DELETED

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
I don't have a cat so I'm good

I just worry about people wasting perfectly good cucumbers

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
Cats don't get pranks, huh? Having had many cats of various temperaments, I call bullshit on that. If you're being a dick about it, then you're just a dick, but pranking your cat in the right circumstance can certainly create a bond. Cats aren't all that smart, but clever and social, that they are in spades.

edit: BTW, the cat in the video is just being a dick! classic lolcat tho.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
I might try that with 2nd Lieutenant Weirzbowski or that asshole Snickers. No way I'd do that with poor tiny Ripley. Snickers gives her enough stress as it is.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
ravenshrike said:
RJ 17 said:
an annoyed writer said:
You know, maybe I'm just being cynical, but I think that a lot more people tried this AFTER they saw this thread, than before it was posted. Sounds a little counter-intuitive if you ask me.
Just to be a jerk in a thread that calls for people to not be jerks, I'll point out that the phrase you're looking for is "counter-productive." :p
Just to out-pedant you,while the posting of the thread was counter-productive, the human instinct to go and do this thing warned against is, while a major facet of human nature, still quite counter-intuitive.
Well if going and doing the thing that's been warned against is part of human nature than it certainly isn't counter-intuitive in the least. Doing something that's counter-intuitive means that it's something that goes against what you'd naturally feel should be done. If anything, the counter-intuitive reaction to this topic would be to, indeed, not frighten your cat with a cucumber considering the usual human reaction when told not to do something is to go ahead and do it.

Beyond that, by the context of "an annoyed writer"s post it made it clear that he was referring to how this topic was having the opposite affect of what was intended: it's making more people want to frighten their cats with cucumbers. As such, the topic is indeed being counter-productive. It's working against its own intended purpose. :p

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
Ok so I just saw this gif and couldn't stop laughing.

I love the internet sometimes.

People aren't saying that folks who do this prank are jerks because cats are super sensitive. It's because of the motive. Its just mean spirited to pull a prank that could scare the shit out of an animal just for your amusement. I don't see why that's a strange thing to comprehend.

Crayven

Plum tickler
Mar 28, 2011
ravenshrike said:
RJ 17 said:
an annoyed writer said:
You know, maybe I'm just being cynical, but I think that a lot more people tried this AFTER they saw this thread, than before it was posted. Sounds a little counter-intuitive if you ask me.
Just to be a jerk in a thread that calls for people to not be jerks, I'll point out that the phrase you're looking for is "counter-productive." :p
Just to out-pedant you,while the posting of the thread was counter-productive, the human instinct to go and do this thing warned against is, while a major facet of human nature, still quite counter-intuitive.
Forgot caring about not being dicks after that video, cats are pricks but so are we

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Coruptin said:
You're triggering the cats guys.
My cat hasn't been himself since he came home from the Great Patriotic War. He drinks too much and screams about Stukas in his sleep.

no but srs. I tried to startle my cats with bananas years ago. They looked rather puzzled, in a sort of "Well, yes? What's this about then? It's yellow and is probably revolting" way. The cucumber didn't interest them in the slightest.

Now, if they were easily startled and had a special need of routine and safety, I wouldn't have tried. I'm mildy annoying them for larks so I can scoop them up and reassure them afterwards, it wouldn't be funny if they couldn't take it.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Don't fuck with other creatures for your amusement. Playing with my cat with a lace she likes to bat at is play for both of us, not abuse. Tickling someone is playing with a person, not abuse. Making your cat jump and filming it is you taking amusement at reactions of great surprise that could be them on edge. COULD, which with no positive to doing so is kinda cruel.