DELETED

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I'll also add the Portal games and Journey.

Along with those I think I'll add Animal Crossing. The most violent thing you can do in those games is whacking your neighbors over the head with your butterfly net.

Also the Katamari Damacy games. You can roll over entire countries in those games, but no one seems to mind. In fact, they seem to like it.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Portal. Definitely Portal.

Everyone is going to say Portal, of course.

And there's Dear Esther, or The Stanley Parable.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
+1 to the Portal games, Amnesia and Journey. All utterly fantastic games.

- To the Moon. Lovely game.

- The Longest Journey and, to a somewhat lesser extent, its sequel Dreamfall.

Aaaaand that's basically all I can think of. It is a bit sad that basically every other game I love is based on murderizing anything and anybody that looks at you funny.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Ahh, maybe The Cat Lady? In a certain way? Yeah sometimes you have to stab someone to death and get to Boss Mode around an evil couple's house with a shotgun the once and for an immortal, Susan is terrible at not being murdered. At base it's a walk around puzzle, talk to people game? No? Yeah maybe not huh.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney + sequels.

You fight people with words. 'S fuckin' great.

It's so non-violent (well as non-violent as a game about solving murder cases can be,) the one time Phoenix gets punched in the face he goes into shock because why would someone do such a thing :O

Also Katawa Shoujo because Visual Novels are good at not having to base a game around combat unless they want to. Obviously Hanako is the best in the game. All you poor, misguided Lily fans are so utterly wrong... It's sad really.

Hanako's intro scene is possibly the best scene in the game. Lily's is a close second place though, I will give you that.

"I-I"

"I?"

"I-I-IGOTTAGODOSOMETHING!"

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
Another vote for Amnesia and Portal, haven't played Journey :(

I also enjoy the Professor Layton games and Forza is my favourite racing series.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Gran turismo and pretty much any other racing game. Racing is still as (if not more) competitive than combat. It requires skill, timing and memory and in games like gran turismo your car set up is important too

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Depending on how stuffy you get about the distinction between video games and visual novels, Steins;Gate.

It doesn't have as much "gameplay" as another non-combat visual novel I'd include, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, but I loved every second of it and the subtleties of how the different endings got triggered were a lot more surprising and interesting than in, say, BlazBlue.

LittleBigPlanet. 2D platformers as a whole I'd like to include, because I'd question how jumping on the heads of cute creatures necessarily qualifies as "combat", but on a technicality the boss fights in Super Mario or Sonic almost assuredly disqualify them. Most of the "violence" in LittleBigPlanet is brought about as a secondary effect of the player's actions rather than something you directly do, though, and it's a quite fun mix of puzzles and platforms.

Super Monkey Ball. In an interesting fusion of tilt-table puzzles and, to some extent, time-trial racing, Super Monkey Ball is probably one of the most "game"-y games I've played, as it eschews most semblances of story, context, cutscenes, and things like villains or conflict and just throws you right in to have fun. Brilliant!

EDIT: Oh, and of course Journey and Flower. I'd like to see some of thatgamecompany's work reach the PC.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
I'm really into music/rhythm games.

Rock Band 3 is probably in my top 5 most played games ever. I've torn through 3 discs so far, which stinks because the game is getting expensive to replace.

Rocksmith is also a favorite of mine. I picked up the bass guitar a little over a year ago and I love it, and Rocksmith is helping me get better while not being bored.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
-Portal definitely. I only played number 1 though.
-Minecraft creative. God how many hours have I had fun in that. Yes the game allows for violence, but that's not the point of creative mode. :p
-Guitar Hero 3. The best out of the series for me.
-Journey for me as well. That game was beautiful.

Funyahns

Sep 2, 2012
Minecraft. Even if there is combat in the game it is not a game about combat. It is a building game.

Sim City 2,3 and 4 are up there. Along with some of the tycoon and builder games.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I personally love A Reckless Disregard For Gravity and its sequel For The Awesome. They're both BASE-jumping games and they're very surreal experiences along with being mind-wreckingly fun. ("Wreckingly"? I'm sure that's a word.)

Shatter was also a blast to play. It really is the best Breakout clone to have come out in the last 10 years.

As many have said, the Portal games are quite engaging. Although the enjoyment mostly comes from the characters rather than the puzzles...

Bestival

May 5, 2012
Portal 1 and 2.
Jeez, I can't even think of a different non-combat game I've played.

Oh wait! Audiosurf! It only has like 20 hours played. But that's not bad considering the average run takes around 4 minutes or less.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Animal Crossing games, my favorite of the innocent happy atmosphere type games. Tetris is pretty non combative.

Eduku

Sep 11, 2010
Ah, most of the games I would have suggested have been said.

-Scribblenauts is a game about helping people. Technically you can engage in 'combat' but it's certainly not the primary means of engagement.

-Does Mirror's Edge count? You can engage in combat but you're encouraged to avoid enemies instead.

-FIFA, as well as other sports games (FIFA just happens to be my choice as a football fan).

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
Papers, Please. The game is so charming in its depiction of a brutal dystopian country.

Syberia and Syberia 2, Circle of Blood, Machinarium, Longest Journey, and the Phoenix Wright series.

Delerien

Apr 3, 2013
Ceasar, Zeus, Poseidon, Rise of the Middle Kingdom, Children of the Nile...
You can in theory engage in combat/conquest in these games, but nobody does that.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Apart from Portal (1&2) and few gambling games I don't really have any none combat games.

From Dust is only other completely non-combat game I have/like, though it is on the short side.

Though I do have allot of RTS and TBS games that you can technically play without combat, though being completely defenceless seems to be bad idea most of the time even on economic or diplomacy runs due to over aggressive AI's.