Demon's Souls

TobintheGnome

Jun 3, 2010
I'm a Demon's Souls newbie and have a question about the Purple Flame Shield (PFS) & Level 1-1.

Soldier. Soul Level: 26ish. Long Sword+3. Winged Spear+4. Knight's Shield. Completed 1-1. Played: 1-2, 2-1, 4-1.

I've read that in level 1-1 it is possible to lure the red dragon out of its nest and attack the bridge - thus providing you an opportunity to run in and grab the PFS.

The first time I played through 1-1 the dragon attacked the bridge per usual. After reading about the technique for grabbing the PFS described above I've gone back to the bridge in an attempt to draw out the dragon. I've yet to be successful. I'm not wearing the Thief's Ring.

What do I need to do to draw out the dragon? The PFS would be particularly useful on 2-1.

Thanks!

cdb73

Sep 23, 2009
Not sure what to do to lure it out after the first time. I'm pretty sure you can reach the PFS without dying horribly due to fire. After that just level up to spend all your souls and then throw yourself into the flames trying to get some more treasure. Seriously, I did it and it works up until a point.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Hm well one option, which I did on my first play, was to put on the lightest stuff and whatever anti flame gear/spells you may have... then RUN AND ROLL!!! It's fun. lol.

As for luring it away, I'm really trying to remember. I think you just need to time it right. If you run up to the bridge and look left, you'll see the dragon flying around to start the attack run. If you leave the bridge too early, it'll just turn around and land. If you wait too long, it'll have time to finish the attack and return to land... so basically just keep trying. You need to stand just a little bit beyond the top of the steps at the front of the bridge.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
The red knight guarding the Mausoleum in 1-1 can also drop the PFS. Or Pure White World Tendency makes both dragons vanish for easy pickings.

I would have thought to raid the nest when it is attacking the bridge you might need a lot of stamina to be able to sprint down there. Remember you don't have to make it back out. There is a lot of stuff down there other than the PFS though so may take a few runs.

The moment it starts to breathe fire on the bridge it is locked into flaming the whole of the bridge. If you leave before then it will head back to the nest.

Not tried it myself, good luck.

I don't personally think the PFS is that good however. Useful against Flamelurker depending on your character.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
The PFS is possibly the best shield in the game. No, best Large shield in the game. Granted the Tower Shield beats it hands down for stats, however, 30 weight is pretty ridiculous. My SL133 character can use it no problem (I think End is at 46) but I mean, it takes a long time to get there. Although I started using the Knight Shield with Crushing Knight Sword and I must say it's really fun to parry and stab.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Wow, all this talk about Demons Souls, realllly makes me want to buy a PS3.

But anyway here's my two cents: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/

That link has a lot of answers to a lot of questions.

TobintheGnome

Jun 3, 2010
That's the thing. I don't see him flying around at all when I get to the bridge.

Do you have to approach the bridge (for the first time) from the dragon side (facing the soldiers on the bridge head on)? I'm currently using the shortcut from the main entrance which places me behind the soldiers.

I'd like to use the Knight Sword, but I've not found it yet.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
TobintheGnome said:
That's the thing. I don't see him flying around at all when I get to the bridge.

Do you have to approach the bridge (for the first time) from the dragon side (facing the soldiers on the bridge head on)? I'm currently using the shortcut from the main entrance which places me behind the soldiers.

Yes, of course you have to be on the dragon side... how else would you make it back to the spot where the PFS is? If you're on the back side, you can walk out and fight the first group on the bridge, and the dragon should come at you once you're far enough on the bridge. Then you gotta high tail it back, let the dragon kill everyone on the bridge, then run across and wait for him to do it again, and then sprint to his resting spot to pick up the shield.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Wolfram01 said:
The PFS is possibly the best shield in the game. No, best Large shield in the game. Granted the Tower Shield beats it hands down for stats, however, 30 weight is pretty ridiculous. My SL133 character can use it no problem (I think End is at 46) but I mean, it takes a long time to get there. Although I started using the Knight Shield with Crushing Knight Sword and I must say it's really fun to parry and stab.
Yeah the Tower shield is a monster weight and 30 strength requirement. And my reasons for not liking the PFS mainly come from my dislike of pumping strength too much, I tend to play other types of characters. Notably though the Steel Shield has the same physical defences as the PFS but only takes 18 strength to wield correctly. Loses out on fire resistance though and a bit of magic resistance. Same Hit Resistance though.

It all depends on what you need a shield for.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Uh, well, you can just go grab it and take teh deaths in stride. Or do like I did and buy `1000 arrows, invest an hour and a half of my life and kill the damn dragon.
Tallim said:
It all depends on what you need a shield for.
OP says he's playing 2-1. Remember the flame spider? At level 26 PFS is his only chance. After that, Flame Lurker.......*shivers from bad memories*

My favorite combo for dealing with fire shooting anything is water veil+ring of flame resistance. Even dragon breath starts to look weak.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
TobintheGnome said:

A good thing to do is get naked. No, seriously. My second time getting the PFS, all I had to do was get naked, and get ready to run as fast as I could. But for this to work you need impeccable timing. Even if you can't see the dragon coming, you should be able to judge based on how loud the wingbeats are. If you want to do this, you have to be on the opposite side of the bridge where the dragon comes down from, like when you first had to go across. As soon as it's setting down above the bridge, run like hell. Being naked should give you the extra speed boost you need to get the stuff. Though, I'm pretty sure the PFS is under the other dragon that swings his tail......well, good luck with that.

TobintheGnome

Jun 3, 2010
I don't think I'm being understood. As soon as I get to the bridge I walk out onto it and start killing guys. The dragon never shows up. I can stand in the middle, beginning or end of the thing for a half hour and he never comes out to play.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
The Austin said:
Wow, all this talk about Demons Souls, realllly makes me want to buy a PS3.

But anyway here's my two cents: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/

That link has a lot of answers to a lot of questions.
Demon's Souls is a great game. :) beat it twice and almost a third time.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
TobintheGnome said:
I don't think I'm being understood. As soon as I get to the bridge I walk out onto it and start killing guys. The dragon never shows up. I can stand in the middle, beginning or end of the thing for a half hour and he never comes out to play.
You haven't got Pure White World Tendency have you? As that makes both dragons disappear and you can just go down to the nest. If your playing online your tendency drifts towards the server median which is usually more white than neutral. Killing Phalanx and Tower Knight might push it to Pure White.
Just reread the OP and it sounds like you haven't taken out Tower Knight yet.

Have you checked the nest to see if it is actually guarding it?