Demons Souls?

PureAussieGamer

Feb 9, 2010
I just got Demons Souls because i heard it was one hell of a hard RPG game.
So far that phrase has proven to be correct. I just started about an hour ago and was confused to what exactly i had to do. I have been into the first level and died about 6 times now to this dude with a lance. I do admit i like the challenge but i wish it explained what i had to do in more details.

Thoughts on this game? And can someone shed some like on this game.

Watchmacallit

Jan 7, 2010
I got the game and loved it. My first real challenge for years. Since the PS2 came out actually. I didn't mind redoing levels because I knew once I died I'd know how to kill the npc that got me. It does have a steep learning curve with little explanation but read the manual and you'll be fine.

It became more fun when people started to try and kill me and I'd hunt them down for invading my world.

My tip, get the BOW!!!! Not crossbow, thats useless, get the bow. And if you get good enough ditch your shield all together and just roll.

I loved it, passed it and played it again.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
If you mean the red-eyed guy with the with the lance; Don't go there...yet.

The first level of the game can be very tough, because you can't yet upgrade your character untill you've defeated the first boss. You need to find certain areas in the castle to create shortcuts so that the next time you die you won't have to retread the whole way back.

I don't know what character type you're using, but my advice is get a sturdy shield.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
To play Demons Souls you have to get into a particular mindset:

"I'm gonna die a lot".

When you can do that, its a fantastic game. But because it is so annoyingly hard, I cant take to play it more than 30-60 mins at a time.

Another thing thats worth to think about is when you go around a new corner:

"This is probably gonna be a trap".

It usually is. Flee a lot, dont be afraid to try to pull single enemies instead of wading into things. Master the blocking and parrying.

Its a fantastic game, and I doubt I'll ever finish it :p

PureAussieGamer

Feb 9, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
If you mean the red-eyed guy with the with the lance; Don't go there...yet.

The first level of the game can be very tough, because you can't yet upgrade your character untill you've defeated the first boss. You need to find certain areas in the castle to create shortcuts so that the next time you die you won't have to retread the whole way back.

I don't know what character type you're using, but my advice is get a sturdy shield.
There was a message saying you need to be soul level 30 to beat this guy. I did get him down to one more fireball hit. I think i could beat him :p But yea ill save him for later.

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
I really, really like the game, it's one of my top three of all time. It's also the only game I've bothered to get platinum on, I just adore the game that much. Also, I really can't wait for Dark Souls, the spiritual succcesor to the title, even if it's a long while from now. Because of that, I recently started yet another playthrough of the game. I just reached over 100 hours of playing the game in total, spread out over my old and the character I just started. It is a bit tough to start again, as I can feel I'm a bit rusty, but that just means I have a challenge on my hands all over again, which is damn awesome.

As for advice, as been said before, dodging is your friend. It's handy when facing mobs scattered throughout the level, but it's absolutely essential once you fight bosses, since blocking will most surely get you killed. Also, make sure that your equip weight is half of your equip limit. If you do that, you can dodge much, much faster, and as I said, it's all-important on bosses, where armor won't save you. Dodging will. Also, your stamina is something you should look out for, also very, very important.

Other than that, I have this extremely useful page: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/ for you. It has information about pretty much everything you could want in the game and it's really well-written. It's actually made by the guys, who eventually ended up writing the manual for the European version of the game. If you have any question or anything at all, feel free to contact me, I know most, if not all ins and outs of that game.

Oh, and last but not least, we have a user group made up of people looking forward to Dark Souls. It's very nice group of people, most of them are also very good at Demon's Souls and all of them are a friendly lot. I hope that helps.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
Demons Souls really is a beginners trap. There's so little explanation provided on what works and what you're supposed to do, but once you get into it, it's a lot of fun. Tip: Use the Royalty starting class, the have Soul Arrow, a spell which makes the game a lot easier since you can kite harder enemies instead of having to face them in a sword fight.

One thing about the game pissed me off though, and I don't hear people talk about this enough: The game has a piss poor ending. Once you get about halfway through the game and have leveled your character, the game gets frickin easy, like a normal game! Maybe I accidentally hit all the hardest levels first, but after defeating the False King I breezed through the rest of the game (World 3 and 5), one-shotting bosses with firestorm and never loosing more health than some grass couldn't get back. And then when all worlds were over, there's no last boss, no epic battle against the Old One. It really bothers me that a game with such difficulty has such an unsatisfying ending.

But rant over, it's not so much about the destination, it's about the journey, and I got 40+ hours of fun out of Demons Souls and loved it. It's hard but not unfair.

PureAussieGamer

Feb 9, 2010
Sp3ratus said:
I really, really like the game, it's one of my top three of all time. It's also the only game I've bothered to get platinum on, I just adore the game that much. Also, I really can't wait for Dark Souls, the spiritual succcesor to the title, even if it's a long while from now. Because of that, I recently started yet another playthrough of the game. I just reached over 100 hours of playing the game in total, spread out over my old and the character I just started. It is a bit tough to start again, as I can feel I'm a bit rusty, but that just means I have a challenge on my hands all over again, which is damn awesome.

As for advice, as been said before, dodging is your friend. It's handy when facing mobs scattered throughout the level, but it's absolutely essential once you fight bosses, since blocking will most surely get you killed. Also, make sure that your equip weight is half of your equip limit. If you do that, you can dodge much, much faster, and as I said, it's all-important on bosses, where armor won't save you. Dodging will. Also, your stamina is something you should look out for, also very, very important.

Other than that, I have this extremely useful page: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/ for you. It has information about pretty much everything you could want in the game and it's really well-written. It's actually made by the guys, who eventually ended up writing the manual for the European version of the game. If you have any question or anything at all, feel free to contact me, I know most, if not all ins and outs of that game.

Oh, and last but not least, we have a user group made up of people looking forward to Dark Souls. It's very nice group of people, most of them are also very good at Demon's Souls and all of them are a friendly lot. I hope that helps.
Thanks for the tips and the link. :D

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
PureAussieGamer said:
There was a message saying you need to be soul level 30 to beat this guy. I did get him down to one more fireball hit. I think i could beat him :p But yea ill save him for later.
I honestly never really bothered with the guy. I defeated him once only to find that he was guarding a locked door that I was never able to open.

Also, beware of Black Phantoms. Untill you've defeated the first Boss you won't encounter them, but as soon as you regained your physical form (You're in spirit form right now) other players online can infiltrate your game and kill you. But only if you're in physical form, when you're in spirit form they can't enter. To my recollection, anyway; I haven't played the game a long while.

Jellly

Sep 22, 2010
Once you understand the combat mechanics and are patient you will die a lot less. When you first encounter a new enemy, try to gauge it's attack patterns and learn them for future fights.

EDIT: oh and in my experience it is a LOT more fun playing melee :)

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Casual Shinji said:
PureAussieGamer said:
I honestly never really bothered with the guy. I defeated him once only to find that he was guarding a locked door that I was never able to open.

Also, beware of Black Phantoms. Untill you've defeated the first Boss you won't encounter them, but as soon as you regained your physical form (You're in spirit form right now) other players online can infiltrate your game and kill you. But only if you're in physical form, when you're in spirit form they can't enter. To my recollection, anyway; I haven't played the game a long while.
Yeah you don't need to beat him until you get to near the end of Boletaria and kill this masked guy, then you get a key. Go back, kill the red eye knight, and you can open the door. Inside there is the Ancient King who is the toughest boss to melee in the entire game (but there are cheap ways to do it). But, he also drops the best armour in the game.

Nikki_Viper

Nov 30, 2010
PureAussieGamer said:
So far that phrase has proven to be correct. I just started about an hour ago and was confused to what exactly i had to do. I have been into the first level and died about 6 times now to this dude with a lance. I do admit i like the challenge but i wish it explained what i had to do in more details.

You may have to start at the beginning when you die, but if you search around and are VERY inventive, you can find shortcuts that open. These short cuts are the ONLY things that don't reset when you die. You can skip about half an hour of the first level with a short cut

Axzarious

Feb 18, 2010
varulfic said:
Demons Souls really is a beginners trap. There's so little explanation provided on what works and what you're supposed to do, but once you get into it, it's a lot of fun. Tip: Use the Royalty starting class, the have Soul Arrow, a spell which makes the game a lot easier since you can kite harder enemies instead of having to face them in a sword fight.

One thing about the game pissed me off though, and I don't hear people talk about this enough: The game has a piss poor ending. Once you get about halfway through the game and have leveled your character, the game gets frickin easy, like a normal game! Maybe I accidentally hit all the hardest levels first, but after defeating the False King I breezed through the rest of the game (World 3 and 5), one-shotting bosses with firestorm and never loosing more health than some grass couldn't get back. And then when all worlds were over, there's no last boss, no epic battle against the Old One. It really bothers me that a game with such difficulty has such an unsatisfying ending.

But rant over, it's not so much about the destination, it's about the journey, and I got 40+ hours of fun out of Demons Souls and loved it. It's hard but not unfair.
Yeah, you did some of the hardest stuff first. The enemies and bosses in those worlds are either Weak to fire, or have no resistance to it unlike the other enemies... And yeah, the huge stockpile of better grasses you can get from world 1-3 and 1-4 is really a kind of game breaker when you do that... As for the last fight, I thought it was supposed to be more symbolic and that the False King was the real "End Boss".... aside from the possibility of running into a GOOD player when fighting Old Monk.... Or being said boss... Good times... some people barely had time to react before their untimely demise.

czfjrod

Apr 2, 2010
I'd like to share a quick true story:

I've heard a little bit about Demons Souls from an episode of Extra Credits, and later got an e-mail from Daniel mentioning it. This was around November or December. Then Christmas day, I find it in my stocking without having mentioned wanting it before.

I played it almost immediately, and it was pretty amazing to watch and play, but I kept finding myself losing around the same areas. I would've kept playing, but I was caught up in the rest of my life, and I haven't played it since.

I would have played it again, but I never felt in the mood to play it. My brother's been playing it instead, and he claims to have recreated Katarina de Leon from Pirates: The Legend of Black Kat on there.

WildSeraph

Jan 5, 2011
Demon's Souls is without a doubt my favourite PS3 game. It was the first I got, and I still haven't beaten it. The dude with the lance shouldn't be attempted for a while, because not only is he really difficult, but there's an even MORE difficult guy right after him! Don't even try yet.

I'm looking forward to Dark Souls, especially if they put in a real multiplayer game-finding system. It would still be cool to have the drop-in method, but I would like it if I could set up a game with my friends more easily. That's really the only thing I can find to improve the game, aside from the inescapable state you can get into when all of your weapons and armor is broken, making it near-impossible to kill anything, so you can't get souls, so you can't repair your stuff!

Ziltoid

Sep 29, 2009
PureAussieGamer said:

If you get him to chase you back to the tower with the really long flight of stairs there is a trick to get him to fall down and die. You never even have to hit him, and you get around 5000 souls for doing it.

Love the game though. So many hidden secrets to find. I love how it is entirely up to the player to figure out how to play the game effectively, and find all the secrets. They basically only teach you the control scheme and then you are on you own. It was a refreshing change from the majority of games that feel like they have to hold your hand the entire way through.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
PureAussieGamer said:

TIPS:
Do not wait until 8th runthrough to fight Blackphantoms for weapons.
Do not play as Jack of All Trades unless you want a royally hard(yet fun for me) time.
Yes, you can win a 5vs1. Just don't give up.
Do not disconnect while in another players world. You will get stuck in their server, and if they haven't beat the bosses you have, you will have to fight them again.(Flame Lurker 4 times for me in my first runthrough...)