Dear Users Complaining About Moderators

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Zeckt said:
See? typical escapist modders at their best. A warning for simply telling them how I feel about their work as a result of their actions in a forum topic that specifically ASKS for honesty. I won't stroke your ego trying to suck up to you, I will speak the truth like I always do. So sorry that hurts.

Here's the thing. That warning no longer effects me, I know the truth of you, you out of control mod that flags me for HONESTY and know that my time is not even worth spent here as a result of you being so bad that these forums are not even worth it. No matter how many times you flag me or even ban me you will NOT change my mind. This is just internet land, nothing you do here truely effects me. Even if you were to ban me I can simply stand up from my chair and your little world where you think you have complete control amounts to NOTHING to me. My life is not effected in any way, shape or form. You have nothing over me. In reality you are just a desktop dictator. Nothing you can say or do will change that, even banning me. THAT is your reality. Mine is at least now free from you. But you are still who you are in reality.

Goodbye, escapist. Your mods truely are terrible people not just here but in real life for flagging HONESTY when it was asked for. Good riddance. Oh, and mod? take a good look in the mirror next time you go to brush your teeth. Take a good look, and realize you are a petty, awful person. Sorry for speaking what I felt was the truth. You are just like the Chinese government, throwing people in jail for simply speaking up. You must be so fucking proud of yourself for that, dictator. Pat yourself on the back for your powertrip, did you get an emotional high? must feel SOOOOO good for you. I am logging off, not looking back and laughing at you for this. Your ban can't stop that!
Yes, it really does seem like getting mod wrath has had no effect on you whatsoever.

For the millionth time, I still don't understand why people get so worked up over this.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
Zeckt said:
I don't think it was the 'honesty' that got you the warning, [user]Zeckt[/user]. I think it was insulting the Mods. Mods[footnote]Most of them, anyhow.[/footnote] are people, too. And, you kind of aren't allowed to insult people directly or indirectly. (The part where you said, 'the mods suck', not just some criticisms you gave)

Though, I hope you find happier and greener pastures out there in internet land.
Happy travels, my friend.[br]

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Colour Scientist said:
Zeckt said:
See? typical escapist modders at their best. A warning for simply telling them how I feel about their work as a result of their actions in a forum topic that specifically ASKS for honesty. I won't stroke your ego trying to suck up to you, I will speak the truth like I always do. So sorry that hurts.

Here's the thing. That warning no longer effects me, I know the truth of you, you out of control mod that flags me for HONESTY and know that my time is not even worth spent here as a result of you being so bad that these forums are not even worth it. No matter how many times you flag me or even ban me you will NOT change my mind. This is just internet land, nothing you do here truely effects me. Even if you were to ban me I can simply stand up from my chair and your little world where you think you have complete control amounts to NOTHING to me. My life is not effected in any way, shape or form. You have nothing over me. In reality you are just a desktop dictator. Nothing you can say or do will change that, even banning me. THAT is your reality. Mine is at least now free from you. But you are still who you are in reality.

Goodbye, escapist. Your mods truely are terrible people not just here but in real life for flagging HONESTY when it was asked for. Good riddance. Oh, and mod? take a good look in the mirror next time you go to brush your teeth. Take a good look, and realize you are a petty, awful person. Sorry for speaking what I felt was the truth. You are just like the Chinese government, throwing people in jail for simply speaking up. You must be so fucking proud of yourself for that, dictator. Pat yourself on the back for your powertrip, did you get an emotional high? must feel SOOOOO good for you. I am logging off, not looking back and laughing at you for this. Your ban can't stop that!
Yes, it really does seem like getting mod wrath has had no effect on you whatsoever.

For the millionth time, I still don't understand why people get so worked up over this.
So they can live out their fantasies of fighting da powah so they don't get the shit kicked out of them in real life is my guess.

That or free tome galore. :D

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Escapist forum is lax as hell. I mean ...the fact that I've never recieved an infraction kind of astounds me. The mods on say...MMO champion are way more trigger happy.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Zeckt said:
Colour Scientist said:
tricky-crazy said:
Sassafrass said:
To be fair, from what I can gather (Unless the post was editted!), the warning was given for saying (And I quote) "The Mods here suck".

Which falls under "Mod Sass".

However, if the statement was changed to "The mods here aren't very good".

Then the meaning is still exactly the same. The words are just different.

So, it raises the question as to if moderators are moderating based on the intention or just a choice word they take offence to.

Proto Taco

Apr 30, 2013
I really don't see how this thread helps anyone.

Basically the OP goes on an absolutist diatribe against people who complain, because seriously, it's SO unusual for people to complain, and then is promptly backed up by a similarly absolutist-sounding admin. The whole thing really kinda makes the OP look as bad as the people who are complaining about the mods.

I mean, people are people, sometimes they're gonna have bad days, and sometimes they're gonna complain about it on the internet. Can't we just agree that stupid happens, and everyone does it from time to time? Then can we move on to simply trying to understand each other rather than shouting over each other?

Nonsense like these "Dear XYZ," 'letters' don't help anyone. Mods are no more immune to human stupid than the rest of the milling masses, and both mods and milling-mass alike need to realize that.

Seriously, this is ridiculous.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Proto Taco said:
I really don't see how this thread helps anyone.

Basically the OP goes on an absolutist diatribe against people who complain, because seriously, it's SO unusual for people to complain, and then is promptly backed up by a similarly absolutist-sounding admin. The whole thing really kinda makes the OP look as bad as the people who are complaining about the mods.

I mean, people are people, sometimes they're gonna have bad days, and sometimes they're gonna complain about it on the internet. Can't we just agree that stupid happens, and everyone does it from time to time? Then can we move on to simply trying to understand each other rather than shouting over each other?

Nonsense like these "Dear XYZ," 'letters' don't help anyone. Mods are no more immune to human stupid than the rest of the milling masses, and both mods and milling-mass alike need to realize that.

Seriously, this is ridiculous.
To be fair to the many people who frequent the forums, seeing repeat threads over and over again can get very tiresome. The OP clearly has a strong opinion on the topic, so I'd imagine seeing enough people complaining just got him pissed off enough to speak out about it. I do somewhat agree that this thread is... well, it isn't really helping anything.

From where I stand, it's really just a matter of misinformation. Sure, the mods are fallible, just as you said, but a lot of the issues continuously pinned on them are completely out of their power. I'm not especially blaming the site staff (they have plenty more important things on their plate than moderating a somewhat niche internet forum), but many of the common complaints can only be addressed by those higher up the food-chain.

Also, people really should read the CoC. A LOT of common misunderstandings could be avoided entirely if people just read stuff instead of blindly clicking "Accept".

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Houseman said:
Fappy said:
Also, people really should read the CoC. A LOT of common misunderstandings could be avoided entirely if people just read stuff instead of blindly clicking "Accept".
I've read it, but I'm definitely guilty of forgetting stuff. Is it enough to simply read it once, or must you read it as many times as you need to be able to memorize the whole thing?
I haven't read it in years, to be honest. I don't remember every nuance by any means, I just manage to stay out of trouble by being courteous to other posts. That's usually all it takes. The "Don't Be a Jerk" rule is vague as fuck, sure, but if you can understand what it means it'll cover your ass from 90% of the infractions you might accumulate.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
The Lunatic said:
Zeckt said:
To be fair, from what I can gather (Unless the post was editted!), the warning was given for saying (And I quote) "The Mods here suck".

So, it raises the question as to if moderators are moderating based on the intention or just a choice word they take offence to.
That entire exchange, and subsequent suspension, shows that there's a bit of a slippery slope when it comes to talking about this subject.

The more of a fuss you kick up, the more penalties you rack up.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
<quote=someone who ragequit the site, apparently>A warning for simply telling them how I feel about their work as a result of their actions in a forum topic that specifically ASKS for honesty.

It's funny, because I never asked for honesty. I just underwent intense Canadian rage for ten points, all of which he missed.

If nothing else, this thread has let me know who actually reads long OPs.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
IceForce said:
The Lunatic said:
Zeckt said:

That entire exchange, and subsequent suspension, shows that there's a bit of a slippery slope when it comes to talking about this subject.

The more of a fuss you kick up, the more penalties you rack up.
If only people could fuss gracefully, rather than through directly insulting diatribes...

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
TopazFusion said:
And despite all that you said in your OP, we're still getting people ranting and raving at the mods, calling us "terrible people", and accusing us of "abusing our power".
May I suggest a course of action? You round up all mods (all mods) and you all band together and create the new group. You will then call yourselves Hammer Force[footnote]as a side note, you may need to discretely dispose of these guys [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbQ8VkoO-iA] so they don't dispute your title.[/footnote]. Now sweep across the planet and enslave all of humanity. Afterwards, you should enslave all other species one by one for good measure[footnote]I suggest going in alphabetical order - so, start with aadvarks.[/footnote]. With the entire planet in under your firm iron (but also just and caring) fist you start administer bans[footnote]Which, by the way, would mean "eating a banana split in front of somebody without giving them any" - "ban" in short because when you are eating a banana split you don't want to say that whole phrase.[/footnote]. Hold public bans, private bans, personal bans, and group bans - all sorts. After exactly a year and a day since your rule started, you mods would gather all people together and tell them "See this? This is what abusing our power looks like. Be thankful we did not do it earlier. But now we must leave". You may need to take turns because of eating the banana splits, you know. But I know you can work it out. At any rate, after your speech you all fly off and conquer another planet to have only for yourselves and live happily ever after free of worry, regret or frustration, while humanity tries to pick up the pieces of their former lives.

Yeah, only thing that comes to mind on how to handle this.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
The Lunatic said:
Zeckt said:
Colour Scientist said:
tricky-crazy said:
Sassafrass said:

That would usually have the same effect. If, however, it was 'The mods here need to improve, here is how I think it could be done: XXX, what do you think?' and it was done in the moderators user group, where it should be, then that would be fine!

NortherWolf

Jun 26, 2008
This is the site where using troll about someone who writes a short post to flamebait, or talking about Adblock might get you warned or banned. But some posters are free to say that gay men are raping pedophiles...Yeah, my trust in the rules and such on here are about as low as they can possibly be.
It's just...Weird.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Eclipse Dragon said:
You touched on this a little Lack, but I think it deserves some more emphasis.

The mods don't get paid, they get pub-club for their trouble, that's all.

A person will not get wrathed for using the word "Adblock" or any variation of.
A person will get wrathed for admitting to using the plugin or advocating it's use.

The word itself is harmless, the non-wrath on this post can act as evidence of that.
[HEADING=1]BANNED![/HEADING]

Because totally legit Mod power reasons.
Not abusing my power
Never
>.>

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
NortherWolf said:
This is the site where using troll about someone who writes a short post to flamebait, or talking about Adblock might get you warned or banned. But some posters are free to say that gay men are raping pedophiles...Yeah, my trust in the rules and such on here are about as low as they can possibly be.
It's just...Weird.
Do you report the posts calling gays paedophiles when you see them? If so, then yeah, it's completely wrong that they don't get moderated (I do find that hard to believe though). If not, the mods probably never see the posts in the first place. They depend on us users flagging stuff, as there's no way a handful of unpaid volunteers with real lives outside this site could possibly read every single post.

NortherWolf

Jun 26, 2008
Eamar said:
NortherWolf said:
It's just...Weird.
Do you report the posts calling gays paedophiles when you see them? If so, then yeah, it's completely wrong that they don't get moderated (I do find that hard to believe though). If not, the mods probably never see the posts in the first place. They depend on us users flagging stuff, as there's no way a handful of unpaid volunteers with real lives outside this site could possibly read every single post.
Yep, after a while I gave up and put said user on Ignore. I've realized that this site is, put simply, shit. It's to damn focused on patting the egos of it's users that if you act like a complete dick to anyone outside it, then that's fine.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
NortherWolf said:
Yep, after a while I gave up and put said user on Ignore.
Huh, that does sound odd. As Barbas said earlier, would you mind linking to the post in question? If your summary is accurate, that's an incredibly obvious breach of the rules, and I fail to see why it wouldn't be moderated. The post Barbas linked to is a recent example of someone getting hit very hard by the banhammer for making the same comparison. Someone also received a suspension recently for making a blanket, very insulting statement about western feminists, so it's not like insults have to be aimed at an individual to receive wrath.

It's to damn focused on patting the egos of it's users that if you act like a complete dick to anyone outside it, then that's fine.
I'm genuinely curious, what makes you think LGBT people are "outside" this site's userbase?