Dean Hall Will Leave DayZ Dev Bohemia By Year's End

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Dean Hall Will Leave DayZ Dev Bohemia By Year's End

"I am a grenade," says Hall, and grenades aren't useful things to keep, long-term.

"I have a specific use. I'm really good at risk-taking and making other people take risks," says Bohemia's Dean Hall [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131034-DayZ-Sells-800-000-in-First-Month], the man who gave us DayZ. "I can talk people up to the ledge and get them to jump off it. That's what I did with DayZ ... But eventually, that's the bad person to have." So by the end of this year, Hall will leave Bohemia, shake the DayZ leadership role, and move on to new challenges.

Besides, Hall argues, he never intended to stay this long. His Bohemia stint was supposed to be a brief break in his army career, not some kind of alternate lifestyle. He doesn't see himself as the sort of leader DayZ needs, long-term. That doesn't mean he's going to leave it half-done, but it does mean he's looking at the exit and wondering how much longer Bohemia will need him.

The way he tells it, he was supposed to go much earlier than this, but decided it would be unfair to the DayZ community to bail. He admits that, even if Bohemia kept him on in a lesser role, he wouldn't be able to keep his hands off the zombies, so it's better if he goes. But in a sense it doesn't matter whether he goes or not; he'll still keep some ties to DayZ. There's no way he could completely sever all links to the community, or the game.

So what happens next? Well it's back to New Zealand for Hall, and more game development, this time as the boss of his own studio. He wants to chase the perfect survival multiplayer experience. DayZ's great, but he knows it's flawed; he wants perfection. That won't happen right away, as he still has commitments to Bohemia. But it will happen, and sooner rather than later. It's time he was his own boss.

"And, you know, I miss home."

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-24-dean-hall-to-leave-bohemia-and-step-down-as-leader-of-dayz]

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Karloff said:
he'll still keep some ties to DayZ. There's no way he could completely sever all links to the community, or the game.
The image I have in my head right now is "KER CHING!, is this the exit?". I want to know if Bohemia are pushing him or he really does want to move on. You reckon the 'creator' would stay til at least the beta -.- .

Mar 19, 2010
So he got all that juicy early access money and now when he can see that DayZ is going nowhere he buggered off. Good for him also.
Inb4 death threats and a massive outpouring of hate.(probably he have already got some by now but just in case)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Inb4 ridiculous cynicis- DAMMIT.

I fully get where the guy is coming from. It's hard sticking with projects that spiral way out of your control. I wish him the best of luck with his other projects.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
This is the third time I've seen this story this morning, and 90% of the comments are people assuming this spells the end for DayZ. Cause you know. Dean was working on the game ALL BY HIMSELF. Never mind the other developers. They don't matter. Never mind this won't happen for an entire year. What matters is the self made conspiracies that Dean is running off with the cash and letting the project to die.

Mik Sunrider

Dec 21, 2013
Not surprise really, I mean he did go climbing up a mountain during the development of DayZ standalone. Good Luck Dean and thanks for giving them the push to try DayZ in the first place.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well he does still have nearly a year to finish things up but it doesn't sound overly promising for the future of this project considering right now DayZ is near the bottom end of DayZ games.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Just from quickly judging Hall by comments during interviews early on I formed the strong opinion that he was way in over his head. I just hope for the sake of those who have already purchased this that there's enough there to finish the project well.

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
I've never been confident in Hall's ability to actually finish DayZ, so as far as I'm concerned this a good thing for the rest of the team that will be working on the Standalone beta. Maybe they'll finally find some focus after he leaves.

Rocket has always come off as overconfident and indecisive to me. The way he left the mod in such a shambles was pretty indicative of his true dedication to the project, and it just seems like he's never been able to settle on a particular vision for the future of the game.

Here's hoping the devs actually implement all the features they've been talking about when the beta phase finally rolls around. As of now, Standalone is a pretty empty experience, and once you get past a certain point there's absolutely nothing to do but grief other players. It will need a shitload more content before it can really ever be considered "finished".

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Well, that was needlessly dramatic.

It's fine if he wants to leave, but I don't really think it's as big a deal as he's making it out to be.

Sometimes change is a good thing.