DELETED

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Eh, it didn't do much for me either; still need to finish it at some point (about two thirds of the way through) but it didn't capture me enough to make me HAVE to finish it. There was nothing in there to grab me.

I somewhat feel that Cowboy Bebop suffers from a very heavy case of pink-clouded vision. For some it was their first anime. For others its the only one they like because its an anime that isn't very "anime" so to speak. I watch a lot of anime but I really don't see why its so highly rated either.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
shapaza said:
So, does it get better later?
It's good from the get-go!

Am I just not watching it with the right mindset?
You don't have to like it.

Are there more sessions like Ballad of Fallen Angels?
Yes, Sessions 12, 13, 25 and 26.

Give it a shot until the halfway point, Session 13. By then the show's dynamic will have been fully established (the last crew member is introduced in Session 9), there will be plenty of development for Spike and Jet, they'll have their second run-in with Vicious and generally you'll know by then whether the show's for you or not.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Err the rest of the episode (I refuse to say well typed sessions) is pretty much the same as you already seen well except for the last two episodes. Granted one there are episodes that dwell on the rest of the character pasts.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
The overall theme of the show is facing one's past when it catches up with them. A lot of episodes are standalones, but there are key episodes for each character that reveal more of their past, which in turn encourages repeat viewings of the other episodes to see how each character's actions are dictated by their past, which colours how they react to each situation.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
shapaza said:
I wouldn't say that, but if you're expecting one long continuous narrative you'll be disappointed. It's a show about a ragtag team of outlaws who get into adventures, where it's usually the secondary characters within that particular episode that go through an arc. The pregnant lady from the first episode for example. And every couple of episodes one of the main characters will get a bit expounded upon. 'Ballad of Fallen Angels' is a Spike specific episode, and both Jet and Faye get there's, too. By the time the show ends the arcs for these characters are very clear, specifically Spike and Faye's.

Wary Wolf

Sep 10, 2015
I love Cowboy Bebop as well. But dear God, there are some awful episodes in it. There's a rather silly episode coming up that you'll either love or hate, depending on your knowledge of sci-fi (it's basically an Alien parody that I found hilarious, but was incredibly silly).

Again, as mentioned. The starting episodes are more there to introduce characters, and they all have their fleshing out and have growth as the series progresses.

I'm unsure what you like in your escapism, but I'd say that Cowboy Bebop does definitely have some charming, witty and downright awesome moments, and is worth the view. Hell, it's worth a second view so that you can piece all the puzzle together. Albeit it's pretty much left to interpretation. Got some interesting sci-fi ideas in it as well if you're into that.

Like the music too. (The below isn't a spoiler)
<youtube=YA4P1A3jtu0>

But as I've said. It's got some real eye rolling, this is really dumb moments in it as well (Heavy Metal Queen did not do it for me!). It probably doesn't help that many anime since has tried to ape it, so you may feel a certain familiarity. Let us know what you thought! But I hope you enjoy it.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
No, no it doesn't. There's almost no plot, and there's very little character development. I was disapointed the first time I watched it too. It's good, just not a masterpiece, and I liked it more the second time I watched it. There are some gems in that show, and the ending was good, but I wasn't amazed by it. If Edward doesn't change your mind, then I would just drop the show altogether. I almost want an Ed centric spinoff.

If you're really new to anime, I would reccomend studio Ghibli. Princess mononoke and spirited away are fantastic films.

If you want a more adult anime, then you have to watch Berserk. It has one of the best narratives I've ever seen. If you like adult fantasy stories, then I can't reccomend this enough.

Eva is another great suggestion, if you like dark sci-fi. It's a very unusual show, though, so I don't usually reccomend it as a first anime. It's one of those series that will either be the best or worst show you've ever seen. For me, it's one of the best.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Here's a chart I made.

Everybody gets at least 3 episodes' development, totalling 15 character-centric episodes entirely dedicated to development out of a possible 26. The remaining 11 episodes are a mixed bag. Some are pretty routine (Bohemian Rhapsody), some are "secondary character of the week" (Heavy Metal Queen), others are played for laughs (Toys In The Attic) and there's maybe a couple that feel like filler. Vicious shows sporadically in Spike-centered episodes and together with the Red Dragon Syndicate is the closest the series gets to having a recurring villain.

As you can see the first 10 eps are off to a slow start, since they're mostly about introducing the players (Spike and Jet in 1, Ein in 2, Faye in 3, Vicious in 5, Ed in 9). You're not going to see much 'development' until 10 and more importantly 12 & 13. If you check out the chart you'll see the meatier part of the show is somewhere in the middle.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
The show never lets the "main" story govern a consistent string of episodes save a middle few and an end few. It's just in a noticeable handful of episodes, so if you don't enjoy the dynamic it's got going because of that, it's not going to get any better. I still enjoyed the hell out of it but I can see how not really advancing the main plot in most episodes in some way could become a little annoying.

I'd power through a few more episodes. At least to the halfway point.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
shapaza said:
So, does it get better later?
How do you get "better" than perfect?
Obviously not. You're looking for something that simply isn't there.

Yes, Cowboy Bebop doesn't have an over arching plot. It doesn't /need/ one.
Yes, the Characters don't show progression, because they're /already/ clearly defined.

Just because it doesn't have those things doesn't make it not great.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Apparently yes. I didn't like it but I was told I should have watched till the end. Sorry but I'd rather not have to drag myself through the bordem.

Hochmeister

Jun 2, 2011
Bebop's an artsy, metaphorical, episodic show. If that sort of thing's not your cup of tea and the style, space opera setting and glorious music aren't enough to compensate, you won't enjoy it. Personally I think it's extremely well crafted, but since I prefer shows that are more grounded and have more plot it isn't one of my all time favorites.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Cowboy Bebop is definitely one of my top favorites in anime. That being said, if you don't like it then don't keep watching it. Not everything is for everyone and even people that like the same things will come away with different experiences.

Don't push yourself to the end if you're not having a fun time.

Wdbisl

Nov 17, 2011
I personally think it gets better. In my opinion a lot of it depends on the episode. Looking at an episode list a lot of the episodes I really like are after the first seven episodes. Also a lot of the character episodes happen in the latter half. I would say just keep watching the show and enjoy the character episodes when they come.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
shapaza said:
I've started watching Cowboy Bebop for the first time based on a lot of glowing recommendations from my anime-savvy friends. I'm kinda an anime noobie who wants to get more into anime, and I've heard Cowboy Bebop generally get praised as a masterpiece. I've gotten through the first 7 episodes (or "sessions," as they call them) so far, and while I enjoy the setting and noir-ish atmosphere, most of the sessions aren't really doing much for me. That is, most of them so far have been self-contained, villain-of-the-week type sessions that don't really seem to add much to character development or plot progression. While that's not bad per se, I'm still not seeing how this is a "masterpiece."

I did enjoy session 5 a lot though ("Ballad of Fallen Angels", I think?). I really loved the art style and atmosphere in this session, especially in the cathedral that Spike and Vicious fought in. It also seemed to be the be first session so far where real character development happened, as I learned more about Spike's past and relationships with other characters. And then... it goes back to one-time villain episodes again. Hooray.

So, does it get better later? Am I just not watching it with the right mindset? Are there more sessions like Ballad of Fallen Angels?

Also, as this is my first time watching the series, not spoilers for later sessions please.
It does ever ever so slightly better later, but I wouldn't recommend continuing if you haven't liked it so far. It's also not really an anime I would recommend to someone who is fairly new to anime. I tend to recommend FMA and/or Busou Renkin.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Cowboy Beebop is a sort of style over substance series. It's not so much about the overarching story as it is about telling good self contained stories that often allude to Western movies and culture. This allusion to Western influences is probably one of the reasons those in the West tend to like it so much. A sort of "I know that thing" quality that makes it easy to palate.

Is it good? Honestly, I don't think I could say that the series is of bad quality. However, I was never a fan of the episodes having so little connecting them. It's hard to say that any of the character's grow as a result of any of the events in a particular episode, either. However, if you take each individual episode on it's own, they are of good quality, especially considering the age of the series at this point.

I will say that the final episodes are among the best of any series. And it does focus on Spike and his past, rather than some weekly adventure. So, yes, it is fair to say that the series gets better, if you're looking for that.

Honestly, try not to worry about the background of Spike and Vicious unless those issues are important to the episode. Just enjoy the episodes for what they present. And if you can't do that, than try to find another series that might fulfill that need. I'm sure plenty of people here would happily recommend some anime if you give us some ideas of what you would like.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I like the series but I also felt it doesn't really hit it's stride until around the point Ed joins the crew in Session 9. If you get that far and you aren't enjoying it(or you think Ed is obnoxious), just do yourself a favor and stop. No-one should waste time on something that they don't enjoy during their leisure time.

As others have mentioned before, the episodes also vary in quality as well. It's an anime staple for me but there are episodes that don't really do much for me, even after watching the entire series several times.

I have the same issue with Samurai Champloo, the sister series made by a lot of the same people. I like the series overall, but certain episodes don't do much for me.

Wary Wolf

Sep 10, 2015
I think it's broader appeal is more that it isn't a whole 'to be continued next episode' series. Which in some ways is nice. And the protagonist is not:
One Yahtzee Crowshaw said:
"angsty and ineffectual"
like in many other anime. But rather kick-ass and confident, whilst still being flawed. He's also voiced by Steve Blum who by now probably has more nerd cred than John DiMaggio (another voice actor. Bender? Jake?).

It was an anime that was actually designed to appeal to Western audiences, if my understanding is correct. Hence why it tends to get a lot more love.

I would also say not to push it if you're struggling. Many a story have I read where I decided that there were better things to do than waste any more time with it.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
It's worth finishing, even if it's mostly filler and the ending is rushed. The most interesting atmosphere and best action comes in Pierrot Le Fou I reckon, but no character development there.