Debbie Does Satanism: Jack Chick Dark Dungeons Flick Screens Today

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Debbie Does Satanism: Jack Chick Dark Dungeons Flick Screens Today

GenCon attendees will be the first to see this dark satanic gem of a movie.

First it was a dream inspired by a $1,000 lottery windfall, then it became a GenCon [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123478-Update-Chicks-Dark-Dungeons-Film-Seeks-Kickstarter-Cash]. If you backed it, a copy's out on its way to you, and if you didn't, here's why you should seek this one out.

The story is exactly as you'd expect, bearing in mind the source material. It opens on Da Villains in their dread fortress of doom as they plot horrific destruction for all humanity. Astrology and tarot card sales are up, the One World Government is on its way, homosexuality's on the rise, and role playing games are spreading far and wide across the land. So far so good, but Da Villains aren't in the mood to wait: if Cthulhu [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136754-Even-Death-May-Die-Sandy-Petersen-Talks-Call-of-Cthulhu]'s to rise and crush all in its path, they need a couple of suckers to usher in the apocalypse.

Enter Marcie (Anastasia Higham) and Debbie (Alyssa Kay), two naïve young Christians who've left home for the first time and are determined to spread the good word at college. Before long Marcie and Debbie are face to face with the RPG gamers. "We've been trying to throw them off campus for years," wails student counsellor Mike (Trevor Cushman), "But they're just too popular!"

Too popular? Yeah, I remember those happy times, and that's the point. Everything's so loopy that you can't help but love it. Da Villains huddled in their fortress like something out of Super Friends, Ms. Frost (Tracy Hyland) ruling over everything like a demented praying mantis just waiting for her chance to bite someone's head off, Debbie and Marcie's descent into RPG madness; it's all funny in its own right, but if you were an 80's kid and played those games - or maybe just read one too many episodes of Knights of the Dinner Table - it has an extra slice of joy for you.

Higham and Kay deserve special mention as the double act that sets everything in motion. Gawky and goofy, they plunge in like a pair of puppies hoping to save the RPGers from themselves and bring them back to the Light. Besides "if you and I don't go," says Debbie, "we'd be spending all Saturday alone together in our dorm room, and how much fun could we have doing that?" Cue naughty thoughts that Jack Chick probably wouldn't approve of. The two work well together, and Higham adds that extra bit of vulnerability that pays off big time when Black Leaf later fails her save against poison.

[gallery=3001]

It's the little things that get to you. When Debbie nearly flunks out because she's been spending too much time at the table, unaccustomed twinges of guilt began to surface; I remember coming close on a couple exams too, for much the same reason. Unlike Debbie, my only solution was to study harder. However the one thing that a lot of people may have a problem with is the ending, which is exactly as you'd expect it to be given the source material [http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.ASP].

Some may hate it, and that's okay. Ralls had to be faithful to the source, but that doesn't make it any easier to watch. That said, I can't summon up any real resentment against Chick, any more than I can hate a 99-year-old Aunt who gibbers about the dangers of communism. Those days are dead, the fight's pretty much over, and the only people who take it seriously are so out of touch they might as well be living on Mars. If that ending is the price I had to pay for everything that came before, then so be it.

Hell, if anything Dark Dungeons succeeds precisely because it does play it straight. Jack Chick is one of those crazies that you really have to see to believe, and if Dark Dungeons had succumbed to temptation and turned his work into a parody, this movie wouldn't be nearly as much fun. You can't parody madness, only portray it.

Zombie Orpheus [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134769-Dark-Dungeons-Jack-Chick-Film-Director-This-Is-Bigger-Than-I-Dreamed] deserves praise for stepping in, since without it Ralls would never have been able to make anything like as good a film. Yes, Cthulhu's still just one step above a sock puppet with glowing eyes, but you expect dodgy effects when the budget's just about enough to buy a used Sedan. Zombie Orpheus brought expertise to the table, and it shows.

"If the audience has one tenth of the joy watching this film that I had making it I know I will have done my job well," says Ralls. "No joke, making this film was literally a lifelong dream for me." If you want to see what that lifelong dream looks like, 8 minute preview [http://darkdungeonsthemovie.com/] to help you make your mind up.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I still can't quite figure out whether the makers were pointing out the insanity of Jack Chick, or genuinely believe it themselves. Whether this movie is meant to be this funny, or the makers are simply oblivious to it.

Either way, the world is a brighter place for this existing.

Craig Rigby

Aug 7, 2012
Doclector said:
I still can't quite figure out whether the makers were pointing out the insanity of Jack Chick, or genuinely believe it themselves. Whether this movie is meant to be this funny, or the makers are simply oblivious to it.

Pretty sure they are planning on playing it straight for the most part but they are well aware of how dumb it is. Zombie orpheus entertainment is involved, Check them out on youtube, they do some really good D&D stuff, including the gamers films.

jrralls

Apr 23, 2013
Also you can see this preview of it http://youtu.be/LADLv1803Vw and the entire film can be bought at www.darkdungeonsthemovie.com

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
jrralls said:
Also you can see this preview of it http://youtu.be/LADLv1803Vw and the entire film can be bought at www.darkdungeonsthemovie.com
Hey its you! Congrats on releasing your dream.

I'm downloading the movie now, let the crazy's commence!

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Doclector said:

The people who made the movie are huge D&D fans - they have several D&D live action fan series up on their youtube channel. Heck, its the people who made the The Gamers movies.

And I'm glad to see that it hasn't been reduced to a parody. Chick's 'work' is kinda stuff you have to get raw just to experience how crazy it really is. Then you can laugh at it... or cry.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
This is totally off topic but I had to share this story.

About Junior High/High School, a few of my fellow D&D players were from a hardcore Christian family. I myself, while not identifying as Christian, still have a spiritual belief system (and its personal so don't ask). One day we were setting up a campaign, doing the preliminaries of rolling characters, choosing the setting, etc. when the patriarch of the family came in and started spouting how the D&D books claimed Jesus was a god in the setting and since the books were fictional also claimed Jesus was fiction.
Calmly, succinctly, I picked up the books that had anything to do with D&D-verse deities and asked him to set aside his obvious misinformation and actually look through them and tell me where exactly that is said. To my surprise he immediately grabbed the books and stormed off with an attitude that suggested he was going to prove me horribly wrong.
A few hours later he came back, handed me the books and apologized. He said that while there were elements of things he didn't particularly like, he didn't read anything anti-christian at all and admitted he was wrong. He also praised the parts of the DM's guide that strongly advised DM's from allowing players to play evil characters as they tend to be detrimental to the narrative (AD&D DM's guide if you want to look it up).
Anyway it was nice to see a person who I thoght was nothing but a close-minded fundamentalist actually give something like D&D a chance. After that we were allowed to hold sessions at the house as long as we kept our language clean and refrained from being too graphic in describing the violence as there were very young children in the house.
Later I heard he'd been ostracized for using my argument against a sermon the pastor of the Church I used to go to (and they went to). I asked him about it later and he said it opened his eyes that no man, not even a pastor, is the voice of God, but rather just a man giving his own interpretations and sometimes misconceptions of things in the world.

seiler88

Feb 22, 2011
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
This is totally off topic but I had to share this story.

About Junior High/High School, a few of my fellow D&D players were from a hardcore Christian family. I myself, while not identifying as Christian, still have a spiritual belief system (and its personal so don't ask). One day we were setting up a campaign, doing the preliminaries of rolling characters, choosing the setting, etc. when the patriarch of the family came in and started spouting how the D&D books claimed Jesus was a god in the setting and since the books were fictional also claimed Jesus was fiction.
Calmly, succinctly, I picked up the books that had anything to do with D&D-verse deities and asked him to set aside his obvious misinformation and actually look through them and tell me where exactly that is said. To my surprise he immediately grabbed the books and stormed off with an attitude that suggested he was going to prove me horribly wrong.
A few hours later he came back, handed me the books and apologized. He said that while there were elements of things he didn't particularly like, he didn't read anything anti-christian at all and admitted he was wrong. He also praised the parts of the DM's guide that strongly advised DM's from allowing players to play evil characters as they tend to be detrimental to the narrative (AD&D DM's guide if you want to look it up).
Anyway it was nice to see a person who I thoght was nothing but a close-minded fundamentalist actually give something like D&D a chance. After that we were allowed to hold sessions at the house as long as we kept our language clean and refrained from being too graphic in describing the violence as there were very young children in the house.
Later I heard he'd been ostracized for using my argument against a sermon the pastor of the Church I used to go to (and they went to). I asked him about it later and he said it opened his eyes that no man, not even a pastor, is the voice of God, but rather just a man giving his own interpretations and sometimes misconceptions of things in the world.
Something like that happened with me and my mom a few years back.

I'm a Christian and I can't stand Chick, he's an idiot who has never seems to have never read Scripture.

delroland

Sep 10, 2008
My mom burned my D&D books. That was fun.

On topic, I'm not sure I can watch this film even if it's a deadpan demonstration of the ridiculousness of the comics.

I also fear that fundamentalist Christians might see the film and not understand the content is batshit insane, rekindling the whole anti-D&D movement of the 80's.

If you think that's not a possibility, the last time I talked to my mom, she and her husband told me about how Russia and China along with "the Middle East" were going to invade Israel and God was going to stop them; that once He did, the ground would be covered chest deep in blood and that it would take seven months to clear the bodies, because that's what it says in the Bible.

Their mindset is the norm where they come from, not the exception.

jrralls

Apr 23, 2013
Please watch the first eight minutes for free on youtube and make an informed call;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LADLv1803Vw