Departing Sony Europe Head: PS3 is '3-5 Years' From Dominating

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
And this way they effectively stall the console market. Neither microsoft nor nintendo will want to compete with the same product twice and risk getting blindsided by a ps4 released 1 year after them.

All while the PC gains more and more lead on all them.

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
Yog Sothoth said:
Too late for Sony in this round of the console wars, methinks.... I wonder how the PS3 would've fared if it had only a standard DVD player instead of Blueray and cost $150 less.....
Except PS3 games are on Blueray, so you wouldn't be able to play any of them

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
sanzo said:
Yog Sothoth said:
Too late for Sony in this round of the console wars, methinks.... I wonder how the PS3 would've fared if it had only a standard DVD player instead of Blueray and cost $150 less.....
Except PS3 games are on Blueray, so you wouldn't be able to play any of them
It's a hypothetical situation. If Sony hadn't used blueray for the PS3, their games wouldn't be on blueray discs......................

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Yog Sothoth said:
......then you'd get a PS2 Slim.

Anyway, alot can happen in 3 years and even more can happen in 5. Who knows what will happen, and it's good that despite some set backs with the company, Sony is still positive about their situation and how it will turn out.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Well, I guess it'll be 3-5 years before I get a PS3. Which means that I'll be in for a treat when I get to play a larger selection of games.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
The PS3 will probably be either replaced in 3-5 years, or be competing with 100% functional versions of the 360 and Wii, possibly even another Wii version. It's gonna have to be REALLY awesome to lead the race at that point. Besides, of course the company head is gonna say their system rules the other ones' butts. He'd probably get fired if his press release was "we're going to be decidedly decent in the next quarter."

tenlong

Apr 26, 2009
Nazrel said:
sneakypenguin said:
And in 3-5 years we will (hopefully) have the next generation of consoles....
Hopefully!? Seriously we've plateaued, and I don't want to have buy another system just so we can get more unused processor power and graphics that would require a mutate with 40/20 vision to tell the difference.

Most of the games I want are still being released for the PS2.

they need worry about this gen first. most console library and capabilities
peak around 4 to6 years after its release. i hope next gen don't start till at least 2011 to 2015. it would allow for great library of games to be made.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
Abedeus said:
Really? You know that in those 3-5 years DirectX 11 will be long out with effects that would melt any console? And since price of the PS3 has barely moved since the release... Well, I doubt many people would choose it over a much better, faster and prettier graphics of PC.
Ignoring graphics, a PC is also infinitely more useful than a console.

And boo on controllers.
My PC has recently seen a lot of love from me due to me having no TV, so therefore I must say: you can do a lot of stuff with PC's that you can't with consoles. I like controllers for certain games though: mainly cause I can't wear my watch and use a keyboard without my wrist feeling strained, and I HATE taking my watch off.

Indigo_Dingo said:
TsunamiWombat said:
In 3 to 5 years... jesus CHRIST, the console will be a decade old then.
No, it'll be 5 years old by then. What are you counting?
Wait, what? It'll be 7 years old by then. It was released in 06'. So you're both wrong :D

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
scotth266 said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
TsunamiWombat said:
In 3 to 5 years... jesus CHRIST, the console will be a decade old then.
No, it'll be 5 years old by then. What are you counting?
Wait, what? It'll be 7 years old by then. It was released in 06'. So you're both wrong :D
Yeah, at the end of 06. Its now mid 09, so in three years it will only be 5 years old.
I was going on years alone. It's semantics really. But whatever... it's not that important an argument :D

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
I know that... I was just saying it's silly debating about the semantics of time measurement. I wasn't trying to kick the poor ol' PS3...

Which reminds me: since the thing is supposed to last a decade anyway, who really cares? Until 2016, the PS3 is supposed to be Sony's strategy. Therefore all this silliness was unecessary :D

yeah_so_no

Sep 11, 2008
I'm a PS3 fan, but I'm going to take anything coming out of the mouth of a Sony executive about how it's going to dominate with a whole salt lick worth of salt.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
yeah_so_no said:
I'm a PS3 fan, but I'm going to take anything coming out of the mouth of a Sony executive about how it's going to dominate with a whole salt lick worth of salt.
Ah, but there is a loophole in that thinking, the man is leaving Sony! :D