Defiance Review - Great Concept, Generic Game

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
I'm most surprised that the thing that the reviewer enjoyed the most was the copy/paste Rift encounters from Trion's other game of the same name.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Neronium said:
Hm, seems very very similar to Borderlands to me. It's the branching out skills thing that makes it seem like that to me. Still, I'd of thought that they'd make it a bit more flushed out rather than samey.
When I watched Bro Stream's playthrough on Youtube, the top comment was "Borderlands 3 sucks!"
Frostbite3789 said:
The score seems a bit low for the review that was given. A 2.5 out of 5 when no real negatives were given? Just that it doesn't live up to the premise and the shooting/objectives are kind of generic?

Edit: ESPECIALLY considering A:CM got a 3 out of 5. I mean c'mon now.
Just because there wasn't anything notably bad about the game doesn't mean there was anything worth raising the score for. Don't what the deal is with A:CM.

Edit: Well it turns out that review wasn't done by the same person. Different reviewers having different standards? SHOCKING!
Yeah, I can see how their standards differ so much that a buggy, broken ass game, that had false advertising would get a higher score than a generic third person shooter, with an interesting premise. Good observation!

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
"ark hunter" really? lol oookay Borderlands right there.
actually the idea is pretty neat. if anything I might give it a try (Redbox rental of course)

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
I've been wondering about how the game was supposed to effect the series, could anonymous potentially sway the show into some abscure path that the writers have trouble explaining?

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Is enemy tagging a thing in here or is it like Guild Wars 2 where many people can attack an enemy and get XP for it? How is PVP handeled? Is it forced for some missions or entirely optional? Can it be soloed or do missions require players to team up?

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
ecoho said:
you realy should have waited till after the first episode of the TV show to reveiw this game as most of what makes it unique comes from the suposed interacion between the two.
Generic gameplay is generic gameplay, regardless of if their is interactions between TV show and game. This game just looks exactly like Borderlands, without the charm.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Newtonyd said:
More or less what I expected. Another cookie-cutter MMO doomed with crappy questing and skinner-box mentality. It's doomed to mediocrity and, pretty soon, failure.
Hopefully the tv series follows suit as well (though seeing that this is clearly their pet project, syfy will no doubt trying to keep it going), as a nice little bit of ongoing revenge against syfy for the canning of Caprica and SGU. Because I just can't let these things go...:)

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Bat Vader said:
Is enemy tagging a thing in here or is it like Guild Wars 2 where many people can attack an enemy and get XP for it? How is PVP handeled? Is it forced for some missions or entirely optional? Can it be soloed or do missions require players to team up?
Yes if you hit a critter that someone else kills you get xp. PVP on the xbox consists of 2 maps for DM. 1 6x6 and 1 8x8. There is supposed to be a 3rd but it is currently broken and non existent (except for the daily rep contracts that want you to play it but can't). There is also Shadow War which is 32x32 capture and hold the control point. All of which is completely optional to the missions (but not to rep quests which are just challenges for a different useless currency). So far I have not been forced to group with anyone to do a main or side mission and infact most of the main quests end with a full solo mission. But if some random is doing the same quest as you (except the solo missions) if they activate the objective while you are there it will count for you as well. So you can finish a mission just by showing up at the right time. The only time you are forced to group is to do the 4 player co op missions (which again are optional but the best part of the game IMHO).

razer17 said:
ecoho said:
you realy should have waited till after the first episode of the TV show to reveiw this game as most of what makes it unique comes from the suposed interacion between the two.
Generic gameplay is generic gameplay, regardless of if their is interactions between TV show and game. This game just looks exactly like Borderlands, without the charm.
No not Borderlands. It is an MMO of EDF 2017 (with less orange and destructible buildings). Thanks to the PVP it will never be as rewarding as BL. You are stuck with the same gear from beginning to end with slight variations of reload speeds and rate of fire. Your starter gear is almost identical to end game gear. Only the color of the name changes

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
squid5580 said:
Bat Vader said:
Yes if you hit a critter that someone else kills you get xp. PVP on the xbox consists of 2 maps for DM. 1 6x6 and 1 8x8. There is supposed to be a 3rd but it is currently broken and non existent (except for the daily rep contracts that want you to play it but can't). There is also Shadow War which is 32x32 capture and hold the control point. All of which is completely optional to the missions (but not to rep quests which are just challenges for a different useless currency). So far I have not been forced to group with anyone to do a main or side mission and infact most of the main quests end with a full solo mission. But if some random is doing the same quest as you (except the solo missions) if they activate the objective while you are there it will count for you as well. So you can finish a mission just by showing up at the right time. The only time you are forced to group is to do the 4 player co op missions (which again are optional but the best part of the game IMHO).

razer17 said:
ecoho said:
Thank You for the information. I am interested in trying it but I think I will wait a few months till it goes down price.

No not Borderlands. It is an MMO of EDF 2017 (with less orange and destructible buildings). Thanks to the PVP it will never be as rewarding as BL. You are stuck with the same gear from beginning to end with slight variations of reload speeds and rate of fire. Your starter gear is almost identical to end game gear. Only the color of the name changes

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ecoho said:
Thank you for responding but i think you missed my point(or i worded it wrong if so sorry) they have stated that new missons will be added that are more connected to the TV series after each episode and as such will be referenced in the following weeks episode if people manage to complete them.(they would be world events like rift has)
Does promise of future content really change the fact that it's out now and they're charging money for it?
MarsProbe said:
Newtonyd said:
More or less what I expected. Another cookie-cutter MMO doomed with crappy questing and skinner-box mentality. It's doomed to mediocrity and, pretty soon, failure.
Hopefully the tv series follows suit as well (though seeing that this is clearly their pet project, syfy will no doubt trying to keep it going), as a nice little bit of ongoing revenge against syfy for the canning of Caprica and SGU. Because I just can't let these things go...:)
They've killed everything I've shown interest in, so I don't even bother. Though SGU seems a weird line to draw in the sand.

Irottah Osnah

Apr 15, 2013
Something is wrong with the facebook comments so I'll try posting here.

There was no mention in the video of co-op missions, hotshot/rampage/time trials, achievements, or open world and instanced pvp. The game may be like Borderlands but that's not a bad thing, especially since Defiance has a lot more multiplayer content. The AI is less than brilliant but the mobs are still challenging in large groups and pvp is an addictive alternative. There aren't many mmofps games out there and this one does more things right than wrong.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
I've had fun with it so far. The thing about MMOs is they are always or should always be in a state of growth. I'm positive they're going to add more and the baseline product is enjoyable. As for the link to the show: the game takes place in the Bay Area and the show is in St. Louis...so I'm not anticipating a meaningful level of crossover.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Frostbite3789 said:
WMDogma said:
Frostbite3789 said:
fozzy360 said:
Frostbite3789 said:
The score seems a bit low for the review that was given. A 2.5 out of 5 when no real negatives were given? Just that it doesn't live up to the premise and the shooting/objectives are kind of generic?

Edit: ESPECIALLY considering A:CM got a 3 out of 5. I mean c'mon now.
This is why review scores suck. They're an awful way of trying to mirror the impression of the reviwer and are completely arbitrary.
Then if they're going to have them, the scores should at least be somewhat consistent.
I invite you to check out this article detailing info on our review scores [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/7149-What-Our-Review-Scores-Mean].
Which then explained precisely nothing.
The number is meaningless and you shouldn't care. You should read it as "how much did THIS player enjoy playing THIS game." And none of the reviewers are you. Amongst a reviewer base of a handful of people, playing games that are all totally different from one another, expecting some kind of "uniformity" beyond the aforementioned fun-o-meter is an exercise in self-congratulatory browbeating to no actual gain.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
TaboriHK said:
The number is meaningless and you shouldn't care. You should read it as "how much did THIS player enjoy playing THIS game." And none of the reviewers are you. Amongst a reviewer base of a handful of people, playing games that are all totally different from one another, expecting some kind of "uniformity" beyond the aforementioned fun-o-meter is an exercise in self-congratulatory browbeating to no actual gain.
Alright...then they just shouldn't be included.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Frostbite3789 said:
TaboriHK said:
Alright...then they just shouldn't be included.
I agree, but it's also what a lot of the readership expects, I imagine.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Well, I'm looking forward to future episodes that weave in elements of the game into the plot. It's a bold experiment in modern storytelling to be watched.

captcha: white rabbit
Morpheus? Trinity? Is that you again?