Demonization of Moviebob and other Escapist Staff

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
Aaaaan, there it is, enjoy. Bob is unstable, someone should keep him off the keyboard when needed,

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/502038039968112640

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
Zeconte said:
So, firebobm asked for evidence of Bob attacking boogie, and you provide a tweet of Bob lashing out against the people who lead a harassment campaign against Zoe Quinn? So, what you're saying is that boogie was part of the group of people harassing, slut shaming and otherwise victimizing Zoe Quinn and that's why he was attacked? Or did you just somehow not understand a perfectly clear and simple request?
Well, I'm u dumb-ass, who really employed "diagonal reading" to get through tons of craps that goes on. Fair enough, I'm an asshat for not reading properly!

Velventian

Left here for the world to see
May 17, 2013
Personally i think moviebob has just lost perspective, about jim sterling i´m not sure. He switches from acting like his position in this thing is like walking on a rope and the next moment he deals jabs at gamergate and tries to weigh them by saying something like "yeah i know the other side is not solely good either".
But i feel like for jim its almost the bigger failing since he always acts like "the voice for the consumer" and in that regard he clearly abandoned the field. in terms of sides this can discussed but one the things this will come down to that its consumer vs journalists. So while he may not have taken up their side he defiantly abandoned ours.

HannibalSmith

Sep 6, 2014
my favorite bit was when he agreed with devin hobo that gamers are worse than terrorists and then literally pitched a terrorist tactic in shutting down steam for anita's fake police report.

Nion

Dec 13, 2011
Complete list of decent human beings who think describing categories of people as subhuman vermin is ok:

-

EpicMike7

Oct 11, 2010
I'm a bit disappointed in Jim for deciding he'd rather stand with proud bigots like Samantha Allen, malicious bullies like Leigh Alexander or hateful rage-trolls like Devin Faraci but at the end of the day, one side can post angry comments about him on twitter, the other can effectively ruin his career. Jim is not a bad person, just a coward.

What's that you say? How dare I refer to these people as such vile terms without any proof?

Here's Samantha Allen proudly wearing the mantle of a misandrist: http://archive.today/bcmnF

Here's Leigh Alexander threatening an aspiring game developer by using her status in journalism to crush his career: https://twitter.com/Jackson4Action/status/508094969811193856/photo/1

Here's Devin Faraci referring to people who have the audacity to disagree with him as "worse than ISIS": http://imgur.com/a/j8P3l

Fine company indeed Jim.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
EpicMike7 said:
Here's Leigh Alexander threatening an aspiring game developer by using her status in journalism to crush his career: https://twitter.com/Jackson4Action/status/508094969811193856/photo/1
*checks that link*

be careful with me. I am a megaphone, I am much less kind than Rami and won't mind making an example out of you
Woah, that's seriously scary. It doesn't sound much different from what you'd hear a gangster say while (s)he's shaking victims down.

I bet some people will tell me that it's ''taken out of context'', but I don't see how the above can be construed as anything other than a threat in any context.

firebobm173

Jul 11, 2013
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
EpicMike7 said:
*checks that link*

be careful with me. I am a megaphone, I am much less kind than Rami and won't mind making an example out of you
Woah, that's seriously scary. It doesn't sound much different from what you'd hear a gangster say while (s)he's shaking victims down.

I bet some people will tell me that it's ''taken out of context'', but I don't see how the above can be construed as anything other than a threat in any context.
Like a gangster? Seriously? She's threatening to use social media against him, not break his knees. We have no idea what this guy has said and all she's doing is saying she'll give him bad press. The things she'll do to make an example out of him is just give press to things he'd already put up on social media. Honestly what she was saying isn't nearly as bad as a lot of what's come from your side. Oh and BTW, being a small developer does not automatically make you the good guy. Also, being an aspiring game dev doesn't automatically make you the good guy. Seriously, if somebody on your side said that you'd be cheering him on. Whenever you go after somebody it's "exposing corruption", but whenever we criticize somebody on your side it's bullying. It's completely hypocritical. I mean you guys are siding with fucking Breitbart for fuck's sake.

Oh and I also love how you're attacking her instead of her criticisms of you. Even if she was as bad as you say she is that wouldn't mean she's wrong.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
firebobm173 said:
Like a gangster? Seriously? She's threatening to use social media against him, not break his knees. We have no idea what this guy has said and all she's doing is saying she'll give him bad press. The things she'll do to make an example out of him is just give press to things he'd already put up on social media. Honestly what she was saying isn't nearly as bad as a lot of what's come from your side. Oh and BTW, being a small developer does not automatically make you the good guy. Also, being an aspiring game dev doesn't automatically make you the good guy. Seriously, if somebody on your side said that you'd be cheering him on. Whenever you go after somebody it's "exposing corruption", but whenever we criticize somebody on your side it's bullying. It's completely hypocritical. I mean you guys are siding with fucking Breitbart for fuck's sake.

Oh and I also love how you're attacking her instead of her criticisms of you. Even if she was as bad as you say she is that wouldn't mean she's wrong.
1) So what's she right about then? That it's okay to threaten a man's livelihood because he disagrees that sexism is an issue in gaming? Is that what you're saying? Cuz it sounds awfully like it.

2) Nobody said anything about the guy she threatened. Only that she threatened his job over a disagreement. When did him being a "good" or "bad" person ever enter the equation?

Is it okay to threaten "bad" people now?

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Agayek said:
1) So what's she right about then? That it's okay to threaten a man's livelihood because he disagrees that sexism is an issue in gaming? Is that what you're saying? Cuz it sounds awfully like it.

2) Nobody said anything about the guy she threatened. Only that she threatened his job over a disagreement. When did him being a "good" or "bad" person ever enter the equation?

Is it okay to threaten "bad" people now?
Can you imagine the rolls reversed?

A male journalist saying this to a women who thinks sexism is an issue in the industry.

The cries of sexism would hit the mainstream press!

GreenSkin99

Sep 13, 2013
Moviebob doesn't need to be fired.

Reason being is because if he continues to act the way he does (as he has for years now) he can expect his viewership to drop off continually until there is no longer any reason to employ him.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Velventian said:
But i feel like for jim its almost the bigger failing since he always acts like "the voice for the consumer" and in that regard he clearly abandoned the field. in terms of sides this can discussed but one the things this will come down to that its consumer vs journalists. So while he may not have taken up their side he defiantly abandoned ours.
My own personal experience with the #GamerGate issues out in the wild, so do with it what you will.

Pretty much everyone I know younger than me is a gamer. Every time I've broached the subject with one of them, almost none of them had a clue this was going on. One guy kind of sort of knew about it, but only because a friend of his had tried to explain it. He still doesn't have a clue. I've yet to encounter one of them which knows anything about Depression Quest and all of its spin-off controversies. Most of them know about Sarkeesian, but few could be bothered to watch a video, much less have an opinion about it. A couple are of the opinion that this is pretty mild feminist stuff and are sickened by the reaction they heard about (for purposes of this discussion, I don't care if these accusations are true or not, this is their reaction presented without judgment).

So basically, almost no one gives a fuck. They've never heard the term Social Justice Warrior before (I had to explain it to everyone), #GamerGate is pretty much a mystery to them, even the ones who have heard of it. Sarkeesian is largely just a name they've heard about, but they honestly don't know what the big deal is supposed to be.

Anyway, point being, the people who put hands to keyboard to post on message boards are a tiny minority of the consumer. We are the 1%, the other 99% don't care.... no, not even after you explain it to them, because they just want to play games and they almost never notice the "politics" of it.

So even if Jim Sterling is 100% wrong about this issue, it really means fuck-all to the great bulk of consumers.

Yes, this is an assumption. Everything I wrote here in anecdotal and full of supposition. Call bullshit on it if you like.

But if that assumption is true, then whatever side he positions himself on really means nothing to his reputation as a protector of the consumer. Just to the two tiny armies locked in mortal combat with each other, while issues of Day One DLC, Review Embargoes, and so on do affect the average consumer much more. To them, this is just a weird little flame-war they want no part of.

firebobm173

Jul 11, 2013
Netrigan said:
Velventian said:
My own personal experience with the #GamerGate issues out in the wild, so do with it what you will.

Pretty much everyone I know younger than me is a gamer. Every time I've broached the subject with one of them, almost none of them had a clue this was going on. One guy kind of sort of knew about it, but only because a friend of his had tried to explain it. He still doesn't have a clue. I've yet to encounter one of them which knows anything about Depression Quest and all of its spin-off controversies. Most of them know about Sarkeesian, but few could be bothered to watch a video, much less have an opinion about it. A couple are of the opinion that this is pretty mild feminist stuff and are sickened by the reaction they heard about (for purposes of this discussion, I don't care if these accusations are true or not, this is their reaction presented without judgment).

So basically, almost no one gives a fuck. They've never heard the term Social Justice Warrior before (I had to explain it to everyone), #GamerGate is pretty much a mystery to them, even the ones who have heard of it. Sarkeesian is largely just a name they've heard about, but they honestly don't know what the big deal is supposed to be.

Anyway, point being, the people who put hands to keyboard to post on message boards are a tiny minority of the consumer. We are the 1%, the other 99% don't care.... no, not even after you explain it to them, because they just want to play games and they almost never notice the "politics" of it.

So even if Jim Sterling is 100% wrong about this issue, it really means fuck-all to the great bulk of consumers.

Yes, this is an assumption. Everything I wrote here in anecdotal and full of supposition. Call bullshit on it if you like.

But if that assumption is true, then whatever side he positions himself on really means nothing to his reputation as a protector of the consumer. Just to the two tiny armies locked in mortal combat with each other, while issues of Day One DLC, Review Embargoes, and so on do affect the average consumer much more. To them, this is just a weird little flame-war they want no part of.
That's what I figured. These people think they're the "silent majority", and I doubt there has been a single group of people who thought that that really were a majority. These people think they're the victims of a vast conspiracy by the feminist illuminati. I wish I was kidding but take a look at this [https://twitter.com/Escapist_TXT] and you'll see just how bad it is. Every single tweet there is taken from the escapist forums and you can find the original source by copying the text and adding escapistmagazine.com to your search. It's downright disturbing that these people have convinced themselves of all this. Oh and it's worth mentioning that the escapist forums community is ridiculously small [https://twitter.com/GreyTheTick/status/508748945372098561](that account belongs to the guy who writes Critical Miss btw), especially considering the amount of noise it generates. The "silent majority" here is just 400 people!

Velventian

May 17, 2013
Netrigan said:
I have to agree with you on many points. I think they have it backwards. I´mean the next sentence as little degrading as possible. But their declared mortal enemy the hordes of 12-20 year old CoD, battelfield, fifa fans, they don´t give a flying fuck about this whole thing, they don´t even know about it. But they also don´t check gaming sites for news or policies. I know how i was that age, i really only care about the games. Its only when you grow up with a medium and see it age with you that you get deeper interest in it an actually see the pattern an cracks emerge.
I think the majority of gamergate is well around(over) 30 who played games their whole life.
And its also that, we know we are just a small group of the mass, but so is the other side.
The big question here how have they already affected video games in the last few years and how are they going to affect them if they continue unhindered.
The real necessity/usefulness of gamergate will/would only be revealed if we loose and then take a look back 5 years from now to if it didn't matter or they should have been stopped.
But like someone already said, lets put 2009 moviebob and current moviebob in a room and lets see what happens.
Sure people change over time, but bob and to a lesser degree jim have changed very strongly in the last few years in a way that fits the sjw.
And if jim is even half as smart as he claims to be he should know that those 80% blind consumers will never roar, at best they will just stop playing games and we will have another big games crash. So jim at least would have to listen gamergate more closely just to make sure. He might be in the right now with his very distanced pseudo neutral position but if this thing turns sour he will have utterly failed his audience.

Velventian

May 17, 2013
firebobm173 said:
That's what I figured. These people think they're the "silent majority", and I doubt there has been a single group of people who thought that that really were a majority. These people think they're the victims of a vast conspiracy by the feminist illuminati. I wish I was kidding but take a look at this [https://twitter.com/Escapist_TXT] and you'll see just how bad it is. Every single tweet there is taken from the escapist forums and you can find the original source by copying the text and adding escapistmagazine.com to your search. It's downright disturbing that these people have convinced themselves of all this. Oh and it's worth mentioning that the escapist forums community is ridiculously small [https://twitter.com/GreyTheTick/status/508748945372098561](that account belongs to the guy who writes Critical Miss btw), especially considering the amount of noise it generates. The "silent majority" here is just 400 people!
Funny number seem to count when it fits the narrative but at all other times they may be Egyptian hieroglyphs. Guess what the number of people who send those horrible harassmets all around the world probably doesn´t even reach quadruple digits. A few hundred people around the world are being used to slander the name of millions of gamers around the world. But when we are several hundred in only one thread in one forum of one of dozens sites suddenly we are so few how dare we act like we speak for the masses...
Gamegate is not the majority, sure but those 80% sure as hell aren´t on the other side either, they are the true neutral and they will never choose a side since they don´t even know the conflict exists.
So either you admit that those very very few who harass other represent nothing within the gaming community or you stop stating that gamergate is too small to speak for anyone.

firebobm173

Jul 11, 2013
Velventian said:
firebobm173 said:
Funny number seem to count when it fits the narrative but at all other times they may be Egyptian hieroglyphs. Guess what the number of people who send those horrible harassmets all around the world probably doesn´t even reach quadruple digits. A few hundred people around the world are being used to slander the name of millions of gamers around the world. But when we are several hundred in only one thread in one forum of one of dozens sites suddenly we are so few how dare we act like we speak for the masses...
Gamegate is not the majority, sure but those 80% sure as hell aren´t on the other side either, they are the true neutral and they will never choose a side since they don´t even know the conflict exists.
So either you admit that those very very few who harass other represent nothing within the gaming community or you stop stating that gamergate is too small to speak for anyone.
I'm not gonna admit either of those things. The vast majority of the gaming press and developers are on our side and at least as many gamers are on our side as yours. And btw every single time this has been covered in non gaming press (seriously though, how fucked up is it that you guys harassed people to the point where the friggin Washington Post and the New Yorker talk about it?!) you've come across as the bad guys, while all you've got are lunatic youtube channels, obscure blogs and David Aurini. As for saying you're harassers, while not all of you are, there is enough going on that the main output of your movement has been harassment against women in gaming. And then you ***** about it when we that your movement get accused of anything, if you don't just go straight for blaming the victim. You don't get to say your hands are clean when the guy next to you is spamming nudes of Zoe Quinn.