Dear Everyone: It's All Going to be Okay

Pink Apocalypse

Oct 9, 2012
Infernai said:
Aww, this made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I wanna go hug someone, can someone give me a hug? ......Ah, fuck it! GROUP HUG! C'MERE GUYS~!

I'm the lettuce!!

The one next to the mayo, tho...mustard and I don't get along...

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
I thought this was going to be a really cheesy piece but it I've been pleasantly surprised.
Thanks, Today has been a good day :)

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Professor James said:
Darth_Payn said:
Yes! Thank you for this article. Let's not focus on the negative, but look for the positive!
And remember:
EDIT: DAMMIT, how do embed Youtube videos on this thing?!
Fixed that for you;well kind of.
Thanks, mate!

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
So long as Bethesda, CD Projekt, and Valve survive and keep making the same sorts of games they do then I don't care what other big names fold in the upcoming crash. In fact, if we could arrange for EA and Ubisoft to be two of the publishers that do collapse then gaming as a whole will become even better.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
DrunkOnEstus said:
A much needed shot of optimism in a sea of worries, and a different perspective worth thinking about. Thank you Robert, it's times like this that remind me why I'm excited to see a new piece from you.
I second that. I myself contribute to alot of the bickering and "debating" on the escapist and I think its time I did less of that and started to try to be more positive and bring positivity to the forums.

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
Yeah, good point. Being positive isn't my forte, but it's what's necessary right now.

An excellently written article, hope it spreads around.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Mimsofthedawg said:
Zombie_Moogle said:
Industries stagnate & need to collapse once in a while

I just hope AAA publishers don't get federal bailouts, which they probably will
... what actually? You actually think that? For realz? hahaha, no. Probs not.

All the other industries that were bailed out were specifically chosen because of either how integrated they were into our economy, or they were banks. Game companies aren't a particularly large part of the US economy... at least, not large enough to be bailed out.
I suppose the word "bailout" was a bit too specific, as there are many types of subsidies & cost reductions that corporations receive from governments by asking the right people the right way [wink]

Never underestimate the power of a good team of lobbyists.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Robert Rath said:
From the article

Originally, my column this week was going to discuss how BioShock Infinite uses history to reflect the modern age - but honestly, it can wait. No one wants to read about anarchist bombings this week, or racism for that matter.
This is very understandable and a good call, the articles about the real historic events in Bioshock: Infinites story have been really enlightening though. Is there any chance you will revisit those topics at a more appropriate time in the future?

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Yeah it kind of needs to be said. While publishers like EA may going into the red, they're still selling millions of games at $60 a piece. Regardless of how bad some are currently doing there's still billions of $$$ to be made here, it's just a matter of restructuring and figuring out what is profitable.

Rather than the early 80's video game crash people always bring up, if anything happens it will be much more like the 60's movie studio crash that you mentioned. From what I recall of my movie history it was a combination of movies being to formulaic (ie: the nuclear family values) at a time when television was coming out and giving the same experience at a cheaper price, and studios spending enormous amounts of $$$ on extravagant movie set pieces like in Ben Hur. While these movies were popular the money made couldn't justify the enormous amounts of money studios were blowing on making them big and extravagant to stand out from the lesser equivalents... sound familiar?

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
I just realized that now we re in officially in crash mode.

When you can write an article like that, with no particular argument for WHY the industry might be crashing just assume that itr is, and people react positively, that's no longer speculation, that's a point of no return.

UnusualStranger

Keep a hat handy
Jan 23, 2010
You know...the other day, I was doing my usual thing. Wandering about here and there, and went back to a site that I visited from time to time. 1up.com. I went there to see....

They were done. Shutting down. No more to really update or do. This was it, goodbye, good luck, and damn good to see ya.

And it was at that point that I realized that all my games and such were old now. Things were shutting down, going away, and were not going to be coming back. I know that this article is really trying to reassure all involved that things are going to be alright. That at the end of the day, people will continue to make fun games, and things will look back up, and we will leave the past where it should be.

But, I gotta be that stranger and just say it: We won't be ok without some action. Support this site and its people, be community people. Buy stuff, work with things, visit a bunch of forums and do stuffs. Maybe we are rolling downhill, but that doesn't mean you should just sit back and watch.

It'll be alright, but it isn't something passive. You MAKE it alright, and don't settle for less, because that won't do a damn thing.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Is it bad that I've been having a GOOD week? It's not like Yellowstone Erupted... although.
In Australia we had our "Indutstry" crash years ago, not fun.

"YOU MAKE A MOBILE! YOU MAKE A MOBILE GAME! EVERYBODY MAKE MOBILE GAAYYYYMMES!!" -Oprah (she said that, really).

KillaBC

Feb 18, 2013
To be honest the industry can crash for all I care. The way the publishers have been going around to protect there properties has almost made most gamers feel like criminals. There is no trust in the market when a large publisher is involved. Gamers lack faith and the general trend of money making schemes and restricted play is tantamount to that.

EA, Ubisoft and Activision have access to such large resources that they feel they cannot fail and that any amount of money thrown at something will sell. This is bad business practice full stop. Any good business will know that an investment is a risk but this is where the gaming industry is screwing up.

The vast resources of a publisher, the quality of the developers at there disposal and the near limitless of potential consumers as the market continues to grow in developing countries should be an almost guaranteed win. Wrong, you cannot get an IP that is know to be popular and expect to pump unlimited amount of funds into it, market it as the best game in it's genre and expect it to sell as well as the market competitor. Ideas, innovation and freedom of development make genre busting games.

Call of Duty's jump to the modern genre was a risk and the new approach was incredible. For all the hate CoD has now back then it deserved everything it got. But therein lies the problem, the large success and the what would be considered the mainstream attraction made money signs appear in publishers eyes. 2007 saw great innovation in the games industry such as Mirrors Edge and Mass Effect. Big, new games gave us the highlight of the gaming industry.

Then the recession annihilated stocks across the globe.

Suddenly money was fast becoming worthless, people were losing out on there savings and peoples futures looked uncertain. The global economy had gone to s**t. However games were getting bigger but publishers bottom line was starting to take on water. We the consumer continued to buy games, we loved the stuff that was coming out but the companies got shrewd. Shareholders got panicked and they attacked the consumer for the failures they were putting on themselves.

Suddenly we were at fault, piracy, entitlement, consumer demand etc gave them the right to force feed us the lies and deceit that they continue to force upon us. The results speak for themselves, an industry in decline, lack of consumer faith and a market unsure of where it's heading. The only real thing that seems to be doing well is indies with there small developing costs and different approach to doing things is doing them well. I wish them all the luck and I hope they succeed in there own little big way.

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
I couldn't care less about AAA games industry crashing. It's been a long while since I genuinly cared about AAA release. It's hard to care about something you can beat in 6-7 hours (which sadly became a standard AAA game length). As long as I have stuff like Minecraft, Mount & Blade, Terraria, Starbound and so on, I think I will survive. Meanwhile, stagnant industries need to crash once in a while, in the long run it's whats best for everyone involved. I just hope that retarded practices like always online DRM and shitloads of DLCs don't survive.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Look, change is coming and there's no sense in fighting it. But we can help ease the transition if we stop fighting each other
Words of wisdom. Sometimes gamers can just be overgrown demanding children and those ones make everything harder for everyone else. When we all pull together, we can do so much good and we should be focusing on that in the media rather than the negatives.

I enjoy how this article wasn't patronising. You recognise shit will go wrong and things will change rather than a lot of things I see which is "Everything is going to be okay because all is good and we're all gonna hold hands and dance around the rainbow." It's that realism some people need, a slap in their faces to wake them up if you will.

Change can be good if you embrace it. :)