DELETED

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
To The Moon: A beautiful game that lasts only about an hour, but is pack with amazing story

Inside: Took me about 45 min to beat it, but i was impressed with the art style

Limbo: Again, less that 1 hour, by same guys who made Inside. Black and White art is very pretty

Any TellTale Game episodes: I am talking about a single episode, not the whole five episodes of each series. Each of the several episodes will take around 2 hours to complete, and there are so many branching decisions that effect the outcome of the next episode

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I'd say Rogue Legacy. I play a life or two (or 5) and then stop. Though it is really a continuous game, unlike FTL, but its easy to come back to whenever.

Barony, if you want a Rogue-Like, not a Rogue-Lite.

Counter-Strike Source if you want a competitive shooter you can drop in and out of at will.

Binding of Isaac. Yeah, another Rogue-Like, but well, you did use FTL as your example.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
Tharsis & Papers, Please spring immediately to mind. Both are great fun, although Tharsis can be frustrating at times.

Nedoras

Jan 8, 2010
I'd recommend Ziggurat. It's a fantasy themed, fps, rogue-lite of sorts. You play as an apprentice wizard making your way through the "Ziggurat", which is a five stage dungeon filled with all manner of traps and monsters. As I said it's a first person shooter but you're using wands, staves, spells, and all manner of magical weapons which makes it feel a bit fresh and distinct. You could compare it to something like Hexen I suppose. There's a lot of unlockable characters, weapons, items, and perks so the replay-ability is there. A full run can take anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half to finish.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
Insurgency, the rounds are short and you have a good variety of PVP and PVE.
Actually due to how high stress the game is you will feel like you had a day of play after 3 hours, I say this as a compliment to the game.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
You're probably already aware but roguelikes/roguelites are a great fit for your criteria.

Already mentioned but The Binding of Isaac is my go to for that type of game. I've been playing it since the release of the flash version in 2011 (hard to believe it's that old) and I'm still not bored. Each run takes around 30-60 minutes.

If you like 2D platformers check out Rogue Legacy, Spelunky, and Risk of Rain.

Yahtzee Croshaw's game The Consuming Shadow draws inspiration from FTL (mainly in terms of managing your resources and jumping from one node to the next and dealing with various encounters). It has a Lovecraftian horror theme. It's been a while since I've played it but I think it takes about an hour to get through (less if you die, of course). Graphics are kind of shit but I don't think it really detracts from the game.

Another option would be games with a focus on score attacking (twin stick or scrolling shooters are the first things that spring to mind but I'm sure there are other genres too). I'm currently enjoying Assault Android Cactus and Super Mutant Alien Assault. The Geometry Wars series is easy to recommend if you're into that kind of thing.

Then there is multiplayer of course, I don't really have much to contribute there.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
BroFroce, obviously. Bro is up with some Bros while the bad bros get broed up by the broest of the bro bros.

And Fallout 4. Its basically just Broforce with a fancier set dressing. Just run around broing everybro you meet in the face with a broed out double-barreled bro.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Enter the Gundgeon, roguelike, one if the classier ones.

Just Cause 3. Go in, fuck about, experiment, have fun, leave.

Steamworld Dig. Not sure it counts as a roguelike, it feels like one but it has a definite structure. Though haven't tried the newer Steamworld Heist which looks pretty good, if a somewhat completely different genre.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Letter Quest. A fun addictive word based game with Rpg elements.

I second rogue legacy. It's a really fun game.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I have to echo previous recommendations for Rogue Legacy. It's my go-to game for passing the time on my PS4 while waiting for downloads and updates to finish. Roguelikes and roguelites in general are good for bite-sized entertainment. Desktop Dungeons, Through, Death Road to Canada, Crypt of the Necrodancer...they're all great in their own right.

Overwatch tends to have relatively short rounds, usually lasting from five to fifteen minutes depending on the teams. The Killing Floor games have the option to pick "Short" rounds of four waves that take around fifteen minutes to finish on Normal (shorter if you're playing with skilled teammates that have high level perks).

Mobile games tend to be tailor made for short play sessions, though you have to dig through tons of exploitative F2P crap to find the gems. I recommend Pixel Dungeon, Hoplite, Nanaca Crash!!, Godville, Crash Dive and Progress Quest.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
If you have a 3DS, I recommend Fairune aand Fairune 2.

On pc I'd recommend Mermaid Swamp, You Have to Win the Game, and Treasure Adventure Game.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I'm surprised no one mentioned Rocket League. Five minute matches of addictive rocket car football fun, with a ton of stuff to unlock and a load of modes for you to play in. The developers (I forget who they are) constantly add new stuff to the game. Yeah, you will be rubbish at it to begin with, I still am, but I manage to hold my own most of the time.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Some older RTS games like the OG StarCraft and C&C games are like that.

Play a quick map, leave.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Shadow Warrior 2 has side missions that can be completed in between 10 to 30 minutes. Even the story missions can be seen as bite sized missions. Its my go to game for "play while listening to podcast FPS" that used to occupy with Borderland games.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
Some great games have been listed along the lines of The Bindiing of Isaac, Enter the Gungeon, and even MGSV.

In terms of bite size roguelikes though, the one that I like the most at the moment is Nuclear Throne. The weapons drops are plentiful (much more so than Enter the Gungeon), have an amazing variety, large choice of playable characters to unlock (each with their own abilities), and it plays super tight. In terms of bite size dynamic action, you'd be hard pressed to find anything better. Having popped my cherry on action roguelikes like Binding of Isaac and Enter the Guungeon, this one is the best *imo*.