with production, he could have refused the roles after reading the scripts). So now he has a second chance at Deadpool. See the new guy, same as the old guy.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I'm totally on board with this.
The decision to silence Deadpool was completely moronic, but I loved him in the Cable-Deadpool run! :)

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
You know what, I'd watch that!

For the five minutes or so he's actually in the movie and speaking Wade Wilson was great in Wolverine. I want to see him have an actual fight with Logan this time so he can draw his gun and utter the immortal line "so do you still have that indestructible skull?" before shooting himself in the face... again.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Considering Reynolds is listed as one of the main reasons the Deadpool movie is still happening, I'm not surprised.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
norwegian goose said:
And I'm not gonna watch it.
Is there a single thing worth watching in your mind? Every thread I've seen you post in has always been "don't watch it", even when no one asked.

OT: looks interesting, but I'll remain skeptical about DoFP being a fluke and not the new norm for Fox.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
He did an alright job in the opening of Origins[i/i], with some good writing he could probably pull it off. Again though, it will depend on the writing, from what I've seen of Deadpool's stories they're completely 'for teh lolz' violence heavy stories, kinda like 80's action flicks.

It depends if Fox is willing to get silly or if they ***** out and give him some generic dark story, having Deadpool simply reacting to every thing with snark. Come on Fox, get dumb for this.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I don't have a problem with Ryan Reynolds playing Deadpool, but I have a feeling this may become an issue of Fox not letting the actor do the character proper justice. What I'm saying is, although they'll probably retcon the X-Men Origins thing, they'll find some other way to screw it up. I'll keep an eye on it, maybe, at least it will be good for a few family friendly laughs and if I keep my expectations low, perhaps I can come out of this pleasantly surprised.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
008Zulu said:
Reynolds destroyed Deadpool once, he then destroyed Green Lantern. (Don't bother saying he had nothing to do with production, he could have refused the roles after reading the scripts).
Um... That doesn't mean he's the one who wrote the script. What destroyed Deadpool was the guy who actually wrote the scripts.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I'd love to watch it. I really enjoy Reynolds' stupid sense of humour anyway.

Say what you want about Blade: Trinity, he made that film enjoyable for me.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Johnisback said:
Oh thank god. I was worried they'd try casting someone else.
There is no actor on this planet that is better suited for the role of Deadpool than Ryan Reynolds.
Not even Thom Tom Cruise?

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
008Zulu said:
Reynolds destroyed Deadpool once, he then destroyed Green Lantern. (Don't bother saying he had nothing to do with production, he could have refused the roles after reading the scripts). So now he has a second chance at Deadpool. See the new guy, same as the old guy.
Reynolds was great as Deadpool (pre-ending) in Origins... He did fine with the material given to him. If you want someone to blame, blame the scriptwriters or directors, because he gave them the performance they wanted.

He's been very vocal about how much he was let down by it as well. Hell, you know that Deadpool teaser that leaked awhile back? That's Reynolds doing it. He knows and understands the character and a huge reason this movie even exists is because he pushed so hard to get it made.

Also, I read the leaked script once. It's GLORIOUS and thoroughly dismantles the Origins appearance in one quick, amazing stroke.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm not mad at this. I really like Ryan Reynolds. He isn't the best actor, but wise cracking wise ass is his natural niche. Though, he has shown himself to be a good actor in some other less known roles. And if they can put the same writers who did the last two XMen movies on this, I think it'll turn out right. Hell, the first Wolverine movie didn't really start turning bad till they decided to kill off all the other characters.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Trishbot said:
008Zulu said:
Reynolds was great as Deadpool (pre-ending) in Origins... He did fine with the material given to him. If you want someone to blame, blame the scriptwriters or directors, because he gave them the performance they wanted.

He's been very vocal about how much he was let down by it as well. Hell, you know that Deadpool teaser that leaked awhile back? That's Reynolds doing it. He knows and understands the character and a huge reason this movie even exists is because he pushed so hard to get it made.

Also, I read the leaked script once. It's GLORIOUS and thoroughly dismantles the Origins appearance in one quick, amazing stroke.
Where can I find this script. I want to read it and I can't wait for another year and half.