Dealing with study issues

Camaranth

Feb 4, 2011
Study groups seemed to help me the most but if it's solo work that you're struggling with there are a couple of things you can try.
Download some instrumental music, game soundtracks actually work well for this because they aren't really supposed to be noticed, it's all about atmosphere, the portal soundtracks are free if you can't think of any.

Set out your notes and reference books in easy to reach places
choose a comfortable hoodie to wear.
Sit down, wear headphones with instrumental music playing, put up hood and start studying.

2. Works best for memorisation

Grab a tennis ball (or other round object) and toss it against the wall whilst reciting x
Recite x while cooking/cleaning/pacing/walking the dog etc

General rules. Drink water and take lots of breaks. and DO NOT stay up all night. A decent rest before an exam is the best thing you can do for yourself. I've also found that studying in ways that are actually engaging is a huge help like doing all the problems and past exams.

For next semester you should try to set up an area where all you do is study. You aren't allowed to do anything else while in this space. By the next exam period you should have trained your mind to focus on studying when in that space.

Also (as weird as this sounds) try to enjoy it. seriously, have fun. And Good Luck!

Spiridion

Oct 17, 2011
One thing that helps for me is to go to someplace other than home. Preferably someplace where I never or rarely engage in leisure activities so that I can associate it solely with studying. If you can get to your university's library, that's a great place since it just vibes "buckle down and learn your shit." Coffee shops can also work, or sometimes parks depending on the weather.

As a more random piece of advice: I know a guy that listens to Gregorian chants when he's studying and claims it helps him focus. Make of that what you will.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
I play video games or draw, sometimes my professors have specifically told me to do as much because I do so well in my classes, I don't even need to do the finals and they just give me the A/A+. Going onto my third year in January and I'm hoping to continue this because I honestly can't remember how to cram anymore.

xshadowscreamx

Dec 21, 2011
This could be a sign, maybe you are ment to be an animator.... Or a maid.

Edit: I would also like to add that i prefer exams, because when it comes to assignments I leave it and leave it. With exams you have to do it, no choice.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Porygon-2000 said:
HalloHerrNoob said:
Please flag for review!
What does that mean? Is it my post? Is it inappropriate?
Pretty sure he meant his own post for some reason... he was suspended for an identical post, but I can't really tell if that was a bot post or whatever it was.

However getting suspended from the Escapist forums might help you get things done.

OK, my advice here is to really focus on how long it is until you have your exams. That will help you determine how hard you have to work to manage it and it will stress you enough to shift your ass.

If you go to your university and study there, leave your 3DS at home or at least the charger so you'll be limited in how much you can use it and not bring any form of entertainment with you and just your books then you might feel more inclined to study. This works for me.

Also if you know people with the same subjects try to organize study groups to discuss things. Work your way through the material and you'll gain a better understanding because you have to process the information before you can explain it properly.

kyuzo3567

Jan 31, 2011
To be perfectly honest I have a shit ton of Uni stuff to do this month, especially over the next 1 1/2 days and I just can't make my brain start working very well.

Its the damn papers I need to do, studying for exams is easyish for me to do the day before, and even writing my papers is relatively easy, I always procrastinate horribly for finding research and sources to actually write my paper with....

Any tips to get over procrastinating for finding references and such? Thats frankly all the big help I need for this month

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Panicking usually helped me. I used to do everything I could to avoid my uni work, to avoid the many books I had to read, the many essays I had to write, the huge amount of secondary research I had to do. However when I panicked about it I found myself working towards it. Also having to pull an all nighter because of neglecting the work until the last minute helps. That was a huge motivator. My all nighter made me so tired I nearly got the wrong train home and nearly ended up 4 hours away. It taught me never to be so neglectful again and that work is best done as soon as you get it. Otherwise life becomes hell. Instrumental music also helps, it kept me focused and kept me entertained while I did the work.

Also think about what would happen if you were to fail. That's also a good motivator.