Depression Medication thoughts/questions EDIT: Thanks

masterbazza

Mar 24, 2011
i am currently dealing with depression, and i am on antidepressants.
Scientist have found that people with depression have lower serotonin levels then normal, this is not a cause but an unfortunate side effect. The medication isn't a cure, it raises my serotonin levels so i can get to a state where i am capable of working with a councilor to work through my issues.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
The way you present your case it would be hard for your healthcare provider of choice to even figure out if you were serious about it or not. Fret not, this is a forum on teh interwebs, where everything is possible!

If you do seek professional help, which I believe to be the right thing to do before things get (way) worse, prepare to answer some questions that might annoy you or downright piss you off. Prepare to fill in some questionnaires that will make you question if it was the right thing to do to open up about it; rest assured that these steps are necessary both for you and your healthcare professional of choice.

As to your Questions:

shogunblade said:
- I am worried that if I am on meds, my personality will change dramatically (I really don't want to be super happy), is it a legitimate concern?

Uhm, that's... I believe that's not the way to go at it. You writing this here could be taken as a sign that it's significant enough - i. e. enough of an issue to you - to consider it a (potential) problem or threat. That's good. Better go for a false alarm or a little bout of drama before the big one hits home and completely disables you.

Now, the fear of you getting super dumb super happy just because of medication is pretty much unwarranted. We're talking standardized medicine, not smoking and shooting up illicit random substances from shady dealers.

Yet, since we're all wired a bit differently (YAY to being unique like everyone else!), your ride may vary. What's important is that you work with a healthcare professional you really trust, and be pretty open and straightforward with him/her. Some people might object, but I personally believe it to be important to work with someone of your own gender, as that really seems to make things easier in a lot of cases. Again, your mileage (and preference) may vary, so be honest with yourself and think the things through that are more important to you. The rest you can let slide and see how things turn out.

Go in with a - simple - goal. Such as, "Make me feel better, doctor!" or "What's wrong with me? Help me!" - don't expect miracles, but work on achieving that goal. Keep a diary (ON PAPER. NOT COMPUTER. NO ARGUMENT.), and do it thoroughly. It's important that you get in touch with yourself so you can raise an alarm when you believe something bad, strange or unpleasant is happening to you because you're on medication. Sometimes the first choice of drug/chemical won't do the trick. Prepare to explain, as thoroughly as possible what's happening to you and what you don't like about it. Without that, you make it really hard for a professional to help you, no matter if he/she is all about the textbooks or has personal experience with the substances.

Whatever you're being given/prescribed: Stick to the plan, at all times. If you think something is wrong, tell your healthcare professional ASAP. Do not alter the dosage by yourself, as that is bound to have adverse effects and further complicate whatever situation you find yourself in. If you believe your first days on prescribed medicine are mind-altering, unpleasant or otherwise alarming, tell your healthcare professional. More often than not, it's normal as chemical and electrical balance inside your mushy brain is being restored. Sometimes it takes quite a while to really understand and assess how a specific product affects/helps you. Sometimes it takes weeks, sometimes it takes months to be where you're supposed to be. Sometimes the whole therapy and process of getting well again takes weeks or months. Sometimes it takes longer. It's the way we roll.

- I am worried the things I do might lose interest if I'm on meds (I already don't like doing anything; Watching movies, playing games, performing music, acting in plays, writing this movie about depression and seclusion), will medication make me dislike these things more?

You're still you. If you're a lazy bastard, you'll just be a depressed lazy bastard. Some people may use that as a lame excuse, but fact is that life just ain't that grand if you let yourself grow into an emotional black hole.

The goal for medication/therapy is to get you back on track. If your goal is to get back to normal and maybe even become a better, more stable person (a better you) in the process, hey! Free bonus points!

Mind you, it might "just" be some sort of seasonal affective disorder. When you look that up or discuss it with people that are off worse, it might easily be dismissed as being 'no biggie' or such, but rest assured that even slight bouts of depression are enough to harm people in the worst ways possible, so do feel encouraged to get to the bottom of this. You only have one life, dedicating it to being miserable and all-out gloom & doom is no fun.

- Will my mood become worse as the weather changes, just as it is now?

Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) - there is no standardized test I know of that handles SAD. Talk to your healthcare professional about it and maybe go in with a WRITTEN DOWN list of questions.

Side note: The weather isn't targeting you specifically. There's nothing personal about it. If it was all sunshine and splendid weather all year round, we'd all be dead, the planet would be dead and no life on Earth could exist. Bad weather is good for all of us. Take up an interest in plants. They need sunlight more than we do. Yet most of them will die in no time if not provided with enough water. Keep that in mind when you think wet & grey sucks.

With every drug comes a list of possible side effects. Some people go for the neatly folded up paper and read that right away, some people don't ever have a look at it. Some people develop side effects just because they read about them, which clearly doesn't help things. I think it's important to ask your healthcare professional about possible side effects you should know about and look out for. If he/she tells you to go read the stuff yourself, he/she isn't doing his/her job right. I'd say it's better to go through the patient information together with your healthcare professional, so you can ask questions that you would otherwise go look up yourself (with inconsistent results).

- On my father's side, Mental Illness/Chemical Imbalance runs strong. I'm alright for now, thankfully, just neurotic (And perhaps mildly OCD/Filled with anxiety). Will Medication bring out something from my family I won't like/Exacerbate what I have now?
Well, your healthcare professional must know about it in order to do his/her job right. We're still working on getting to the bottom of this, as matters that involve the brain are very much less straightforward than matters involving, say, the heart or the spleen. If that is a genuine fear or yours, tell the person that's supposed to help you. You might be good to go anyway, or you might be asked/required to pop some more pills. Some people see being 'officially' treated as a good excuse to turn into complete assholes. That's not the proper purpose of a proper therapy, though.

You might be asked/invited for talk therapy in addition to your medication. I say go for it. Let a professional of your choice - not a 'good friend' or 'family member' - explain the options to you. In brief, proper psychotherapy should help you understand why you feel the way you feel. Cognitive behavioral therapy, on the other hand, will mainly teach you skills that help you cope with your situation better, handle negative thoughts in a controlled manner and it will also make you more alert to things that might cause you to get/feel worse.

It's a bit like learning to drive a car with stick-shift, only that it's your emotions and your train of thought you learn to keep on the tracks.

Don't read up too much on the internet before you go in. Take notes during your session so you can ask the person right away, or look it up afterwards. If any hint, tip or suggestion you get on the internet or from friends/family bothers you or keeps popping up in that personal headspace of yours, go ask your professional healthcare provider about it. They're supposed to have lots of knowledge, and if that fails, they've got lots of smart books on the subject. They might even suggest you go read some book that looks boring/crap/laughable to you, but I would say get both fists out of your arse and do as they say.

Good luck.

Mr.Cynic88

Oct 1, 2012
I?ve been dealing with my own fun combination of bipolar/adhd/anxiety for over seven (wow I?m getting old) years, so I think I have a valid opinion on this subject.

When I was 17 I was hospitalized for depression issues; it was caused by all those typical things: girls, sports, failure. You know, all those things that generally suck to deal with but you have to and that?s life.

Anyways, the end result was going to therapy ? which didn?t help at all ? and antidepressants, with didn?t help?at first.

The thing about antidepressants is they take a full two weeks to kick in, and having the motivation to take them on schedule isn?t easy when you?re in a depression fog. Still, I remember gutting it out for two weeks then suddenly, BAM! I had a cosmic realization that I didn?t want to die, and amazingly, I could get excited about things again.

Now, the ?Depression is Bullshit? people are never going to understand this, and that?s fine, but seeing that life is worth living again is an amazing sensation, and everybody deserves it. I know that it?s quite possible with proper drug use, but there is no such thing as a magic pill.

The side effects on antidepressants can be killer. My first drug made me feel like me again, except I couldn?t get it up ? which is kind of a problem for a horned-up teenager.

My second drug made my hair start to fall out. My third drug made me too groggy. Each one of these drug changes involved the long waits and co-payments inherent in seeing a doctor.

By the time I was 18 I was finally stabilized on a combination of three pills. I was an academic bad-ass and earned more money in scholarships than my freshman year of college cost me.

I accomplished some impressive things during my first two years of college; shit that still belongs on my resume. Every day I took my meds, and they allowed me to not only succeed, but flourish. But there were still side effects: I pretty much always had an upset stomach, and a sort-of eternal cotton-mouth. Still, better than jumping into moving traffic.

Then, one day, the drugs stopped working. In an attempt to find a new system of efficient anti-depressants I re-succumbed to my mental illness in an unstable period of my life that lasted another two years.

I was then finally able to get back onto meds that worked, and now I?m getting a free Master?s Degree.

The point is that drugs have the potential to be a highly useful tool, but they are not some kind of magic pill. You will not feel like a zombie or like a different person (unless you are completely on the wrong dosage in which case you should call your doctor for immediate advice) but they definitely alter brain chemistry in a subtle way. If you can integrate the drugs into a daily routine it is far easier to have some mental illness symptoms and then accept them, and let them go away.

Mental illness is a daily battle that requires constant vigilance to not let take over. Some people beat it with therapy visits, others are good as long as they work out, some people need to start eating healthier, others properly use drugs ?anybody I know who has dealt with this kind of thing (NIMH statistics indicate a quarter of adults) does it with a combination of those things and more.

If nothing else, I?ve found it gets easier with age; the emotions are just as intense, but experience counts for a lot in terms of not letting your silly head control your actions.

I have nothing but positive things to say about antidepressants and how they can literally save your life, but it?s not something to enter in lightly either.

Anyways, I hope that helps you in some way.

theravensclaw

Oct 13, 2010
I've been on meds for over 15 years except for a 2 year stretch in the middle which resulted in a break down and me locking myself in my house for 2 years at the age of 22 (I'm 30 now). Without medication I'm a mess. I do not function, I cannot go out around people and I want to remove my skin strip by strip with a carving knife. On meds, I'm still an emotional person, I write and create a little less than when not medicated but I also hold down a full time job and manage some semblance of a social life. Also my flesh in intact on my body. I'm on a bit of a cocktail that has taken a few years to get right and I find I need less changes to them, but I know this is a life sentence for me. I will always be medicated, but the alternative is worse. Sure some days I still dont function all too well, I still get panic attacks but I can get through them. I still sometimes want to slice off my skin and yeah I still self harm occasionally (been over 12 months now though) but that's me. everyone reacts differently to medication. My stepdad is a sleep deprived grumpy zombie on his. A friend became manic on hers. Sometimes they do nothing but make you sleepy. If you can't function see a doctor, get some counselling too for if there is a specific cause or even for coping strategies. But if you can live without them dont start them. They wont fix anything. They just balance you out so you can cope a little better... if they work.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
My sister described being medicated as feeling "flat" and got off the meds as soon as she felt she could function without them. Maybe "flat" is better than bouncing off walls or sinking through floors, but it doesn't sound like it's leaping for joy either. I reckon Meds are useful "means" but none of them "ends".

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
shogunblade said:
Every time I considered typing this up in the past, I usually stopped myself, but this time, I'm feeling particularly lower than usual, and who knows, maybe it'll make me feel better to know the answer rather than postpone it.

I, like many, am dealing with depression, and this particular week (or last three days) haven't been all that great. I realize that nobody has perfect days or weeks, but my problems are coming from the weather changing (and as a result, I'm feeling more miserable than usual), on top of some things I'm unsure about in my life (Nothing serious, There are two girls I'm unsure about, can't tell who likes me, that's what is sitting over my head, really).

With the weather changing and girlfriend thoughts being all that are bothering me, I'm seriously considering getting on depression medication. I've thought about it for years, and have dropped the idea for a few months because of my belief that drugs don't cure anything, they just help surpress the thoughts, but that you have to consider doing things with your life to make it better, and with the exception of the girlfriend issue, and maybe moving out of my parents house (Which isn't realistic, really), I don't know what else I can really consider doing to improve my life (I'm already watching what I'm eating, I'm losing weight, I drink water regularly, ETC).

I have many concerns about taking depression medication, and I was wondering if maybe the Escapist could help me (I know that not everybody is the same, and only a doctor can tell me what I need and what I can have and all that), but I have some questions that make me think I don't need meds. My questions are:

- I am worried that if I am on meds, my personality will change dramatically (I really don't want to be super happy), is it a legitimate concern?
- I am worried the things I do might lose interest if I'm on meds (I already don't like doing anything; Watching movies, playing games, performing music, acting in plays, writing this movie about depression and seclusion), will medication make me dislike these things more?
- On my father's side, Mental Illness/Chemical Imbalance runs strong. I'm alright for now, thankfully, just neurotic (And perhaps mildly OCD/Filled with anxiety). Will Medication bring out something from my family I won't like/Exacerbate what I have now?

I can't think of anything else right now. These are all questions I have been curious about for some time, and it has taken me a lot of will to even consider putting this up. Whether I consider it or not, however, is up to a doctor and me. They are just concerns that I don't think a WebMD article can do for me. So I ask people that do take medication (and are willing to admit it), is there more you need to know to make a suggestion, or would you consider me a candidate or no?

Thanks for everybody's help. Maybe somebody gives me what I need to hear.

CAPTCHA: Solve Media Can Help

Fat chance.
Well first of all i would like to stress that you shouldn't take meds because you think it may help. You should go to a psychiatrist and see what he suggests.

The way i see it meds aren't a cure, they just remove the symptoms. The cure is actually going on therapy and hope that whatever the shrink tells you helps you become better and use meds during that process.

I have a neighbor who lost his wife and became depressed, he was prescribed some pills to be able to "live" normally while grieving. It did greatly help him but it's also important to note that his mental hardship was going to be temporary anyway and for such a situation meds are pretty good. It's like taking anti cold meds, they don't actually cure you but their ability to suppress the symptoms while being sick are helpful to get on with your life while being sick.

An other side note is that not everyone responds the same way to meds and as such they may not be helpful for you. Hence why it is imperative to seek psychiatric advice. (I also strongly discourage seeking advice from a house doctor as it is not their specialty, though they might send you to a shrink anyway)

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
PreviouslyPwned said:
You know the best cure for depression?

SNAP OUT OF IT!
The guy suffers from depression... that is not the same of feeling sad or just having a bad day and whining about it.

Depression can come from a variety of sources, such as chemical imbalance/abnormalities (which medication can help treat), psychological damage/trauma/stress (which requires counselling or psychotherapy for treatment) or genetics (hereditary disorders).

More often then not depression stems from environmental factors (a poor diet can disrupt your normal biochemistry), excessive stress from day to day with no resolutions or respite (pretty common)... heck, even the location is a factor (city folk are more prone to Depression then country folk).

Depression is not an emotion. A depressed person can still laugh and have fun (though in severe cases even that might be a struggle), which makes it difficult to spot. Depression is a disorder that can affect you in any number of ways, from something as minor as being grumpy or irritable to outright suicidal tendencies.

The major issue with depression is that there is no 100% guarantee that treatment will help (curing is a far flung goal beyond that) as each case is uniquely different between individual sufferers.

@shogunblade
And its for that reason OP, that you should go to a professional and not ask people on a forum. What worked for someone else might not help you at all... or worse. Only a professional or a specialists opinion is valid with such an issue. Don't settle for anecdotal advice.

If you take anything from others here it should be this:

Get professional help and have no shame in doing so. Just be open about it... don't "stiff upper lip" anything. Medication shouldn't be your first option, seek counselling first, but if its needed (according to professionals) then take it.

Best of luck OP, I know what its like, even in seemingly minor cases.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
shogunblade said:
Well, I am a medical student and we did Mental Health during the first half of this semester. So I can give some general advice - but I am not a doctor. I'm a student. So take what I say with a grain of salt.

1) Your personality is unlikely to change dramatically - although that depends on the class of drug you are given. They are unlikely to make you "super happy" - they just reduce the depression, and if anything, get you back to what your personality should be.

2) Again, depends on the class of drug you are given. You seem to be worried about being prescribed depressants - this is not what doctors give to depressed people. Depressants and mood-stabilizers are given to those suffering from mania or bi-polar disorder, which I don't think you have.

First-Line Drugs given to people suffering from depression are usually SSRIs - Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors. They're usually quite good, and they have little side effects and are usually tolerated well by patients. They don't decrease your interest in things, or alter your general personality all that much.

3) Will your mood become worse? Hm. That is difficult to say. Generally, SSRIs, Noradrengeric Reuptake Inhibitors (NARIs or NERIs because american say Norepinephrine) make people better, not worse. However, the brain is, after all, a very complicated system and some people can experience side-effects which make moods worse.

How likely this is depends on age - if you are younger than 18, we do not recommend SSRIs and NARIs at the moment. Studies show that there is a not-insignificant increase in suicides in teenagers (under 18) prescribed these drugs. For those over 18, the drugs are generally recognized to be very safe, and if you suffer an adverse effect, it probably won't be too severe. Also, if you do suffer side-effects, doctors can prescribe to you different formulations and medications.

4) Similar to 3 - this rarely happens as a result of anti-depressant medication, although there is a very slight risk. There are genetic components to anxiety disorders and mental illnesses - something I have observed in my own family.

Again, depends on your age - if you are under 18, competent doctors (and not pill-pushers) should recommend CBT - Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. This is a good form of treatment, and does not involve any drugs whatsoever. It works best in young people, although it is suitable for everyone. CBT involves a range of mental exercises designed to try and reduce the severity of your depression, and in some cases, eliminate it entirely.

Regardless of what I've said, consult a doctor. And be wary of a doctor that IMMEDIATELY leaps towards a pharmacological solution. As a medical student, I will say that doctors these days are not trained to leap to drugs at the first chance. Doctors who do, tend to be bad doctors. I am not anti-drug - when applied correctly and properly, anti-depressant medication is a tremendous tool and a wonderful thing. But some doctors view them as the only tool, and they are not.

And regardless of whatever treatment you take, check in 6 months to see if you are depressed. In most cases, Depression DOES spontaneously resolve itself after about 6 months. There are cases of chronic depression, of course, but depression does not have to be a life-long condition, and medication or CBT can be a useful tool in ensuring that it does not.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
shogunblade said:
my problems are coming from the weather changing (and as a result, I'm feeling more miserable than usual), on top of some things I'm unsure about in my life (Nothing serious, There are two girls I'm unsure about, can't tell who likes me, that's what is sitting over my head, really).
Wait... That's it?
You want to start taking depression medications because of that?

If you're unsure about girls liking you, why don't you, I don't know talk to them about it? Seems more logical than taking drugs for extended periods of time.
As for the weather... it will change again. Not worth taking drugs over either.

Sit down with a pen and a piece of paper (or a pc/laptop/whatever) and write down all your problems. Then, think of the reasons why those things are a problem and write that down too. Then, think of all the solutions you can and write them down as well. Then, think of all the possible consequences of those solutions and write that down too.
After that, examine the things you've written down.
If you'll put some effort into all that you'll notice that there are many better options than becoming dependent on chemicals that interfere with your natural brain functions.

And if you really want something to lighten up your mood, smoke some weed.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
shogunblade said:
Honestly, for medication, talk to a doctor. From what I've heard there are a remarkably wide collection of drugs available, each with their own collection of side effects, degree of impact, people they work for.

If you do decide to try it, it may take you a while to find something that works the way you want, however given the availability, it's likely that something will.

Other than that, Stephen Fry once did a program on manic depression, in part of which he looks at medication and considers it. He talks to a whole lot of people, doctors, people on medication for manic depression, people who are not on medication for manic depression because they've chosen not to be. Here [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3EacQ4GfiU] is a link to the first part, there are three. Not sure if you're up for watching all of it, but I would recommend giving it a shot.

Spartan212

Sep 10, 2011
From family experiences: If your doctor prescribes you Xanax, PLEASE think long and hard about how bad you think that your depression is. I had one family member and two friends become horribly addicted to it, and it was a nightmare for them to get off

I took two ADs about a decade ago, Zoloft and Effexor. PERSONALLY, they didn't have a negative emotional effect, but there were certain....sexual...side effects with both. Each one was at a different end of the spectrum, if you can understand that (I'm a male).

I, personally, would rethink even getting on them. They definitely aren't a magic bullet that will all of a sudden make life wonderful. It sounds like what you have is referred to as seasonal depression (real thing) and maybe should just wait it out a couple months

irishmanwithagun

Mar 6, 2012
shogunblade said:
Every time I considered typing this up in the past, I usually stopped myself, but this time, I'm feeling particularly lower than usual, and who knows, maybe it'll make me feel better to know the answer rather than postpone it.

I, like many, am dealing with depression, and this particular week (or last three days) haven't been all that great. I realize that nobody has perfect days or weeks, but my problems are coming from the weather changing (and as a result, I'm feeling more miserable than usual), on top of some things I'm unsure about in my life (Nothing serious, There are two girls I'm unsure about, can't tell who likes me, that's what is sitting over my head, really).

With the weather changing and girlfriend thoughts being all that are bothering me, I'm seriously considering getting on depression medication. I've thought about it for years, and have dropped the idea for a few months because of my belief that drugs don't cure anything, they just help surpress the thoughts, but that you have to consider doing things with your life to make it better, and with the exception of the girlfriend issue, and maybe moving out of my parents house (Which isn't realistic, really), I don't know what else I can really consider doing to improve my life (I'm already watching what I'm eating, I'm losing weight, I drink water regularly, ETC).

I have many concerns about taking depression medication, and I was wondering if maybe the Escapist could help me (I know that not everybody is the same, and only a doctor can tell me what I need and what I can have and all that), but I have some questions that make me think I don't need meds. My questions are:

I can't think of anything else right now. These are all questions I have been curious about for some time, and it has taken me a lot of will to even consider putting this up. Whether I consider it or not, however, is up to a doctor and me. They are just concerns that I don't think a WebMD article can do for me. So I ask people that do take medication (and are willing to admit it), is there more you need to know to make a suggestion, or would you consider me a candidate or no?

Thanks for everybody's help. Maybe somebody gives me what I need to hear.

CAPTCHA: Solve Media Can Help

Fat chance.

EDIT: I took a bit of time to read everybody's particular takes on my concern (And the guy who said "Snap Out of It!", can anyone unlock him? That's what I've said to myself all these other times, and it's what has kept me from typing it up, there is some legitimacy to his comment too, at least aimed at me, anyway)
I want to say thanks for everybody that has tried to get back to me through quoting or what have you. I purposely went to the Escapist because I'd like to understand the whole gamut of problems I can have from real people than some checklist on a Website.
My mood changes rather dramatically (I went running for a half an hour after posting this, it helped) as time goes by.
I have problems with Seasonal Depression (Self-Diagnosing), but I'm absolutely sure I have some kind of problem too (It runs in the family, It'll catch up to me sooner or later), and I will probably talk myself seeing a psychologist soon (I've met one, but they live far enough out of my way that to meet takes too much time in my schedule).

I didn't want to post this to make people assume I wanted attention (I've tried writing this forum post about three times over the last year, and I almost didn't post this one), but I wanted to show that I actively was listening to what people have said. I don't know if I'll mess with medication now (But give it some time, see what happens), but I at least feel better that I addressed it. Thank you.
I recommend seeing a psychologist AS WELL AS a psychiatrist, because a psychologist will push chemical solutions to what they view to be a chemical issue whereas a psychiatrist will be more likely to try and resolve what they see as a mental issue.
Though I've read relatively extensively compared to most on psychology and psychiatry I can't really offer much advice beyond seeing more than the one professional so that you're more aware of your options. I (THINK I) have suffered from depression in the past and (THINK I AM)an Avoidant Personality Disorder sufferer (I have yet to see a professional - I claim certainty of nothing) so you have my sympathies in this matter but I've said all I can really say. So I shall part with a simple "good luck".

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
You're in a gaming community which is the right place to voice these concerns! Am I right, folks?!?

Yeah, I'm right!

From experience, I can tell you that meds aren't there to fix shit. Yes, they alter your brain chemistry but not as much as you're thinking. Think of it like... a temporary health increase. They're there to help you get back on your feet. You're the one who has to do the hard work, these just help with that.

Also, make sure you work with your doctor in this. There's a lot of meds and not all of them suit everybody.

Good luck with it, though. I hope it goes alright. And I think I speak for everybody here (Mostly!) when I say I'd appreciate an update, to see how things go.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
I don't really want to be the guy telling you to raise a glass and bottoms up with the pills, however having been on Paroxetine (one of the more heavier anti-depressants/anti-anxiety drugs) since round about last Novemember, I can say that my life has turned around dramatically, I've moved out of my parents, I have a full time job, and though no, Parox didn't turn me into some uber-social joyful zombie, it has helped me massively.

That said, the kind of side-effects that you can expect can range from mild to severe, depending on the drug in question, and the withdrawal effects even worse if you ever wanted to stop taking it. Paroxetine for example causes headaches, nausea, sleeplessness -and- drowsiness, and can apparently increase the risk of suicide in some people. I went off it for about three days cold turkey after the first few weeks, mainly because I forgot to get my next prescription, the first day I was fine , by day two my body felt like lead, if I had had suicidal thoughts before they were only increased massively at that point. I've been back on ever since, one 20mg tab a day. All of the other side-effects no longer seem affect me, and overall I'm more confident and assertive, though a little emotionally numb.

On top of that, if I continue to take it, there's also a chance of it damaging my sperm, causing DNA fragmentation. So, there's risks, a lot of them, but you need to weigh that up against how much benefit going on medication could do for you.

I'd say try and find a decent counsellor or psychotherapist first. I haven't had much luck with them personally, and it was those bad experiences that pushed me to finally give in and ask for medication. I was sick of how things were and had just decided I'd had enough of it. Even if there were risks, if I had issues about having my personality change, fuck it, was better than being miserable and anxiety ridden almost 24 hours a day.

If you do, go for it, talk to your doctor. -Ask- questions. Very important, my doctor didn't tell me about the side-effects, and it was only after I'd started taking Parox that I actually got an info. sheet from the pharmacist. It does cross my mind that I may be addicted, and I am at the very least dependant on the pills, however, things are going well for me, and I'm not going to stop just yet. Going to be hell again if I do, but not yet.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Blablahb said:
Griffolion said:
My depression is currently really messing with my motivation to do university work. I feel like I've no idea what to do, and thus feel hopeless and don't bother. Any one else get that sort of thing?
Sort of, after I came back from Afghanistan and things went from bliss to everything down the shitter due to circumstances. (I studied for a bachelor, signed a one year contact including 9 months on mission, then decided to study on for a master's degree)

I don't know, I'm not a veteran on mental issues or anything. The inactivity and feeling like crap sort of pissed me off at some point, so I forced myself to do something about it. Apparently that worked, because I was back on my feet in 'miraculously short time', quote my gp. Started going outside at regular intervals, meeting with friends whether I liked to or not, training a lot harder, applied for a few fights (kickboxing) and luckily also found a job.
ninjaRiv said:
From experience, I can tell you that meds aren't there to fix shit. Yes, they alter your brain chemistry but not as much as you're thinking. Think of it like... a temporary health increase. They're there to help you get back on your feet. You're the one who has to do the hard work, these just help with that.
Also in many cases, it's an enabler. If people are too far gone, they can't get back on their feet without first being dragged out of that hole by chemical means.
This is true. I wish I had thought to mention that in my original post. Everyone's different so meds isn't best for everybody. But for some they're very helpful. But I did say work with your doctor! I think that's the best thing anybody with depression can do.

Enrathi

Aug 10, 2009
I've been on meds for about a decade now and I'll share my experience with them.

shogunblade said:
Unless they put you on some sort of uppers, probably not. I'm on two types of medication, anti-depressants and mood stabilizers. The anti-depressants help the severity of my depressions and the mood stabilizers help the frequency. My baseline "normal" (non-depressed) moods aren't really altered, I just get depressed less and it's not as severe when I do.

shogunblade said:
I haven't noticed this any more than usual. My interest levels ebb and flow normally whether I was on meds or not. Sometimes I'll lose interest in something I used to like, only to come back to it months later. For me that's normal and the meds haven't changed it as far as I can tell.

shogunblade said:
That's honestly something you'll just have to find out over time. I'm guessing that since your moods worsen with the change of seasons now, it will still do so on meds. The difference is, with the right meds it can be minimized/alleviated.

shogunblade said:
Honestly, it might. When I first started taking meds, the first one they had me try made it worse for me. The depression was about the same, but the meds made me irritable and angry all the time, for no reason. I talked to my doctor and tried new meds and those symptoms went away, but it I was not pleasant to be around when I was on the original.

Ultimately I feel that my meds are a good thing. They really help limit both the frequency and severity of my depressions and my friends all say I'm more pleasant to be around than before I started taking them.

That being said, you'll probably have to go through many different types and dosages to find the right combination that works for you. If they aren't helping or you don't like the side-effects, talk to your doctor. There are plenty different ones out there, it's just a matter of finding the ones that work for you. That being said, it does take several weeks to a month for them to start working effectively. So don't get upset if they don't seem to help right away, it just takes some time. That also applies when you switch drugs. It might take a while before you find the right combination for you, but once you do they really do help.

Outside of meds, I'll also give some advice that helps me. I saw you said you're already losing weight, watching what you eat, etc. Is part of that regular exercise? It doesn't have to be daily, I personally exercise 3 times a week, as long as it's regular. For me the schedule certainly helps, being that we're creatures of habit, but also the exercise and release of endorphins helps immensely. Plus the fact that I'm eating better and exercising more helps me feel better about myself, so it helps to naturally counter depression somewhat.

The person who said "Snap out of it" obviously never suffered from depression nor do they even understand it. It's not something you can simply "snap out of." I tried for many years to get by telling myself that. It never works. The closest I could come to just snapping out of it was to manage the willpower to get out of bed and go about my day normally so no one would know better when all I wanted to do was stay in bed. There were days where I truly, honestly wished I were dead yet I still got up, got dressed, put a fake smile on my face, and went about my day like nothing was wrong simply because it's what was expected of me. And having always suffered from depression, to me it was normal and I didn't know that everyone didn't have to deal with those feelings, that to them they weren't just putting on a face. Once I realized that and got on the right meds, daily life is so much more pleasant.