DELETED

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Thedutchjelle said:
Zhukov said:
Also, it's visually a bit bland. Grey, oh so very grey.
Gray? The game is super yellow to me ~_~
Sacman said:
Yeah I have no idea what he's talking about... the color palette is almost exclusively black and yellow...
Here, have some screenshots.

http://wiiudaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-action-shot-1.jpg

http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2011/08/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Review-Screenshots-1.jpg

http://media1.gameinformer.com/imagefeed/screenshots/DeusExHumanRevolution/DeusExHumanRevolutionMedia/dx_hr_screenshot_hideout_fight.jpg

Yes, there's plenty of yellow highlights in there and a bit of black, but the mid tones are all grey as fuck. It doesn't look like a yellow game to me, it looks like a grey game with a washed-out yellow filter stuck on top.

The black-to-grey-to-yellow colour scheme lasts throughout the entire game. I found it to be visually very monotonous. Like looking at congealed porridge.

For some reason, the cutscenes were a lot more sharp, vibrant and contrasting. I remember always being a bit disappointed when they ended and I was returned to the world of grey.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Absolutely! I was one of the few to have played the original Deus Ex in my group of friends, and when they got their hands on that game they had their minds blown by it in the good way. It's designed as a prequel so you can get nice and deep into the story without knowing a thing about JC Denton and friends.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I certainly did, so go ahead. It's great. From what I've heard there are a lot of references to the others, but I still had no trouble enjoying it.

As for the actual game, excellent design in spades makes up for slightly poor texture quality, choices and lethal/non-lethal don't have any real consequences, and good luck going through without putting points into all the main skills. It allows a degree of customisation, but when it comes to the first playthrough, you're going to go for hacking at least. It's too useful.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Well I haven't played the original or the sequel and I understood MOST of Dues Ex: Human Revolution.

Being a prequel helps a lot and the story is pretty awesome. I was a bit disappointed that it was night-time everywhere but I guess that it kind of needs to be for a stealth game. My favourite part of the game is Upper Henshaa because it is pretty much the only time you see the sun and the upper-class futuristic city is beautiful.

Mauler

Jul 11, 2012
Of course It is a prequel that takes place long time before the ONLEY deus ex soo yeah you can see how the things start... that didn't make sence...

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Yeah it's a prequel, and somewhat different in world design due to... stuff that happens between that and the first game.
The upcoming Deux Ex: The Fall (if that's confirmed as a thing) may fill in some of the gaps.

I also see there's some delusional people that think there's a game set after the original Deus Ex. They are mistaken :)

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
DXHR has some of the best level design of the current gen - several paths through each area depending on stealth preference, and often also multiple aggressive/combat-centric paths to take. Number of viable weapon choices, perks that are more or less useful (except the notorious hacking one that does nothing at all) make playing for the first time a pretty huge adventure. I beat it in normal then went back and did a stealth run on hard, had a blast both times. Definitely a good game.

And yeah, DXHR is a prequel - you don't need to know shit about the other games. Which is good, because playing them in 2013 is painful as fuck.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Zhukov said:
Thedutchjelle said:
Zhukov said:
Gray? The game is super yellow to me ~_~
Sacman said:
Yeah I have no idea what he's talking about... the color palette is almost exclusively black and yellow...
Here, have some screenshots.

http://wiiudaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-action-shot-1.jpg

http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2011/08/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Review-Screenshots-1.jpg

http://media1.gameinformer.com/imagefeed/screenshots/DeusExHumanRevolution/DeusExHumanRevolutionMedia/dx_hr_screenshot_hideout_fight.jpg

Yes, there's plenty of yellow highlights in there and a bit of black, but the mid tones are all grey as fuck. It doesn't look like a yellow game to me, it looks like a grey game with a washed-out yellow filter stuck on top.

The black-to-grey-to-yellow colour scheme lasts throughout the entire game. I found it to be visually very monotonous. Like looking at congealed porridge.

For some reason, the cutscenes were a lot more sharp, vibrant and contrasting. I remember always being a bit disappointed when they ended and I was returned to the world of grey.
I guess our tastes are different then.. I thought the game looked gorgeous, not "realistic" but in it's own style. Hengsha especially was beyond amazing, both the Lower and Upper.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
Yes you can. I did.

I went back and played the original because I loved HR so much. you only miss a few throw backs, and they are more like fan service

It is an amazing game. In my top 5. You must play it NOW

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
Go ahead and play Human Revolution first. It's chronologically the first game, anyway. If you play the original Deus Ex afterwards, you'll get to see how the various little things you spotted along the way in Human Revolution have turned out. Likewise for Invisible War, which is a poor sequel, but an okay game on its own.

Jun 11, 2009
It was basically designed to be played from that viewpoint, so yeah. You should be fine. That's what I did and I enjoyed it immensely.

Also, there was only one other Deus Ex game. Invisible War never happened and we don't talk about it.

Zhukov said:
Did . . . did you . . . did you actually play Human Revolution? The game's colour palette is almost entirely black and gold, with grey accents and the like. All those colours are there in at least equal measure, to say nothing of other colours like blue, green, and red.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
DX:HR is possibly the least grey game I can think of that has a realistic style...

The new black gold.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/miracle-of-sound/4759-The-New-Black-Gold-Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Well I've never played the others (yes, yes I know its one of those classic games that 'everyone should play'.) and understood what was going on fine although I suspect I missed a lot of references so you don't need to play the others. It's a prequel anyway.

As for whether its good yeah, I rather like it. Nice aesthetic, best persuasion system I've ever seen in a game, combat and stealth isn't mind blowing but its alright. Level are a good size so you can take multiple routes and approaches (though you likely end up exploring everywhere anyway). People complain about the boss fights but I didn't think they were that bad even though I never upgrade combat stuff until I had everything else I want. Usually the tools you need to take out the boss are in the room with them. Plots pretty good ignoring a few hurr durr moments. Character are likable enough though I'm a weird person who actually likes Pritchard even though he's a complete dick.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Professor Lupin Madblood said:
Zhukov said:
Did . . . did you . . . did you actually play Human Revolution? The game's colour palette is almost entirely black and gold, with grey accents and the like. All those colours are there in at least equal measure, to say nothing of other colours like blue, green, and red.
See post #21 of this thread, first page.

The game is grey as fuck. Yes, there's a lot of yellow in there too, but it's a rather drab, greyish kind of yellow. Besides, yellow and grey is a really ugly combination.

Believe me, I wish that wasn't the case. I rather liked the game and wish it wasn't such a monotony to look at.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Zhukov said:
As for the game itself... it's alright. Cool setting. Does a decent job making different approaches viable. (Although like most such games, the ability to gun down anyone in your way does make the stealth somewhat irrelevant.) Basically fun to play.
Human Revolution is the only game I've ever played where after failing to gun down everyone three or four times I've resorted to a stealth option. Usually it's the other way around.

OT: Go for it, I played it with very little knowledge of the originals and I really enjoyed it. Yes Jensen is constantly doing Batman impressions, and yes he can't speak without crossing his arms, and yes he has an absurdly pointy chin, but it's a fun game that makes you forget all of that. Though why it didn't have a New Game+ mode I'll never know, it just seems like the sort of game that was made for it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Zantos said:
Zhukov said:
As for the game itself... it's alright. Cool setting. Does a decent job making different approaches viable. (Although like most such games, the ability to gun down anyone in your way does make the stealth somewhat irrelevant.) Basically fun to play.
Human Revolution is the only game I've ever played where after failing to gun down everyone three or four times I've resorted to a stealth option.
Really?

For me it was a case of whenever I got sick of being a sneaky almost-pacifist I'd drop a quicksave, pull out my revolver and grenades and charge through the whole level massacring everything in sight. It was a cinch, even on the tough difficulty with all my skill points in hacking and mobility.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Zhukov said:
Zantos said:
Zhukov said:
Human Revolution is the only game I've ever played where after failing to gun down everyone three or four times I've resorted to a stealth option.
Really?

For me it was a case of whenever I got sick of being a sneaky almost-pacifist I'd drop a quicksave, pull out my revolver and grenades and charge through the whole level massacring everything in sight. It was a cinch, even on the tough difficulty with all my skill points in hacking and mobility.
I was playing the more "psychopath assassin" type, though somehow had failed to max out the armour. So although I was happily killing everything, the moment I actually got spotted I'd get shot. I pulled it back most of the time, but if there was a room next door with lots of guards I'd just be all "Sod it, sneaky sneaky, I'll come back to murder you later."

Thankfully, I decided to put some points in hacking and just got robots to do the job for me. Good times.