Dealing with Spies (TF2)

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
Burn everyone whos not actively attacking.
Burn everyone who exits from behind the enemy lines.
Burn everyone closing in on a sentry or dispenser.
Burn everyone who runs towards Heavy or Medic.
Burn Heavies who run too fast.
Burn Scouts who run too slow.
Burn Snipers who are not scoping.
Burn Medics who are not healing.
Burn Soldiers who are not reloading.
Burn Demos who are not spamming.
Burn Pyros who are not spy checking.
Burn Engies because they like it.
Burn friendly Spies.
Burn stares.
Burn dodgers.
Burn deserters.
Burn loners.

Theres really no need to check for every corner or to peak behind constantly. Just keep moving and try to not make yourself such an easy target for backstabers and snipers.

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
Popido said:
Burn everyone whos not actively attacking.
Burn everyone who exits from behind the enemy lines.
Burn everyone closing in on a sentry or dispenser.
Burn everyone who runs towards Heavy or Medic.
Burn Heavies who run too fast.
Burn Scouts who run too slow.
Burn Snipers who are not scoping.
Burn Medics who are not healing.
Burn Soldiers who are not reloading.
Burn Demos who are not spamming.
Burn Pyros who are not spy checking.
Burn Engies because they like it.
Burn friendly Spies.
Burn stares.
Burn dodgers.
Burn deserters.
Burn loners.

Theres really no need to check for every corner or to peak behind constantly. Just keep moving and try to not make yourself such an easy target for backstabers and snipers.
My favorite thing is to run around an Engie's dispenser W+M1'ing. Never run out of ammo, spies never get close enough to do anything.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
galdon2004 said:
-snipped-
Its simple, just keep moving, the spy can only truly get a kill from being good at stealthing, your complaining that its in their job description. The spy is easy to dodge if you at least either run into every guy or shoot them, or just keep moving. The biggest mistake is to not be with team members, the closer you are to a friend, the better, also just don't stop moving.

ntw3001

Sep 7, 2009
If he's close enough to run up and stab you, you can probably hear him uncloak. If he uncloaks further away, there will be a window of opportunity to see him if you keep a good lookout. That's not really feasible while in combat, but that's just a spy picking the right time. sometimes they get you, that's okay. If they do it consistently, you're probably heading to the same spot and doing the same thing every life, and you know they're there. Either check the corners (Spy tip: Your hiding place can be anywhere that an opponent isn't about to move or shoot through, slinking into the shadows makes you easy to find), or attack from a different direction. C&D spies have trouble relocating quickly. They can't travel far when cloaked, and the reason they use the C&D is because they don't want to run around uncloaked. Watch a C&D spy in the deathcam; very few of them get much more done than crouch-walking around uncontested points and sapping tele entrances. If they want to do anything more than that, the other watches are better.

As for finding an invisible spy, don't sweat it too much. Check the corners around you, if they're not there, leave it. Fending them off temporarily is fine; a successful kill would achieve the same anyway.

Oh yeah, and if a spy isn't invisible, you'll get used to spotting him. Disguises might work on newer players, but with experience they stand out. There are a few obvious tells, but generally you'll find that you can pick them out just from seeing them walk around. It's something that comes with experience of all classes, knowing how one ought to be moving in a given situation. And it's not beneficial for the spy to act too much. If he tries too hard to look like a sniper, he won't be getting into a backstab position (by the way, I find the pyro is the disguise which tends to act most similarly to an enemy spy; that is, a pyro running up to a group of fighting teammates from behind, but not firing, could just be a real pyro joining the fight. Still, it's a bad idea to try and trick people for anything more than a passing glance cross the map).

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
AlternatePFG said:
Jinx_Dragon said:
WouldYouKindly said:
Pyros are the anti-spy. It renders their cloak and disguise useless and can clean off their sappers easily. If you're really frustrated with spies, this is the way to go. It's also the easiest, just give everyone you meet a little fire and you'll find spies all the time.
And be prepared to receive high praise and love from engineers, twice so if you have the Homewrecker. I can not tell you how much I love any pyro on my team. Even the M1+W type that really have yet to grasp their skill set are still such a boon to an engineer.
Thrice if you can airblast any incoming rockets and grenades flying towards their buildings.
I... I think I want to marry you....

Oct 30, 2010
It isn't reliable at all, but occasionally the sprawl saying "so-and-so just died" will pop up and then I'll see so-and-so running around in the group half a second later.

BNSNightshade

Jun 4, 2011
galdon2004 said:
I tried looking it up; and typically locate answers that don't answer, or find threads in which some guy with half a brain has the same problem as me, and starts a thread ranting and raving like a crazed lunatic that makes anyone who actually agrees with him look so bad nobody probably WANTS to agree with him.

Anyways, spies. They give me a hard time, and I don't see much way to stop them short of pyro spam. The reason is not however their disguise ability that can be seen through by checking their life to see if it is exactly half full or shooting every team member to spy check.

The problem I have is with spies using the motion-sensitive invisibility.

The motion sensitive invisibility allows you to stay invisible constantly, and recharges while you are not running. In this case, there seems not to be anything TO check, and it's a waste of ammo to turn around and shoot a rocket behind me every 10 seconds.

Often, I've had times where I'm running forward, turn around to look behind me; nothing no enemy or ally, turn back forward, then pause an instant to aim at something or glance in a room before bursting in, and get backstabbed the instant I slowed down despite there being nothing behind me when i looked a second ago.

Is there any weakness that spies using this kind of cloak has that I can use effectively?

As for if I think spies are overpowered; I suppose I do in at least the sense that it is the only class out of 9 that you have to specifically worry about at all times regardless of what you are doing.
If you find a particular spy is targeting you specifically, go as either scout or another spy. It is very rare that any spy will get the knife in the back of something moving faster than them, or indeed, invisible to them. Otherwise, you may just have to remind your fellow pyros to spycheck vigorously, or just take the knife in your back like a man!

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
I usually play pyro, so I tend to burn anything that moves. Spies aren't much of a problem for me.

KhakiHat

Dec 28, 2008
galdon2004 said:
I tried looking it up; and typically locate answers that don't answer, or find threads in which some guy with half a brain has the same problem as me, and starts a thread ranting and raving like a crazed lunatic that makes anyone who actually agrees with him look so bad nobody probably WANTS to agree with him.
{snipity snip snip}
If spys are really that annoying for you, one of us can come and help coach you. Otherwise, play the game and get used to them.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Firstly, don't cheat with a texture pack or sound mods.
Secondly, just get used to them. Check behind you more often; they can't stab while cloaked. A bad Spy is easy to find, and a good Spy is impossible to find. Good Spies are the most rare players in the game, so really Spies are the least of your worries.

Meestor Pickle

Jul 29, 2010
Why wouldn't you play spy, it is easily my favourite class; so devious and cunning.
There is nothing quite like that feeling when you move backwards but then...you stop, "There shouldn't be anything blocking my path" followed by "Wait! Its a sp-*stab*"

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
well, very VERY few Spies actually use Cloak and Dagger (motion sensitive invisiwatch), so if someone IS using it, chances are they're camping. If you get killed by one, I would suggest:
A. pay attention to where they hide. then pepper that area with fire to see if anything combusts.
B. if this doesn't work, just avoid that general area. C&D Spies can't travel very far, os they'll mainly stick to one area.
C. check the server rules. if spawn/regular camping is against the rules, kindly ask the Spy to stop.
D. if this doesn't work, report said person to an admin.
E. if there's no admin, then you're kinda SOL

in any case, definately alert your Teammates to the Spy's presence. chances are, one of them will scare him off.
but I'm suprised that you're finding C&D Spies a problem... normally, it's the Dead Ringer Spies that getcha

I also HIGHLY recommend this tutorial (watch all three parts). It's a tad dated and doesn't touch on anything more than the stock Spy weapons, but it's what taught me most of my tricks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d87QCn_cafI

Nov 24, 2010
OP: It's not cloak and dagger spies you should be worried about. It's dead ringer spies like me. Here's a screenshot I took of a 30 minute game the other day using the dead ringer:

Be very afraid.

DoctorPhil

Apr 25, 2011
Try playing spy yourself, and you'll see how goddamn situational and most of the time useless they are.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
-Good spies tend to hide in "blindspots", or notches in the map that are seldom traveled. If you have a good hiding spot that's JUST out of normal sight, you wont even need to decloak before stabbing someone. They will get the kill, and set themselves up for an easy escape most of the time.

-Spies, when running away, tend to either flee directly towards their team's territory (especially on Payload and Control Point maps), to the nearest health/ammo kits, or to hide in aforementioned corners that other classes have no reason to go to.

-Spies will usually go after anyone who is in the back of the line (and therefore not witnessed when murdered) or anyone who is not within the range and sight of a sentry gun (because that would usually mean a heavy risk or certain death).

-Mission-minded spies will bypass easy kills on certain enemies in favor of remaining unexposed to tackle tougher objectives, such as wiping out an Engie and his nest, taking out the enemy's Medics, or instakilling that damn Heavy/Soldier/Demo who your team just can't surpress with firepower alone.

-If a spy wants a sniper dead, it is only a matter of time before he gets what he wants. Even with a Razorback equipped, a Spy can kill you in 3, or even as few as 2 revolver shots. Unless you are ALSO within range of a Sentry, he WILL be able to take you down with no problem.

-Spies will wait to attack groups. The heavier firepower the group is facing, the more distracted they are. Medics and Heavies are juicy targets.

-Dead Ringer spies often don't care about subtlety - they aren't acting alarmed when caught or making a desperate fight or escape, you can count on them reappearing 8 seconds later in the nearest corner behind your back - unless they are trying to pass your team's chokepoint, in which they will continue to run straight forward.

-Pyro is the most often used disguise, followed by Engineer, Sniper, Spy, Demoman, and Medic. Heavy, Soldier, and Scout are used less frequently due to their slow and vurnerable (or in the case of Scout, obvious) disguise.

-If a Spy is using the Cloak and Dagger, you can pretty much ignore him - he is probably far too picky and nervous to move, and is therefore a worthless hinderance for his team. Avoiding getting stabbed by the elucive C&D Spy requires one or two turn-arounds: he will identify you as careful, and therefore too risky to approach.

-Spies using the Your Eternal Reward can be very dangerous, especially as Saharan Spies (who DO NOT MAKE ANY SOUNDS when decloaking, even with the Dead Ringer). One of the best ways to identify a spy is if your teammate behind you suddenly screams in dying agony when there are no apparent threats - the YER knife completely nullifies this, and a whole team can be wiped out without anyone realizing what happened.

-The Enforcer revolver can kill in two hits. Yeah, two hits. If a Spy can aim, you are already dead.

-Also, 2 suspicious behaviors of disguised Spies: If your teammates are neither firing or reloading, and if they are deliberately avoiding contact.

-Above all: Just watch your damn back. Most spies are not aggressive, and will be driven off by a second glance into nothingness.

Legendsmith

Mar 9, 2010
MeatMachine said:
-The Enforcer revolver can kill in two hits. Yeah, two hits. If a Spy can aim, you are already dead.
The Enforcer also has no downside when using the Dead Ringer, so chances are if he's using one, he's using the other.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
MeatMachine said:
-Spies using the Your Eternal Reward can be very dangerous, especially as Saharan Spies (who DO NOT MAKE ANY SOUNDS when decloaking, even with the Dead Ringer). One of the best ways to identify a spy is if your teammate behind you suddenly screams in dying agony when there are no apparent threats - the YER knife completely nullifies this, and a whole team can be wiped out without anyone realizing what happened.
Even as a Spy player, I've always thought this was a bit overpowered, not to mention a batshit-insane hat bonus.

Did they seriously follow through on the sniper's headshot-immunity effect as well?