Demon's Souls Inspires Next Gears of War

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
My interest in the next Gears of War has now gone up a notch. That put's it at notch one. But after how much Gears of War 3 disappointed me, CliffyB is going to have to pull something incredible out his arse to make me buy this one.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Ehh. There's a difference between a game being hard and a game being enjoyably hard. I don't see how a modern shooter could manage to be the latter. But we'll have to see.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
Already excited for this game, even before this.

I'm glad they're moving closer to E-Day now, and that could explain a spike in difficulty. The game almost has to be ballbreaking hard to fit with canon. Makes me wonder how big the fights are going to get.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
But, the fun of Dark Souls isn't that it's difficult, it's the way that you are forced to handle every situation with thought. Every enemy placement is important in that game, in my mind it's the true sequel to the original Castlevania. If they're just going to ramp up the difficulty like most shooters, by lowering health and increasing enemy accuracy, this will in no way be fun. Also, Gears is very focused on co-op, and usually co-op games are pretty forgiving due to bad teammates or bad AI, I very much doubt they'll be able to balance that. I have a feeling that this will fail, but it's a nice concept and I hope they'll succeed.

Karloff said:
Gears of War: Judgement Gears of War: Judgement, Judgement
Gears of War: Judgement is due in 2013.
Since Gears is an American game, it's spelled Gears of War: Judgment. At least according to the E3 reveal.

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
GeorgW said:
But, the fun of Dark Souls isn't that it's difficult, it's the way that you are forced to handle every situation with thought. Every enemy placement is important in that game, in my mind it's the true sequel to the original Castlevania. If they're just going to ramp up the difficulty like most shooters, by lowering health and increasing enemy accuracy, this will in no way be fun. Also, Gears is very focused on co-op, and usually co-op games are pretty forgiving due to bad teammates or bad AI, I very much doubt they'll be able to balance that. I have a feeling that this will fail, but it's a nice concept and I hope they'll succeed.
I mostly agree with this, but Dark Souls/Demon's Souls are no stranger to co-op (indeed, *if* you get it working, a semi-competent ally greatly eases the difficulty of most bosses.) Maybe Gears of War will manage to make the matchmaking not a pure crapshoot, which would be a good change.

Demon's Souls/Dark Souls have a number of parts about them that make the difficulty (mostly) a good thing. Their game mechanics encourage a wide variety of character builds which is something that few games do well, and the difficulty makes those choices meaningful. Most FPSes don't have nearly as many distinct viable options especially not when spells get into the picture. The DSes also are not random and almost each death is because you didn't avoid it, not because an enemy got a crit or a headshot. You can dodge or avoid any attack or hazard once you learn how to, and each enemy placement never changes. FPSes, though, tend to have enemies with guns getting damage on you which you can't avoid and/or which the damage depends on how unlucky you are. Dying from that type of damage is more frustrating to a player than dying from he himself screwing up.

The DSes were not great games because they were hard. They were not great games because the difficulty was fair (see the archers at Anor Londo, the mimics of Sen's Fortress, or the actions of Yurt.) They were great games because they gave you the tools to overcome any challenge after the first time you encountered it, and the difficulty forced you to think about it. It was your own damn fault if you screwed it up after your first play. FPSes... are rarely as well designed. (To be honest, few games are, not just FPSes.)

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Increasing the difficulty of a game can be tricky, especially if that game is known for it's co-op, like Gears of War is. You want your game to be accessible to as many people as possible, but you also don't want to alienate the hardcore gamers. But Demon's Souls is about more than just simple difficulty - it's the sort of thing a third person shooter will be hard pressed to emulate.

But seriously, if you want a tough Gears of War experience, play the teeth-pulling-like madness that is the final battle of Gears 3 on Insanity. I was pulling my hair out on that one. It seriously pissed me off. So if he wants to make an entire game like that, best of luck to them. I won't want to play it.