DELETED

Dec 14, 2009
Are you serious?

XD

The Irishman said he would kill himself if he had corned beef and cabbage again.

He made his own lunch.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
The guy was complaining about something he was in full control to change. The joke is he's stupid enough to jump to his death rather than just make something else for lunch.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
I imagine the part of the British Isles these jokes be told in impacts the punchline. I live in Ireland so the Irishman is never the really stupid one in Irishman, Englishman, Scotsman here, usually it's the Englishman. I'd say the inverse is true in England.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
President Bagel said:
Okay then. Still not very funny. :/
It's one of those jokes that's supposed to be a dig against another culture. In this case, a dig against the Irish. Ultimately the point of the joke is, "He's Irish, they're stupid and all they ever eat is corned beef and cabbage! Har har har!" They're generally a lot more funny when you buy into the stereotype, or at least know of it. America has a lot of Indian jokes, and a lot of black people jokes.

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
Lilani said:
President Bagel said:
It's one of those jokes that's supposed to be a dig against another culture. In this case, a dig against the Irish. Ultimately the point of the joke is, "He's Irish, they're stupid and all they ever eat is corned beef and cabbage! Har har har!" They're generally a lot more funny when you buy into the stereotype, or at least know of it. America has a lot of Indian jokes, and a lot of black people jokes.
We do the same in Scandinavia. Us Swedes make fun of Norwegians, and the rest of Scandinavia make fun of us.

I remember that joke. We had a version of it where there was an American, a Spaniard, an Italian and a Norwegian who jumped, and it was the Norwegian who made his own lunch. I'm sure Norway has a version where the Swede is the one who made his own lunch.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Twintix said:
We do the same in Scandinavia. Us Swedes make fun of Norwegians, and the rest of Scandinavia make fun of us.

I remember that joke. We had a version of it where there was an American, a Spaniard, an Italian and a Norwegian who jumped, and it was the Norwegian who made his own lunch. I'm sure Norway has a version where the Swede is the one who made his own lunch.
This made me think of an old Adam Hills sketch about the Swedish Chef.
(starts around the five minute mark on this video).
Love the Muppets.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Twintix said:
Lilani said:
President Bagel said:

Indeed we do.
We scandinavians love to make fun of one another, like the true siblings we are :)

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
President Bagel said:
That's because the joke had to be explained to you, and also cause you seem to be oblivious to Irish stereotypes. There used to be tons of "dumb-Irish" jokes, kinda like blonde jokes. I haven't heard one in years though - these days you could expect a chuckle if you told one but not much more.

EDIT: One that's always stuck with me for some reason...

An English man, a Scottish man and an Irish man are all stranded on a deserted island. They find a lamp, and a genie comes out.
"Normally I'd grant the finder three wishes, but since there are three of you - I shall grant you each one wish" he says.

"I wish I could be back home with my family" says the English man. The genie snaps his fingers and the English man vanishes.
"I wish I could be back home, in my local bar" says the Scottish man. The genie snaps his fingers again and the Scottish man vanishes as well.
The Irish man then says "It's awfully lonely. I wish my friends were back".

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
There is an Englishmen, Irishmen and a Frenchman in the desert. They come across a lamp and rub it three times. A genie comes out.

"I shall grant each of you but a single wish" he intones.

"I want to go to back Ireland," pipes up the Irishman, "with a mug of ale that can never empty."

"Done!" said the genie, and with a puff of smoke, the the Irishman lives the rest of his days as a hero in Ireland.

Next came the Frenchman. "Genie," he said in a really thick French accent, "I am sick of these foreigners coming into my land. I want a great wall around France to let no one in or out, and I want to be inside when it happens."

"Done!" said the genie, and with a puff of snoke, the Frenchman returned to Paris and France was protected by the massive wall.

Finally came the Englishman. "Tell me more about this wall" he asked.

"Well, it is 2 kilometres high, surrounds the entire border of France and nothing can get in or out" replied the genie.

The Englishman thinks for a bit. "Fill it with water."

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
It's also a stereotypical sub joke about how married Irish women are considered bossy dominating women.

The English and Scottish men got there wives to make their sandwiches, and the Irish man has to do it himself.

It's also why she gives no shit in the punchline.

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
The joke is a little bit not funny because it's slightly too long-winded for an Englishman, Scotsman, Irishman joke. Also the humour is a little morbid what with all three main participants in the joke killing themselves. Also the jokes are better told in person with the accents. Being English the Irishman is always the butt of the joke and it's imperative that you put on your daftest attempt at an Irish accent for his punchline. Make sure you've got a recognisably English, Scottish and Irish accent in your repotoire before attempting these jokes.

Auron225 said:
An English man, a Scottish man and an Irish man are all stranded on a deserted island. They find a lamp, and a genie comes out.
"Normally I'd grant the finder three wishes, but since there are three of you - I shall grant you each one wish" he says.

"I wish I could be back home with my family" says the English man. The genie snaps his fingers and the English man vanishes.
"I wish I could be back home, in my local bar" says the Scottish man. The genie snaps his fingers again and the Scottish man vanishes as well.
The Irish man then says "It's awfully lonely. I wish my friends were back".
This is a really good Englishman, Scotsman, Irishman joke. It's succinct, not at all morbid and even just reading it I laughed at the joke.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
And as I came home on Sunday night, as drunk as drunk could be! I saw a man leave the house at a quarter past three. So I calls the wife and I says to her, "Would you kindly tell to me, who was that man who left the house, at a quarter past three?"

"Ayyyyyyeeee, ya drunk, ya drunk, ya silly old fool, still you cannot see? That was the tax-man round to collect his fee."

Well! It's many the day I traveled, a hundred miles or more, but an Englishman who could last until three still I never seen before.

Unia

Jan 15, 2010
What bothers me is why none of them thought to trade lunches.

Wish I could remember the Scandinavian variant that insulted everyone involved.