Dear Microsoft, can you please stop counting your money for a second

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Well, tell me if they ever do it. Also, I have to figure out if KOTOR 2 works on the 360 or not. If it doesn't, I'll have to break out my old Xbox again. Right after I beat Mass Effect 1 and 2. And Oblivion. And FF12 (and 13 if I get it). Yeah, I think I have a problem.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
baggyn said:
Glademaster said:
baggyn said:
and please release another backwards compatibility update for the 360

Ok i just bought TimeSplitters2 for the original xbox in the hope that i might be able to play something else other than MW2 with my flat mates only to find out that its not backwards compatible. To add insult to injury the dashboard even says that the game in my drive is TS2 but won't let me run it.

Apparently the last update was back in 2007 so i'm not expecting another one any time soon, which infuriates me even more.

Anyone else had a similar problem with backwards compatibility?
You know you could always try an emulator that might solve your problem.
Yea its something i should to look into. Although i'm breaking up from Uni in two weeks so i'll probably just wait and dig my old xbox out then.
Honestly, you shouldn't bother with the Emu. Last time I checked, the only one could barely run the NTSC version of Halo. It's been about a year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not much better. You're probably better off just waiting the two weeks.

Aug 3, 2008
sheic99 said:
snip

Honestly, you shouldn't bother with the Emu. Last time I checked, the only one could barely run the NTSC version of Halo. It's been about a year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not much better. You're probably better off just waiting the two weeks.
Your probably right, i just want to play TimeSplitters

DarkMessiah

Dec 29, 2008
The title here is pretty unfair.
It would've taken OP how long to Google for a compatibility list? [http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&source=hp&q=backwards+compatibility+list&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=0&oq=backwards+compatibility+list&fp=2b55dd493efff34a]
Or the compatibility of TS2? [http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&source=hp&q=timesplitters+2+backwards+compatible&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=0&oq=timesplitters+2+ba&fp=2b55dd493efff34a]
It's the first result in both cases, don't blame Microsoft because you didn't do your homework before you purchased.
Also, original Xboxes are fairly cheap now, especially second hand, so you might still be able to play it if you pick one up.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
baggyn said:
Honestly, no i don't expect them to. it just cheeses me off that i can't play what is probably my favourite game on my 360. I guess i'll have to dig out my old xbox. Although if i have both next each other the power drawn by both power supplies may just melt a whole in te floor or cause the earths magnetic field to vanish.
Wait, wait... so, you actually HAVE an original Xbox, and yet you're bitching about the 360 not having backwards compatibility with your Xbox games anyway and acting like they've done you some horrible wrong?

You know what? Just go away. We don't need your kind here.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Baby Tea said:
Baneat said:
It's making them very little if any to make backwards compatibility, and uses a lot of their resources for the pittance. Micro$$$$oft for you.
You mean 'Good business sense for you'?
Microsoft, like every other business, wants to make money. And spending major man-hours to make backwards compatibility work for a very minor and small part of the market that they'll never see money from is just good business sense. With such a small percentage of gamers wanting this, and that number just getting smaller, why waste the time and money?

You can't blame them for not wanting to throw money away.
Under the assumption that I fully support capitalism, yes I'd see your point. Was more of a condemnation of it (How the hell can medicine be industrialised, so you're saying that if it were profitable to raise the prices above soem of those who needed it, you'd do it?)

I don't know what structure I agree with, either too controlling or not controlling enough.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
That's unfortunate, but, really, at least there's some backwards compatibility. Original Xboxes are generally very cheap these days, so you're not sacrificing much cash in order to play your older games. Although getting an original would probably add to the growing fire hazard that is my plug socket.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
Support for those games is being dropped soon so it's kind of stupid for you to ask.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
As someone stated above, Official Xbox Magazines had demo disks that included a backwards compatibility updates as well as a list of backwards companionable games.

Though I'm not sure if there doing that anymore.

skywalkerlion

Jun 21, 2009
EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't see that there's certain games that are incompatible. Sorry for the dumb comment :(

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Baneat said:
Under the assumption that I fully support capitalism, yes I'd see your point. Was more of a condemnation of it (How the hell can medicine be industrialised, so you're saying that if it were profitable to raise the prices above soem of those who needed it, you'd do it?)

I don't know what structure I agree with, either too controlling or not controlling enough.
Well we certainly aren't talking about medicine here. We're talking about a computer software/hardware business whose sole purpose is to make money. You original post didn't seem so much a slam on capitalism, as a slam on Microsoft for wanting to make money...which is pretty much their prime directive as a business...and every business. Ever.

I'm sure we could debate/agree on the sale and 'business' of pharmaceuticals and healthcare, but that's way way off topic from Xbox backwards compatibility. Safe to say: All healthcare and medicine should be free. At least, that's what I think. But I'm leaving it at that, since derailing isn't something I'm too fond of.

Womplord

Feb 14, 2010
FactualSquirrel said:
BG&E is like that as well, but it didn't really bother me.

Why should they? it won't make 'em any more money.
it could... i would be more likely to buy one.

EzraPound

Jan 26, 2008
baggyn said:
and please release another backwards compatibility update for the 360

Ok i just bought TimeSplitters2 for the original xbox in the hope that i might be able to play something else other than MW2 with my flat mates only to find out that its not backwards compatible. To add insult to injury the dashboard even says that the game in my drive is TS2 but won't let me run it.

Apparently the last update was back in 2007 so i'm not expecting another one any time soon, which infuriates me even more.

Anyone else had a similar problem with backwards compatibility?
The 360's backward compability is based on software emulation rather than having built-in hardware to support Xbox games, à la the Wii, and is therefore kind of rubbish... I recommend just buying an Xbox, Gamecube, or PS2 (all of which have TS2 on them).

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
Even Kotor, one of the 8 games they advertised on their side for backwards compatibility isn't backwards compatible. The Fps in Combat are one every 3 seconds, worse when multiple enemies are surrounding you.