Define "good"

Indeterminacy

Feb 13, 2011
Zaik said:
For a word used to represent so many different ideas, why is morality the first thing popping into so many people's heads, exactly?
I think it's because "Value" in the modern world tends to be thought of in terms of decision making, rather than as a property of things. We evaluate and choose between different options, rather than thinking there to be some metaphysical quality in virtue of which the thing we choose is "better".

By shifting from the object to the subject, "Good" is perhaps most clearly thought of as "Right" rather than "Product"; hence morality.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Without using the word "good" or one of its similes like "nice"? hm, thats a tough one.

um... I would say performing an action that has a positive beneficial consequence on another person you are interacting with.

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
A food product before its expiration date.

Oh you meant the other kind of good

I tend to think of a K/D ratio of over 1 is good, since its better then average.

Oh you meant the other kind of good, as in goods.

Stuff you buy at the store would be considered goods, though it would be weird to un-pluralize that, "I bought a good at the store" just doesn't sound right.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
A tool for creating conflict and giving mortals times where they don't suffer so they remember what not suffering is like, thus increasing the total amount of suffering in the long term.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
something you enjoy and that others opinions will not damage said enjoyment.

For instance I like rap. Do I care about the rest of the Internets opinion? No.

weker

May 27, 2009
nice... nothing really else to right but as we need to keep content of posts high.
my second thought was why cant I have a WiiU now so when I go to Stafford after the summer for uni I could play games like Monster Hunter, and I could finally play some good single players games without online forced on me at every turn.
The wii is always a nice relief from the online oppression XD

fragmaster09

Nov 15, 2010
'good' has no concrete definition, you can say "she/he looks 'good'", "that game is 'good'" or "this food tastes 'good'", but it has almost no meaning, since it depends on the person saying it and the context of that

Indeterminacy

Feb 13, 2011
fragmaster09 said:
'good' has no concrete definition, you can say "she/he looks 'good'", "that game is 'good'" or "this food tastes 'good'", but it has almost no meaning, since it depends on the person saying it and the context of that
Blackadder: Very well, sir, as you wish. Let's start at the beginning, shall we?
First: `A'. How would you define `a'?

Prince George: Oh, I love this! I love this: quizzies...Errmmm, hang on, it's coming...
ooohh, crikey, errmm, oh yes, I've got it!

Blackadder: What?

Prince George: Well, it doesn't really mean anything, does it?

Blackadder: Good. So we're well on the way, then. " `a'; impersonal pronoun;
doesn't really mean anything." Right!

Dapsen

Nov 9, 2008
I was thinking i was gonna define like Ash Ketchum, when I read the title, but when I got to "just the first thing that pops into your head", it was actually my girlfriend. She is such a good person<3.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Oh you, starting a philosophical thread without acknowledging that you are greatly limited by the structure and nuances of the language you use to communicate your ideas.

Seriously, linguistics man. They fuck your shit up.