Deaf 3 year old's name in sign language not 'appropriate' for school.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/nebraska-school-3-year-old-deaf-boy-sign-language-gesture-guns-change-video-article-1.1146024

A Nebraska school district wants a 3-year-old deaf boy to change the way he signs his name because they say the gesture makes his hands look like weapons, the boy's family claims.
The district, in Grand Island, about three hours west of Omaha, has a policy that forbids kids bringing to school "any instrument ... that looks like a weapon," local station KOLN reported.
According to the report, Hunter Spanjer signs his name by crossing his index finger and middle finger and then wagging his hands, which the school says is not appropriate.
"Anybody that I have talked to thinks this is absolutely ridiculous. This is not threatening in any way," his grandmother, Janet Logue, told KOLN.

Brian Spanjer demonstrates how his son Hunter signs his name.

"It's a symbol," his father, Brian Spanjer, added. "It's an actual sign, a registered sign, through S.E.E.," or Signing Exact English, a sign language system.
A school spokesman called the issue a "misunderstanding" and said it had nothing to do with guns or weapons.
The name gesture was "not an appropriate thing to do in school," and administrators were asking Hunter to spell his name out, letter-by-letter, instead of using the sign, spokesman Jack Sheard told the Daily News.
"We want to do what is best for every student in our district, and we care more about that than everything else," Sheard said. "We are working with the parents to find the best solution we can."
Locals think the school should leave the tyke alone.
"It's his name. It's not like he's going to bring a gun to school when he's 3-years old," Grand Islander Dana Schwieger fumed.

Man this political correctness is getting out of control these days. What's your opinion on this Escapist?

Edit: oops put dead 3 year old haha

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Is this a joke?
Please tell me this story isn't serious.

Edit: Oh it's serious.

Crimson Lucario

Aug 14, 2012
I assume somewhere in the continent of America?
Seriously, every time I tell someone something ridiculous like this their first response is:
America?

Apparently a recognised way of spelling your name is inappropriate so the kid has to change his way of spelling words because of political correctness, I wonder even he can even spell that?

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft.

I remember when people could do the finger guns whenever they damn well pleased. Are we really so paranoid after school shootings we can't even have representations of guns?

That's so damn low we should just all get eaten by dogs for being the inferior species.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
You all don't understand just how serious this issue is, in our area we let a deaf 3 year old sign his name in a way which kind of looked like a gun gesture in school, but that was just a gateway gesture, soon he was pointing directly at people in an accusatory way, then giving middle fingers, the kids all copied him, and just a week later they were all dead.
It was horrible.

Careless handgestures cost lives.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Fucking Really? Is this how far it's come to now?
If you think that's inappropriate for school then wait until you see my use of sign language:

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
When I saw this, I thought it'd be something along the lines of 'he's flipping people off', but this? Damn, people are so uppity and stupid.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I am more impressed that a 3-year-old already knows how to do this in the first place. Most kids his age who can hear can't even pronounce their names correctly.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
And here I was thinking he was motioning sexual intercourse, hip-thrusting, giving BJs and to top it all of, all whilst flipping people the bird.
Granted, I would have been very interested in whatever his name was, but that's what I hoped for.
Instead I get wiggling fingers.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I think he should actually start being inappropriate. They need to deal with it.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
This kind of thing is exactly why I've spent so many times fighting against the left wing. While both major positions in the US are borked, the left wing has an undeserved reputation for being some kind of champion of rights and freedoms, when in reality it's basically in pursuit of a kind of insane facism that denies any kind of common sense. At least with the right wing, even with the bible thumpers, you can see some underlying logic, especially when you consider the origins of the country. Things like this though are just insane, and honestly I kind of saw it coming a long ways off, but nobody really wanted to listen.

The basic story behind this comes down to the simple fact that the left wing holds a very solid "we believe in free speech, as long as it's the free speech to say what we agree with", in the name of "freedom" it's also been trying to shut down avenues of resistance against the authorities and the abillity to speak against social trends they support (hate speech, which can apply to so many things it's insane), and of course dedicated efforts to try and prevent the same kinds of civil disobedience and efforts that acted as a springboard for the left in the 1960s and 70s from being used against them.

When it comes to specifics, what happened was this little thing called the "Columbine Massacre" which while not the only school shooting in history, happens to be the most famous. Like most tradgedies, rather than the actual causes being examined, and the system properly reformed, it became a springboard for politics. The basic agenda the left wing pushed through was to pretty much try and ban all violence and violent expression from school, and demonize the bearing of arms (guns or otherwise) which has been a long standing position from the left. Passing these school policies lets them get the kids while they are young.

Over the years we've watched these policies go from people talking about violence in school, to talking about violence at all, to drawing pictures of weapons, to even wearing T-shirts and such which might have violent material on them. A movie T-shirt for "Clash Of The Titans"? Go home immediatly, the guy is holding a sword!. Over the years I've read a lot of things about this, and truthfully the violence ban has probably done more to keep people from reading comics (violent) on their lunch breaks than the arguement that comics were bad for kids to read ever did. I even remember a case a couple years back where a high schooler was expelled for reading Harry Potter (with one of those concealable book covers), due to violent content, and having the audacity to oppose this stupidity (I don't remember if it was overturned or not).

At any rate, trying to ban deaf kids from making "violent" signs under any circumstances is pretty much par for the course, and really it's because we've let things get this far politically. The kid's name is "Hunter" which implies you know hunting things (which traditionally means killing them) so it's not surprising the name involves an aggressive seeming hand sign... the next step is probably going to be to effectively ban kids from being named things like that, or forcing them to adopt a "school name" if their name is too inherantly aggressive. Give it another couple of years without some opposition to this, and we'll probably have politicians with books of baby names turning "what does your name mean?" from a fun fact to a way of making your life miserable. "Your name is Cassandra? That means Prophet Of Doom, change it or you can't go to school, if you won't go to school your parents go to jail...."

My extreme sentiments on certain subjects aside, I tend to stay in the political middle, swinging a bit towards the right, for a reason, it stays away from this kind of insanity. The Right wing taken to it's extreme is just as bad, but right now it's been the rise of the left that we're dealing with. This kind of crap is pretty much the left wing anti-gun equivilent of an insane right winger trying to pass religious policies, it's just people are blind to the left wing right now and the needs for balance.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Wow. Just wow.

Some people can be stupid, but other people can be REALLY stupid.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
"We want to do what is best for every student in our district, and we care more about that than everything else," Sheard said. "We are working with the parents to find the best solution we can."
I think the best solution they could find would be to go fuck themselves. Seriously, how utterly stupid can some people be? And these people are in a position of considerable power over children and their development.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Hero in a half shell said:
You all don't understand just how serious this issue is, in our area we let a deaf 3 year old sign his name in a way which kind of looked like a gun gesture in school, but that was just a gateway gesture, soon he was pointing directly at people in an accusatory way, then giving middle fingers, the kids all copied him, and just a week later they were all dead.
It was horrible.

I agree. I once used a hockey stick as a machine gun and before I knew it all my classmates were shot to pieces and I was being arrested.

OT: People being stupid bastards, move along.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
I'd like to hear more about the schools actual position.

I could think of perfectly reasonable justifications why they'd want him to spell it out. For one, that gesture looks a bit complex for the average 3 year old's motor skills.

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
ToastiestZombie said:
Hero in a half shell said:
It was horrible.

I agree. I once used a hockey stick as a machine gun and before I knew it all my classmates were shot to pieces and I was being arrested.

OT: People being stupid bastards, move along.
Played Battleship in school once, before I knew it the school was in flames.