Defining Feminism

Sep 13, 2009
I hate how something that is supposed to be about gender equality is sided very much to the female side. You can debate all you want about which gender has it worse off, but I don't think that it can be debated that there are shortcomings on both sides in terms of how genders are treated. For that reason I wouldn't call myself a feminist, I am against anyone being treated more poorly than someone else solely because of their gender.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Hey, I've got an idea. Let's discuss sexism and semantics! In the same thread! On the Escapist! On the Off-Topic board! Clearly this will be an amazing thread and will totally not degenerate into shitposting from people who got lost on the way to r/MensRights.

Luna

Apr 28, 2012
Some people call themselves feminists, but are not.

To be a feminist you must seek to make women equal to men in society, but some so called feminists only care about woman's issues and as such seek to put women on a higher podium than men.

To be honest, I disagree with the opinions of all of the 3 variations of feminists in the OP.

Narrow-focus Egalitarian Feminists want to do things like make wages the same. But what they don't conceive is the possibility that it is fair that men earn more than women. Allow me to elaborate... If a women does the same job as a man, she should earn the same sum of money. However in many physical jobs it is reasonable that men have a more productive capacity than women because they are bigger and stronger. Also, when a woman gets pregnant she gets paid leave and as such is not as valuable as a male worker. A woman could take steroids to gain the physical capacity of a reasonably strong man and decide not to have children... But at the end of the day this is not the average, far from it.

I disagree with Egalitarian Feminists because I don't think certain races should be given educational advantages.

I hate Radical Feminists for obvious reasons. They hate men. I hate them.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Kahunaburger said:
Hey, I've got an idea. Let's discuss sexism and semantics! In the same thread! On the Escapist! On the Off-Topic board! Clearly this will be an amazing thread and will totally not degenerate into shitposting from people who got lost on the way to r/MensRights.
What an amazing idea! Kudos, my friend. I think next we should have a well though out and intelligent discussion about the friendzone and religion, namely how they affect each other.

Frozen Fox

Mar 23, 2012
So as far as I see it you have these. Humanist who want equality and point out inequality, Humanists who want equality but tend to favor or exclusively focus on the inequality of men and women, and women who want to castrate all men.

You even mention this to an extent as you say "This faction of Feminism could be better termed as humanists." but that is just a more broad version of Narrow-focus Egalitarian Feminist after all they are still pulling for equality. But I have to say when I think of feminist as a term I see it as (Insert race here) supremisist only for the female gender in place of race and it is likely why i can never take any form of feminism seriously along with the fact that humanists are concerned with gender inequality. I admit that I am likely wrong on making the extremist cases the sole definition but to be honest I fin the more you soley you focus on gender inequality or any inequality to be honest the you get to an extremist, there is only so much you can say on the inequality of a people before you simply damn ever person who is not of said people for their hardships.

HarryScull

Apr 26, 2012
I view feminist as people who nit pick at problems in the UK and often make the situation worse while doing nothing to help women who are treated far worse in other cultures like strict Muslim communitys were a women literally need's a man's permission to do anything from getting a job top going shopping

from a pure dictionary definition it';s someone who is fighting to gain gender equality and gain women's rights but by that standard very few of the "feminist's" I know, or see qualify, I seriously respect anyone doing something meaningful for woman's rights but in our country I see very little of that and 99% of feminist from England I've met have been down right counter-productive

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
Radical feminist = person who hides behind feminism in an attempt to spread her own brand of ignorance.
I can see where this thread is going:

[sarcasm]Why that's sexist, men can be radical feminists too![/sarcasm] Herp Derp.

So many threads on feminists, so many flame wars. And that's not even counting the Religion and Politics section, just be glad this thread wasn't posted there and we have some sane people onboard, I see.

OT: I think that...

Feminist: A person who feels that women should be treated equal to men.

Radical Feminist:A person who feels that women should be treated as superior to men.

Humanist: A person who believes we all should be treated as equals regardless of sex/gender.

It just depends where the focus is.

CentralScrtnzr

May 2, 2011
There isn't a grain in truth in feminism's claim to support gender egalitarianism.

Rather than provide a thoughtful and nuanced response, as there is absolutely too much I have to say on the subject, let me provide the following link to someone who may perhaps argue more thoughtfully and succinctly than I:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBgcjtE0xrE&feature=g-user-c

Men, in general are socialized to put the needs of others, particularly of women, before themselves. They, more than any else, need to watch that link.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
I believe that the first camp is the correct definition of a feminist. The second camp is much more broad and not just specifically focused on furthering women?s equality to men. The third camp is to feminists what the Westboro Baptist Church is to Christians. I think I (male, btw) personally fall into the second camp.