Dear Oblivion:

Cridhe

May 24, 2011
I know I just started playing you recently, but is there any conceivable reason I should allow myself to go farther than level 1? You seem way too hard at level 2+.

Sincerely,
Cridhe

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Because you can turn the difficulty down.

Seriousl, what the hell is the point of this thread?

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
You shouldn't level up right away, get a quite few levels in your skills, and that when you actually do level up you can get bigger bonuses to your stats.

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
Don't bother leveling up, cause you'll lose some of the feel of the game once the bandits start wearing the best armor types... I never went beyond lvl 10 and it felt much better than my second play-trough where I got to lvl 30 and above.

Also, there's a dificulty slider. So extremely customizable. Tweak it a bit if it doesn't feel right.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
....What?

Turn down the difficulty, what the hell is the point of this thread?

/thread

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Well, upgrading your Sneak and Lockpick skills might be a good ide-

"STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM!"​

...never mind.

Fortunately Skyrim's leveling system will be different, with no psychic guards to boot.

Cridhe

May 24, 2011
cyrogeist said:
ZeroMachine said:

[/thread]
what he said
I don't particularly care for having to turn down the difficulty knob to make the game seem fair. If at level 5 the game becomes impossibly difficult on it's default setting... Well I just don't like that.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
The first time I played all my primary skills were useless things like running and jumping and selling. I got to level 15 with no sword skills and I died a lot.

Cridhe

May 24, 2011
Neverhoodian said:
Well, upgrading your Sneak and Lockpick skills might be a good ide-

"STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM!"​

...never mind.

Fortunately Skyrim's leveling system will be different, with no psychic guards to boot.
Nice derpguard. Haha.

That's good to know about Skyrim, though. It's a good looking game from all I've read about it.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Cridhe said:
cyrogeist said:
ZeroMachine said:

[/thread]
what he said
I don't particularly care for having to turn down the difficulty knob to make the game seem fair. If at level 5 the game becomes impossibly difficult on it's default setting... Well I just don't like that.
Then don't play the game and stop whining. Seriously, if you aren't willing to adjust the difficulty to your skill level then just don't play the game or get better at it

Amondren

Oct 15, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
No point these treads need to stop their is no discussion value in them (Especially in such a short original post.)

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Cridhe said:
cyrogeist said:
ZeroMachine said:

[/thread]
what he said
Not if you sneak, or use block, or use illusion magic, or put "drain health 100 for 1 sec" on all your combat spells...

But Morrowind's better anyway, and it doesn't have any level scaling :) There are also mods that fix this problem.

cryogeist

Apr 16, 2010
Cridhe said:
cyrogeist said:
ZeroMachine said:

[/thread]
what he said
alright then
use magic..it's waaaaay too over powered

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
ZeroMachine said:

Saviordd1 said:
....What?

/thread
In fairness, you shouldn't have to turn the difficulty down for a game to be balanced,

I love Oblivion, have over 300 hours on it - but the levelling system is a huge flaw in the game.

Cridhe

May 24, 2011
Kahunaburger said:
Cridhe said:
cyrogeist said:
ZeroMachine said:

[/thread]
what he said
Not if you sneak, or use block, or use illusion magic, or put "drain health 100 for 1 sec" on all your combat spells...

But Morrowind's better anyway, and it doesn't have any level scaling :) There are also mods that fix this problem.
That's good to know. I'll have to reroll my character maybe and tweak a few things.

Cridhe

May 24, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
ZeroMachine said:

Saviordd1 said:
....What?

/thread
In fairness, you shouldn't have to turn the difficulty down for a game to be balanced,

I love Oblivion, have over 300 hours on it - but the levelling system is a huge flaw in the game.
That's how I feel about it. I'm just walking into the series with Oblivion and found it to be severely off-putting with the level scaling. Things just kept getting harder and harder. I read something about min/maxing and the 5/5/5 rule for leveling, but jeez that seems like a lot of work for a game.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
ZeroMachine said:

Saviordd1 said:
....What?

/thread

Its not that unbalanced at level 2 or 5, I can do it pretty damn easily. You can critique all you want but dont complain about it on a forum like that will fix it. Either adjust to the games faults or dont play.