Depressing Realizations

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
I will never be rememebered. Nothing we do matters. We are all pointless sacks of meat walking around a dying ball of dirt falling though a cold and emotionless galaxy, extending our meaningless existence for no reason.

Good enough for you Escapist?

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Esotera said:
I have a 20% chance of being sectioned and an 80% chance of going crazy again.

Also, in 20 years kids will look back on the things we think are amazing now, and laugh like we do at ancient stuff like floppies.
Dude, there was this kid ( 9-10) that came into work a few months back and pointed at a flash drive and asked me "what is that?" I said "It is portable computer memory, you know kind of like a flop... nevermind"

I'm 23 and I am starting to feel old..... What am I gonna do when I hit 50?

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
Kermi said:
It bothers me that we have the technology and resources for everyone on this planet to be healthy, fed and sheltered, while creating a sustainable world for future generations but by and large our species is too self centred to do the things they need to do to make that happen, instead seeking personal gain alone, often to the detriment of others.

I'm not a nihilist by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm kind of glad I'll be dead long before the real problems our planets is going to have take effect.
Do you know of a different species who is less self-centred? Because we do come across as one of the nicest species on our planet, if not the nicest. It's unnatural to be completely selfless anyway.

Nothing massively depressing comes to mind. Death is always going to be one of them, but I've probably got until I'm 100 before I kick it with the way science is advancing. I've never been in a relationship, but that's not really a realization, more so just a fact.

My parents splitting up came across as a massive surprise at first, but after giving it some thought once I reached a mature age, it was pretty damn clear they were having problems. I guess that realization is probably the most... realizationy?

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
That Riot are never going to nerf Irelia enough, because it's just downright impossible. It's just not fair that we have to live in a world where you don't feel safe going solo top anymore.
(What's also depressing is that only about 1.5 people will understand that "joke")

In all seriousness I can only say to this thread:

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
Whenever I think about the fact that some day, I will die. (Weird thought to be having at 16 years of age, but it'll pass)

I've been dealing with some depression and self esteem issues, and because of this, I've grown distant from my friends. I didn't do anything to piss them off, it's just that I'd have days that were so bad that I either couldn't bring myself to go anywhere, or I didn't want to make them put up with me. Either way, I ended up canceling or backing out of a lot of plans. It eventually got to the point where we hung out less and less, until I rarely see them anymore (Aside from classes, but we won't be going back to school for a little while). Even though my situation has drastically improved, I'm very worried that I won't be able to go back to the way things were with my friends, or that things would just be too awkward after all this time.

(Sorry for the length of that last one, it's just been bugging me for a while, and I had to get it off my chest)

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
That my perception has almost always inevitably led me to realizations I'd have rather not had. I trust almost none of my friends and can site several examples of when they've done something two-faced, blatantly lied, did something that hurt myself or others exclusively for their benefit, etc.

It's always there, people almost seem to be completely motivated by self gain. I hate being this cynical, I hate even more that my cynicism appears to be completely grounded in reality. Oh and you totally asked for the angst by the way, because I rarely ***** about this sort of shit, since it is essentially a waste of breath.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
I have cerebal paulsey which has rendered me wheelchair-bound, so obviously a glaring constant would be the old "it's never going to go away" thing, you only get one life and I was screwed over from the start, that's pretty depressing, but once you get used to it being disabled isn't that bad, the money I get from the government simply for existing makes it more tolerable. and really I'm far too used to not being able to walk by now for it to really bother me beyond the odd bit of frustration now and then,

a more recent realization would be the one that I will probably have to die in a completely mundane and boring fashion, I can't die in battle because of my affirmities, and I probably won't die doing anything stupid/interesting enough to kill me for the same reasons

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
I will never meat someone as awesome as me. And that's sad you all will never understand that but I am just that awesome. (not serious)

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
Veldt Falsetto said:
LarenzoAOG said:
I've recently come to terms with the fact that I'll probably never marry Beyonce.

Things are hard, but I'm staying strong.
I have come up with a plan, a secret plan that shall not only meet with the demise of a certain rapper but also make almost certain that Beyonce shall marry one of the people in the Beyonce club...well kinda
Go on......

Edible Avatar

Oct 26, 2011
There is no pattern or meaning to this universe save what we place upon it. There is no morality, no time, no god. Heck, even life itself is a wild aberration that will die out and come again. The past and the future are irrelevant

There is only us, and the present.

enjoy it.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Not sure if this is entirely depressing even if it got me really moody before I realized...

Today I discovered that a part of me somehow refused to connect sexual pleasure with meaningless sex. At all. And it was such a shock. Because I always thought I'd come to terms with the whole casual, no meaning sex thing even if I didn't have what it takes.

But I realized that I was wrong. I never came to terms truly because I still don't understand and probably never will.

It all started with this book I was reading where these two people had sex just because the female was fertile and they both wanted a child to fill this void in their lives. The book did not describe the scene and as I was trying to picture it, I realized I couldn't.

For all intents and purposes, the mechanics of sex are obvious. So there's really only one thing they could have done but it was like... getting any details of the scene were impossible.

Was a rather strangely emotional moment for me and it's left me a little... thoughtful, I guess?

Sep 24, 2008
Phasmal said:
Me and boyfriend were up at silly'o'clock the other day watching some `50 Greatest Music Videos` show, and we knew from the start that the No.1 would be `Thriller`. One day it wont be Thriller. And I will be sad.
you're actually fine. For there to be a chance of it not being number one, there will have to be quality music and music videos produced in the future. With the way our media is going... yeah, Thriller's safe.

TWRule

Dec 3, 2010
Imthatguy said:
gNetkamiko said:
halfeclipse said:
All we've got waiting for us is the slow, but enetiveable heat death of the universe as it approaches maximum entropy, and the space of time life can reasonably exist in the universe is around 100 Trillion years.

100 billion years from now. the local group will destabilize, merging into one big galaxy, a trillion years after that galaxies will be red shifted far enough we wont be able to see them anymore (even the gamma rays they emit will have a wavelength longer then the observable universe.) 100 trillion years from now, the Stelliferous era will end, and no more stars will form. 10-20 trillion years after that the last stars (low mass red dwarfs.) will exaust the last of their fuel, cooling to white dwarfs, leaving the universe populated black holes, neutron stars and white dwarfs. In the absence of an energy source, these remnants will cool further, grow faint and except for rare events the last light in the universe will go out.

Over the next quadrillion years, the remaining orbits of the planets will decay, or be flung from the system, and over the next 100 Quintillion years the same will happen to the stellar remnants within the galaxies.

10 Decillion years later baryonic matter (Which includes protons and neutrons.) will begin to decay into photons and leptons, and by 10 Duodecillion years (10^40) this will have finished, leaving the universe to the black holes for the next 10^100 years as they slowly evaporate to nothing, leaving the universe effectively empty as it reaches true heat death.
Fuck me. Way to cause a huge downer. O.O

You certainly did your homework.
There is no evidence of proton decay and life still has a unbelievable amount of time left.

Be happy; that's an order.
Hey, things are bad, but we don't have to make them worse than they are guys.

Here's a pick me up: for those of you bemoaning the eventual destruction of Earth and/or the universe as a whole, that's all based solely on conjecture from current scientific theory, and there are good philosophical grounds upon which to avoid accepting that whole scientific worldview. So, there's still hope - we just have to figure out what we want to do with ourselves (and can't listen to science to figure it out obviously).

Cobalt180

Jun 15, 2010
I'd say that dwelling on the end of things will always get one depressed, certainly the prospect of ENDING or even THE END is a very monolithic subject. The way of life we're accustomed to, the plentiful food and water is starting to dwindle away, lack of cultivation and an unfriendly climate may mean that we won't have enough food for the population we have. If anything, the depressing realization is that the problems won't be solved until there's money to be made fixing those problems. And it won't take long, supposedly, in 10 years we'll start to feel the effects.

All in all, depressing realizations are just a little bump in the road, but, a way to think about ending is that were things never to end, there'd be nothing new, and eternal stagnation can be hellish when all the things you love get stale and samey. It'll break down, but, then something new will come up and you'll enjoy that, too.