Defective Samus Amiibo Sells on Ebay For $2,500

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Defective Samus Amiibo Sells on Ebay For $2,500

A factory defect Samus amiibo with dual arm cannons netted one lucky buyer $2,500.

While most people view factory defects as, well, defects, collectors know that these mis-produced marvels are the ultimate collector's item, and can sell for big bucks to the right people. As was the case with recently released amiibo figurines [http://www.ebay.com/itm/171555687750?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649] with a factory defect for $2,500.

The figure in question is the Samus you'll see to the right, who has apparently traded the ability to open doors and use her ship's computer for double firepower. The listing claims that the figure is in mint condition, and is completely sealed. It is so far the only one of its kind to show up anywhere on the internet.

Below, you can see a few more pictures of the figure, including a comparison with the original, non-defective Samus:

[gallery=3583]

Some critics on reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/comments/2nyqbq/defective_samus_amiibo_sells_for_2500/] are claiming that the defect is a fake, and that the seller has simply modified an existing Samus amiibo, and carefully returned it to its original packaging. The fact that this particular defect has yet to be seen elsewhere supports the theory.

Fake or not, its still a pretty cool Samus statue. If you do happen to find one of these yourself... don't put it back on the shelf in favor of a "proper" one - you may just cost yourself a couple grand!

Source: reddit [http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Factory-Sealed-Defect-Samus-Amiibo-Dual-Cannons-RARE-/171555687750?ssPageName=STRK%3AMESINDXX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=HqQfoRB159QwTNZ5CzIWN%252FCJU%252Fc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
That is an oddly specific defect. The fact that there are no others cropping up is also highly suspect :/

Dragonheart57

Jun 13, 2011
Fake or not, this has made me realize how much I want a dual-wielding Samus with two arm cannons in an actual Metroid game.

Parshooter

Sep 13, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
who has apparently traded the ability to open doors and use her ship's computer for double firepower.
In Metroid aren't most doors opened by shooting them?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Parshooter said:
Steven Bogos said:
who has apparently traded the ability to open doors and use her ship's computer for double firepower.
This is what i was thinking. Do we have an imposter on our hands? They failed the Metroid knowledge security test!

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
If Samus is one solid piece of plastic then this defect is fucking impossible. If she requires attachment of her arms by a factory worker then this is legit but entirely intentional by a bored worker, either way it is NOT worth over 2 grand, fucking priorities people.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I don't think it's real. It's too perfect. The left arm cannon looks perfectly attached and positioned despite being the wrong piece.
Parshooter said:
Steven Bogos said:
Indeed, either by shooting them or automatically. Samus only gave up her ability to grapple.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Who needs to open doors or operate panels when you have EXPLOSIONS.
Well...you do open doors in Metroid games by shooting them. XD

Olas said:
I don't think it's real. It's too perfect. The left arm cannon looks perfectly attached and positioned despite being the wrong piece.
Parshooter said:
Indeed, either by shooting them or automatically. Samus only gave up her ability to grapple.
So no real lose then unless it were Prime 3, but even then didn't Prime 3 have the return of the infinite scewattack? Grapple Beam in the long run has been rather terrible, and now Samus has twice as much firepower to blow the planets shes on up. Mayhaps she'll finally go back to destroy Talon IV, since that one lived. >.>

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Neronium said:
Mayhaps she'll finally go back to destroy Talon IV, since that one lived. >.>
That one made me giggle.

OT: I have no idea how this happened but I never realized I wanted one until just now.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Olas said:
Except it's turned the wrong way when compared to the other cannon, right? Probably because the joints are mirrored... assuming there are joints to begin with.

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
Neat, if less practical than the dual beam swords from Halo. Make another Metroid Prime already, it's hardly milking the franchise at this point.

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
The Samzerker? Interesting thought, maybe it'd be fun if someone could mod Prime 3 so you could use 2 Wii motes at once to operate 2 guns, that'd be a good test of hand-eye coordination.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
A factory defect Samus amiibo with dual arm cannons netted one lucky buyer $2,500.
Don't you mean one lucky seller? The buyer would be out $2,500.

OT: I actually heard about this at work, and from what I remember, more than one has been spotted.