Deep Silver Clarifies "More Accessible" Metro Comment

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Deep Silver Clarifies "More Accessible" Metro Comment

Deep Silver says it has no intention of compromising the Metro franchise, it just wants to make future games in the series even bigger and better.

Compared to Metro 2033, Metro: Last Light is a hand-holding tiptoe through the tulips on a warm spring afternoon, but it's still pretty far from mainstream run-and-gun giggles. The world of Metro remains grim, dirty and vicious, without a hint of winking irony in sight, and the only way to escape the claustrophobic confines of the Moscow Metro is to go to the surface, which will kill you just for trying to breathe. Good times, right?

It actually is, in the eyes of an awful lot of fans, and so when Deep Silver Head Dude Dr. Klemens Kundratitz said last week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127130-Metro-Will-Absolutely-Continue-Deep-Silver-Says] that the publisher wants to make it "more accessible for a broader gamer audience," there was not exactly widespread rejoicing. Recognizing this fact, Deep Silver Global Brand Manager Huw Beynon has now put out a statement of his own, reassuring gamers that the publisher has no intention of "dumbing down the game in a bid to woo a wider, more 'casual' audience."

"We understand the concern, and we would like to reassure the Metro fanbase that Deep Silver has absolutely no intention of compromising Metro's unique DNA. We completely understand that it is the passion and evangelism of our fans that allowed Metro to grow from a cult hit to genuine, bonafide hit," Beynon wrote. "Whatever direction a new Metro game takes (and we are still assembling the drawing boards), it will build on the bleak, post apocalyptic pillars of atmosphere, immersion, challenge and depth that sets this franchise apart from the crowd."

When Kundratitz talked about making the game more accessible, Beynon explained, he was referring to releasing it on a wider range of platforms, making a greater "strategic investment" in the Metro brand and ensuring that future games measure up to their predecessors.

"This is just the first stage of a broader initiative to bring Metro to a wider audience, without compromising the product's strengths," he wrote. "Metro is a pulsating, radioactive gem in Deep Silver's crown of rotting zombie flesh, and we believe we can build on the success of Metro: Last Light by doubling down on our unique brand of bleak, Russian, post apocalyptic horror."

Of course, he would say that - he's the brand manager, after all, and this is his fire to put out - but I suspect there's a legitimate disconnect between what Dr. Kundratitz said and what he actually meant. Whether or not Deep Silver will actually follow through on Beynon's promise is a matter for some future debate, but this wouldn't be the first time that a CEO of a major publisher drove gamers nuts with what he intended to be good news, and I bet it won't be the last, either.

Source: Enter the Metro [http://enterthemetro.com/uk/news/community_news_uk/statement_regarding_the_metro_franchise_uk/]

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I still got my eyes on you Deep Silver and now I have a name to write down on my hitlist if the series goes tits up!

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
Deep Silver all I can say is [Strong]You Better Not Be Lying![/Strong]
Otherwise, I need to know, do you have any intent of working your way towards the STALKER series?
We both know that's a loaded question.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
It'd be stupid of them to make any serious changes. This isn't like Call of Duty or Final Fantasy, brands which have been around for so long and are so established that they can do pretty much anything and people will still buy it just for the name on the box. Metro is still a recent success, and if they don't follow it up properly, it'll ruin their credibility and hinder sales of future installments. Unless this next installment is the last, changing what made it good in the first place would just be incredibly stupid and unnecessarily risky.

P.S. Thanks

Killer_tom

Oct 5, 2012
Wow that is a load off, I almost had a heart attack when I read that line, but at least they saying they won't mess with it. I really hope they keep to this.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Every time studios talk about "broadening the audience" if they only gave one solid example (just one!) on how they would do it there would be so much less drama about it. The reason why people hate these statements is that they are so ridiculously vague, leaving us to fill in the gaps with every worst case scenario imaginable.

If I heard "I'm going to take your baby from you, do something mysterious to it, but I won't tell you what and not give it back to you in 3 years" I'd be pretty angry too!

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
"We understand the concern, and we would like to reassure the Metro fanbase that Deep Silver has absolutely no intention of compromising Metro's unique DNA.
*sigh*... I've been on the internet too long, the word "fanbase" always looks like it should either be said sarcastically or is in some other way negative. I miss the days where a fan was merely a person who enjoyed a particular [noun].

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Now I want to know what Deep Silver think Metro's strength is. What they think the "DNA" is.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
I'd like to comment on a few of the statements:
1) Mac and Linux port. While I don't think that a Mac port of Metro is sensible (most Macs will simply melt when confronted with 2033), I will certainly buy Metro:LL when the Linux port is out, if only to play it with prettier graphics.
2) No dumbing down, probably more funding for 4A: this is actually great news. Plus: they seem to be sticking to PC, just like before (Deep Silver is more of a PC-first publisher, even if that sounds hard to believe. You'd understand why if you knew just how unpopular consoles are over in Germany - nothing except Nintendo does as well as it does in the US).
3) New Metro games will probably not be tying into Artyom's storyline. This, to me at least, is somewhat important. I tend to find that a sequel that just wants to flesh the universe out, and provide the player with a new story all of its own is done much better than a sequel along the veins of a Mass Effect, or The Witcher (both of these games are great, but they constrain the writer a lot more by having the previous games set so much up about the personalities of the characters and the lands in which the game is taking place, while also constraining the game designers somewhat by requiring the games to have at least similar mechanics.

Goliath100 said:
Now I want to know what Deep Silver think Metro's strength is. What they think the "DNA" is.
The atmosphere, the aesthetics, the whole design of the game. The fact that you need to do everything yourself, from charging your flashlight to choosing what bullets to load your gun with.

The single thing I'd actually like them to copy from somewhere else is the gunplay. And I mean just make it feel like it felt in Bad Company 2. Every shot feels like a shot, and not as if you used some kind of peashooter. Admittedly, it isn't that bad, but that is an aspect that, I feel, should be impoved.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Ok, this is actually pretty comforting. If nothing else it shows that they're listening to fan feedback.

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
Covarr said:
It'd be stupid of them to make any serious changes.
It would very much be stupid of them. It also wouldn't be a surprise if they went right ahead and made that mistake.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Simple solution: if they're going to put in a super-easy casual mode to make it more CoD, force a HUD element that's a kindly looking older gentleman. He will be mostly static, but at times with shake his head with disappointment.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Matthi205 said:
I'd like to comment on a few of the statements:
1) Mac and Linux port. While I don't think that a Mac port of Metro is sensible (most Macs will simply melt when confronted with 2033),
1) You don`t know your facts* and you think wrong**... try again.

1a) Last Light native port for OS X will be released September 10, next month.

*based on real-world data
**falsified by real-world data

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
This guy's words would be less damning if they, at any point in time, actually demonstrated what "Metro's unique DNA" actually comprised. They have shown no such knowledge as of yet. Until I see the proof otherwise, I'll assume they are what all big publishers are: fucktarded.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
Andy Chalk said:
"We understand the concern, and we would like to reassure the Metro fanbase that Deep Silver has absolutely no intention of compromising Metro's unique DNA.
*sigh*... I've been on the internet too long, the word "fanbase" always looks like it should either be said sarcastically or is in some other way negative. I miss the days where a fan was merely a person who enjoyed a particular [noun].
If just the Publishers let the fans enjoy their franchises!

If they just LET them, instead of turning a working product upside down, shoving it down the buyers throats while asking for a bag of money and then have the nerve to put the blame on the buyer, if it did not work out as they fantasized about it.

Playing sheep is no longer an option these days, for the good or the bad.

Devon Dent

Mar 17, 2010
Random game company "We are going to take something you like and help more people like it."

Random gamer "No, it's mine and I don't want other people to like it."

Devon Dent

Mar 17, 2010
Random game company "We are going to take something you like and help more people like it."

freedash22

Jun 7, 2013
Well, their response to their earlier worrisome statement was fast. Glad to hear that they are keeping their fingers on the pulse of the market. I've had good experience with Deep Silver so far, especially with the way they didn't dumb down X3 Terran Conflict despite it's crazy complexity which I loved so I'll give it to them. They haven't done anything to betray my trust yet so I'll believe them but they better be serious about this. Metro is too precious an asset to be sacrificed for dumb players' appeasement.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Devon Dent said:

Considering nearly every other Random Game Companies attempt at this resulted in a crappier end product which in turn damages the series in question...