Death battle: lara croft vs nathan drake

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I enjoy reading discussions about hypothetical death matches between fictional characters and since the old DB thread seems to have gone under, making a new one for however long it lasts.

So....One of the most requested matchups has finally been done!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZqvscPIRfc&t=15s (for w/e reason my direct link is failing so doing it old fashioned way)

Going in, I figured winner would depend if they were going to go with original Lara or reboot Lara, with reboot Lara and Nathan being more evenly matched (and in nathans case having the clear advantage of luck, the dude must be covered with all sorts of luck fetishes such as rabbits paw and 4 leaf clovers), and original Lara being super OP in comparison to either of them.
Once I understood they were going with a composite Lara (though really i struggle to think what advantages reboot lara brings that original lara didn't have) i figured result would be obvious.

And so it was.
Yet, though i enjoyed the analysis as always since they usually do a good job of proping up the character, the actual fight itself... Hum..
It was allright i suppose but i felt the ending was unsatisfying somehow.
I get the metaphor of Drake's luck finally running out by getting an incredibly unlucky death, but considering Lara was ready to shoot him with a crossbow 30 secs earlier i'd much rather she had a direct hand in his demise. Dunno, when you compare it to some (imo) better DBs between big characters like Bayonetta vs Dante or Snake vs Fisher, they weren't afraid to have dramatic and gory finishes, so feel the end here was lackluster in comparison to others.

Still i enjoyed it decently enough, though the youtube comment reception is more...mixed, as is usually the case when 2 popular characters clash and one of them bites the dust.

So, any thoughts and ramblings to share my fellow DB fans?

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
The fight was really bad. Way too much shooting which means they have to miss a million times at close range because naturally they can't take a bullet. Lara is inhumanly skilled and strong even in the reboot so it was obvious she'd win. I prefer the live action fight from some years ago.

I can't say I'm much of a fan (anymore). I got kinda bummed out by DB when they put Tifa against that weeaboo chick. But anyway, they should still do Prophet (from Crysis) versus Predator - though maybe those two are too samey.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
McElroy said:
The fight was really bad. Way too much shooting which means they have to miss a million times at close range because naturally they can't take a bullet. Lara is inhumanly skilled and strong even in the reboot so it was obvious she'd win. I prefer the live action fight from some years ago.

I can't say I'm much of a fan (anymore). I got kinda bummed out by DB when they put Tifa against that weeaboo chick. But anyway, they should still do Prophet (from Crysis) versus Predator - though maybe those two are too samey.
I am waiting for the day they put a Warhammer 40k Space Marine against either a Starcraft Terran Marine or a Halo Spartan.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
I am waiting for the day they put a Warhammer 40k Space Marine against either a Starcraft Terren Marine or a Halo Spartan.
First of all, it's "terran." Second of all, the 40K marine wins.

Then again, 40K is so overpowered it would win against practically every setting I can think of, with the exception of the Whoniverse, and maybe Saga of Seven Suns.

Edit: Oh, and Andromeda.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Loved the idea. And I think the battle was fine (certainly not among the series best, though). But the ending was a real anticlimax. Not only is Lara throwing her climbing axe to destroy the helicopter really lame, but having Drake die with the blades skewering him just felt unnecessary.

Don't get me wrong, I was figuring that Drakes only advantage was his insane luck, especially against a composite Lara, but I felt that could have ended differently.

Just Ebola

Literally Hitler
Jan 7, 2015
I mean, it was kind of a foregone conclusion, I didn't see any scenario where Nate-dog came out on top. The animation was ehh, the ridiculous factor was cranked up to 11, it just wasn't great. But I don't watch to see who wins.

I just want to hear those cringe-tastic attempts at doing one liners, in a rough approximation of the character's voices.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
McElroy said:

I didn't even think about it because it seems almost like a trope in db that if characters have ranged weapons then they will always miss with them for most part or get disarmed, but you're right xD
This only cements my opinion this DB should have ended by Lara gunning down Drake as he made some last ditch attempt to grab the macguffin.

Ebola_chan said:
I just want to hear those cringe-tastic attempts at doing one liners, in a rough approximation of the character's voices.
On that note..I thought Lara's voice was super meh, sounded off to me for w/e reason.

Samtemdo8 said:
I am waiting for the day they put a Warhammer 40k Space Marine against either a Starcraft Terran Marine or a Halo Spartan.
Maybe 40k vs a Spartan could work, but no way they would do versus a terran marine, or there would have to be like 1000 of them ><
But when boomstick did his list of best power armor, there was 0 40k mention so that bodes poorly for any 40k character being in a DB match, i guess warhammer simply ain't on their radar. Also I dunno if 40k has mass appeal the same way either a terran marine or spartan does, im a 40k fan so am biased but then to a non 40k fan maybe it's an entirely different story.
It's probably for the best though, do we really want to see a proud Astartes wiped to the floor by some angsty anime kid in a mecha suit?
Don't answer that you hypothetical weaboo heretics.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Frankster said:
McElroy said:

I didn't even think about it because it seems almost like a trope in db that if characters have ranged weapons then they will always miss with them for most part or get disarmed, but you're right xD
This only cements my opinion this DB should have ended by Lara gunning down Drake as he made some last ditch attempt to grab the macguffin.

Ebola_chan said:
On that note..I thought Lara's voice was super meh, sounded off to me for w/e reason.

Samtemdo8 said:
Maybe 40k vs a Spartan could work, but no way they would do versus a terran marine, or there would have to be like 1000 of them ><
But when boomstick did his list of best power armor, there was 0 40k mention so that bodes poorly for any 40k character being in a DB match, i guess warhammer simply ain't on their radar. Also I dunno if 40k has mass appeal the same way either a terran marine or spartan does, im a 40k fan so am biased but then to a non 40k fan maybe it's an entirely different story.
It's probably for the best though, do we really want to see a proud Astartes wiped to the floor by some angsty anime kid in a mecha suit?
Don't answer that you hypothetical weaboo heretics.
They don't put Warhammer against another Super Soldier yet they waste time making Scoorge McDuck Death Battle :p

Or Deadpool vs the Pink Pony from MLP :p

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
They don't put Warhammer against another Super Soldier yet they waste time making Scoorge McDuck Death Battle :p

Deadpool vs Pinky was a cute one xD

But eh? I don't remember a scrooge mc duck DB... Oh god it's the next one o0
Well euh..That's interesting. Never played shovel knight so don't know what to think or what the rational for putting these 2 together is.

They better fit in the ducktales theme+moon theme somewhere in there, especially if scrooge wins!

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
Just judging by his last game I figured Nate would loose. I wouldn't say that reboot Laura is as bad ass as Nadine Ross, but she is skilled while Nate gets by on luck. He doesn't really fight in his games, he brawls.

God'sFist

May 8, 2012
I'm still waiting for samurai jack vs rurouni kenshin or vs afro samurai. I felt the fight was okay until the end was hoping for a better climax than that.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Frankster said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Deadpool vs Pinky was a cute one xD

But eh? I don't remember a scrooge mc duck DB... Oh god it's the next one o0
Well euh..That's interesting. Never played shovel knight so don't know what to think or what the rational for putting these 2 together is.

They better fit in the ducktales theme+moon theme somewhere in there, especially if scrooge wins!
He's fighting Shovel Knight? SHOVEL KNIGHT?!

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
xD Now I really wish I played Shovel Knight so I can appreciate how ridiculous the match up is. As it stands i know nothing about the character other then he is a knight..with a shovel?

As an aside, still hoping for a Donald Duck vs Daffy Duck db. Now that's a genuine old skol grudge match right there.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Frankster said:
Samtemdo8 said:
xD Now I really wish I played Shovel Knight so I can appreciate how ridiculous the match up is. As it stands i know nothing about the character other then he is a knight..with a shovel?

As an aside, still hoping for a Donald Duck vs Daffy Duck db. Now that's a genuine old skol grudge match right there.
I know why, because in both their games they jump like on a pogo stick :p

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
Shovel Knight vs. Scrooge McDuck? At this point, Death Battle has reduced itself to clickbait.

And since people are talking about incorporating DuckTales music if Scrooge wins, I want to see a completely left-field Road Redemption reference if Shovel Knight wins.

What? Road Redemption is the only thing I've ever played that has Shovel Knight in it!

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Yeah, Lara was basically a shoe in to win. Old Lara fought gods. Hell, reboot Lara basically fought a goddess, and who knows what at the end of the second game.

Nathan relies on luck, and spends time in dramatic escapes from what I understand. Lara goes into combat not liking it, but coming into her own.
Player decisions shouldn't factor in to personality.

It wasn't a terrible match, imo.

While it was mentioned, Yang vs Tifa still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Yang's fight happened just as RWBY was getting a new season announcement, Death battle joined RWBY's parent company or something like that at the same time, and Yang won and Tifa seemed to job a bit hard, among other suspect stuff. The result is forever tarnished with me even though I like both characters a lot. Even the song from the fight is tainted.

Scrooge vs Shovel Knight will be more interesting than we give it credit for, IMO. Shovel Knight's heavily inspired by the old Duck Tales game. He does have a laundry list of abilities, including a suit of armor, but he's new so his feats are kinda short.
But we're talking about Scrooge McDuck here. Don't forget his signature move is high diving into a deep pool of gold coins, and not frikking dying, or even getting hurt. Gold coins do not have water physics. That alone is an impressive feat of durability. Then there's his videogame powerups, and decades of cartoon antics. I think we've seen how cartoon physics can really impact a fight.