Demon's Souls Going Offline???

Santos50

Apr 27, 2010
I heard from a friend that the Demon's Souls online servers would be shut down as early as Feb 2011.

Is this true????

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Is there a link to this rumor?
Edit http://thesilentchief.com/2010/07/21/demons-souls-going-offline-march-2011/
Well...here's one.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/07/demons-souls-servers/
It's actually the opposite, they're reluctant to keep'em running at least until March 2011.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
It is not true. After googling the question, I learned that they plan to maintain the servers until at least March 2011

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
JourneyThroughHell said:
Aura Guardian said:
It's actually the opposite, they're reluctant to keep'em running at least until March 2011.
Guess my edit was too slow. Thanks anyway.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
No. They said they would run them until about March I think?

Which actually means they're more likely to keep them up, since all other companies can pull their servers at any time without notice. This means they'll definitely keep them that long.

It's more of a reassurance than a warning apparently.

EDIT:
Sleekgiant said:
B.o.B.'s Magic [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5UxuCJGylE] goes hilariously with your avatar

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
Aura Guardian said:
Guess my edit was too slow. Thanks anyway.
Nah, it probably wasn't, I just saw the post and decided to provide you with info, it took me a good two minutes and it didn't refresh the page.
Also, I figured I forgot the OT:
The servers are not that useful anyway and you can always enjoy the game as much offline, as far as I remember.
It's really nice of them to keep them up because they must be quite the nuisance.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
What's the benefit of being online really? Does it affect the game in any significant way?

AMMO Kid

Jan 2, 2009
If it is I hope that it's because they are making a new and improved DS2 that everyone will love even more.

Gulzt

May 4, 2009
I wouldn't mind playing it another run offline. The game is a bit scarier that way :)

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
reg42 said:
What's the benefit of being online really? Does it affect the game in any significant way?
A large portion of the game involves being able to summon temporary assistance into your game in the form of other players, fending off hostile players that attempt to invade your game, and reading messages left by other players that contain warnings and hints about what's to come.

It's a Hell of a lot to lose.

Edit: Also, players will no longer be able to return to their corporeal form any way other than killing a boss (good luck at half health while ghosted) or using one of the limited availability items.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
RollForInitiative said:
reg42 said:
A large portion of the game involves being able to summon temporary assistance into your game in the form of other players, fending off hostile players that attempt to invade your game, and reading messages left by other players that contain warnings and hints about what's to come.

Edit: Also, players will no longer be able to return to their corporeal form any way other than killing a boss (good luck at half health while ghosted) or using one of the limited availability items.
That does sound like a lot... I don't suppose you could just solo the entire game?

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
They're probably not generating much income from people buying the game new anymore; keeping the servers up for much longer would be too much of a drain. Since it's not a subscription game, I'm not surprised.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
reg42 said:
That does sound like a lot... I don't suppose you could just solo the entire game?
You could, it would just be rather difficult, particularly on subsequent playthroughs where the difficulty increases exponentially.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
reg42 said:
RollForInitiative said:
reg42 said:

You can. I never had to summon help.

The best part is if you finish the game with the bad ending you can ask people to duel you.