DELETED

NoTroll

Apr 27, 2008
I thought this thread was about how games have prevented you from hooking up with girls. I have to say I am very disappointed.

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
a Wasted Opportunity for me was the Godfather 2, had they made the game Longer, given more areas to take over, it would have been a Superb game for me,

GodsOneMistake

Jan 31, 2009
Army of 2 i just felt they could have done it so much better lets hope army of 2 two will be so much better

3rd rung

Feb 20, 2009
NoTroll said:
I thought this thread was about how games have prevented you from hooking up with girls. I have to say I am very disappointed.
Yea I thought the same thing but game wise I feel like the Geo mod of red faction has been wasted I mean how many years has it bin and there are like to game out that let you control the enviroment but still is fairly limited. I hope the new red faction corrects this or it wll be a waste opp

NoTroll

Apr 27, 2008
Alright, I think that Bad Company was a wasted opportunity because the destroying parts of buildings thing was really cool but the other aspects of gameplay were bland and uninspired.

Damien the Pigeon

Oct 23, 2008
I think that the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise in general is a wasted opportunity. It was a great 2D game, and was at least interesting when it came out in 3D on the Dreamcast. Somewhere along the way, they screwed up, and that's a shame.

BlackIronGuardian

Dec 26, 2008
Spore. I had alot of fun playing that game, and I don't normally enjoy any game that doesn't make me think or let me commit something close to genocide (which on reflection is exactly what Spore let you do but I digress). The RTS parts especially were really cool, what with all the tribal assigning people to different roles and being linearly diplomatic, keeping up with food levels and whatnot. But then I finished the game in a day and quite loudly said ''fuck that'' (which on further hindsight was a bad idea).

Point is, game was fun but way too short.

mr mcshiznit

Apr 10, 2008
Kain and Lynch man...those endings...the gameplay...and all made playable by a pretty good story. game of the year nom. if it would have had any kind of decent graphics and or a worthwhile cover/shoot mechanic.

iggyus

Apr 18, 2009
scobie said:
First time I've started a thread on The Escapist, so be gentle with me.

I like good games, obviously. Bad games are unfortunate, but I forget about them quickly so I'm never really bothered by them. The games that really niggle at me are the ones that felt like wasted opportunities - games with an intriguing concept, or something that was really well executed, that come to naught because of poor execution or because the rest of the game is rubbish. This sort of game is frustrating because it rubs in your face how awesome it could have been. So my question is: what games would you classify as wasted opportunities,
what was promising about them and why did they suck?

The best examples I can think of are Assassin's Creed and Spore. Assassin's Creed had a fantastic control system and a bunch of beautiful environments to leap around on, but left me cold because of its extremely silly storyline and because the actual gameplay required to progress was repetitive and unsatisfying. Spore had an intriguing concept let down by a truly bizarre depiction of evolution and incredibly simplistic and shallow gameplay.

I'm also going to pre-empt the obvious joke by saying that I did not waste the opportunity to use the search button. As far as I can tell this has not been done before. If it has, I apologise.
I'd say it was Wanted: Weapons of Fate. The game was amazing. Storyline cool, gameplay and action slick as hell but it lasted only 4 hours on the hardest difficulty. Huge disappointment.

Cesasse

Apr 18, 2009
My choice is probably Dark Star One. I would have adored that game if it weren't for the titular Dark Star One. I bite my thumb at that ship, sir.

GodsOneMistake said:
Army of 2 i just felt they could have done it so much better lets hope army of 2 two will be so much better
Army Of 2... 2...?
HOW THE HELL CAN THAT BE MARKETED?! Name it "Army of 3"?

GodsOneMistake

Jan 31, 2009
Cesasse said:
My choice is probably Dark Star One. I would have adored that game if it weren't for the titular Dark Star One. I bite my thumb at that ship, sir.

GodsOneMistake said:
Army Of 2... 2...?
Army of 2^2 lol idunno

NoDamnNames

Feb 25, 2009
Legendary. Awesome Premise, Ideas and enemies that were NOT OVER DONE, and great voice acting.

SHITTY game play and choppy graphics.

ohhhh teh wastes!

THEMANWHOIS

Mar 12, 2009
iggyus said:
I'd say it was Wanted: Weapons of Fate. The game was amazing. Storyline cool, gameplay and action slick as hell but it lasted only 4 hours on the hardest difficulty. Huge disappointment.
Yup. Totally agree. I loved that game. Played through it three or four times, got all the achievements, and then traded it in. The quick time events were somewhat innovative, and the gameplay was a lot of fun I thought. They should have charged $40 for it. 4 hours of gameplay is not enough to warrant a $60 price tag.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
GodsOneMistake said:
Cesasse said:

GodsOneMistake said:
Army Of 2... 2...?
Army of 2^2 lol idunno
Army of Two: The 40th Day.

It's a biblical reference.

Cesasse

Apr 18, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
GodsOneMistake said:
Army of 2^2 lol idunno
Army of Two: The 40th Day.

It's a biblical reference.
I'm not sure which is scarier. Biblical reference or Army Of 2^2. Because that's an army undergoing exponential growth rates, and that's scary as fuck.

quack35

Sep 1, 2008
I loved Fallout 3, but they should have done a lot more with the various factions littering the Wasteland.