Designer Leaves Board Game in Desert for Future Players

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
Groxnax said:
This is just plain odd and crazy.
Not to mention wasteful. Titanium is a rare element on Earth, and this asshat just threw away 30 pounds of it.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Okay, tell us the truth. It's not a new game, is it? It's something ancient and evil that you tried to get rid of it because it ate your best friend and unleashed horrifying animals onto your home town, isn't it?
ChaplainOrion said:
Robin Williams is going to find it, and he'll discover this isn't your ordinary game.
*Que drum noises*
I am ashamed that it took this long to get a couple Jumanji references. I thought better of you Escapist :(

OT: This has got to be one of the stupidest, most pretentious things I've ever seen. Congratulations. You did the gaming equivalent of winning a fashion award with the Emperor's new clothes.

Captcha: less is more. Fuck off Captcha!

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
I really hope someone finds it soon. If they don't I really hope someone makes a game that is not only just like it but better in every way possible.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
I title this art piece/performance: "This is what always online DRM feels like" - you know it's there, but it'll be some time before you can actually play it properly and even then it's a good idea of questionable quality, but wrapped in a shiny package.

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
Xarathox said:
Groxnax said:
This is just plain odd and crazy.
Not to mention wasteful. Titanium is a rare element on Earth, and this asshat just threw away 30 pounds of it.
Maybe that's part of the plan? In 2000 years Titanium will be so scarce that people will be searching in the middle of the desert for it, and they'll come across this game. As society has most likely disintegrated at this point, the board game will be revered as some sort of holy artifact left for the promised people. The board game will be kept in a temple built out of scrap, and whenever people have an argument or a war they play the board game instead, with the losers being forced into the suicide machine Star Trek style.

fleischwolke

Feb 8, 2010
Gilhelmi said:
OK, first we eliminate the GPS coordinates that are not in the Nevada Desert.

Then we get the next Escapist Expo to be in Las Vegas, Then we arm (math 2700 - 100/27y - 1000/27d - 5000/slightly over 5d) 5000 people with metal detectors this will take slightly more then 5 days. We will need a support staff of 100 people for organizational Chain of Command.

We can do this, give me a $1,000,000 budget and a volunteer army, and I will get you the Game. Only thing I ask is to be the first to play the game and to keep the Titanium version.
Make a kickstarter!

On the other hand: A lot of games will be developed during the next two millenia (at least I hope so). Chances are high that one of these will duplicate the buried game, it might be cardboard and plastic instead of titanium, though. So we (or our descendants) will get to play the game long before anyone digs it up - we just won't know it.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
"Hey, gramps, look what we found buried at the bottom of the lake. Do you know what it is?"
"Hmmm.. Oh! I know, it's called a, 'game.' Primitive humans used to play these before we had AI finish all games and upload the results directly to our brains instantly, thereby making us bored of them before we even played them."
"Oh! So this is the last game we're not bored of?"
"*uploading noise* It was!"

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
Well, there are certainly worse places to hide a game. Desert doesn't seem too bad compared to a few other spots I can think of. Quick, someone check his travel records!

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Given most people have nothing better to do, I figure it would only take a few years to comb that desert.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
I don't get what's so special. I've been doing this with bodies for years.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The only question is whether A Game for Someone, now a GDC award-winner, can live up to over 2000 years of hype.
There's the question as to whether anyone will care by the end of the month, too.

RiffRaff

May 5, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
The only question is whether A Game for Someone, now a GDC award-winner, can live up to over 2000 years of hype.
There's the question as to whether anyone will care by the end of the month, too.
^This^

As an avid board gamer I'm guessing this game isn't any good.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
Sixcess said:
...and inside the game will there be additional instructions on where the DLC is buried?
I agree i will give it two months before it is on the internet.

Clarste

Mar 25, 2010
I think a number of people are misinterpreting the point of this. It's not supposed to be remembered or searched for for 2000 years, and certainly not to be hyped to point of myth or legend. It's supposed to be completely forgotten and stumbled across by a random person future who hopefully decides to try it out but is also fairly likely to sell it to a museum or something. Not that that's a problem either. I also noticed that the rules were described as "diagrams" rather than text, so I'd imagine he did what he could to resolve potential language issues. Although that's hardly a perfect science.

The biggest danger to this project is of course the internet hunting it down within the week, but past that people will stop caring, and that's exactly what it needs to succeed. The more people care about it, the worse he did his job.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
sid said:
Oh man, can't wait for the release date.
I know, man! I'm totally pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-ordering it! I'm even getting a DLC Season Pass!

Seriously though, I wouldn't be surprised if THIS were the game. Tell people that there's a board game hidden in the desert only to be opened in 2000 years, when it's actually just a note signed by him saying, "There is no game, but good job finding where I would have hidden it!". All that, just to see how far some people will go for the truth.

That, or he's actually just hiding it in his basement.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
gmaverick019 said:
The Hungry Samurai said:
Bet it'll be found by the end of the week.
oh i'm sure it could, just give the right person a "challenge accepted" moment and they'll get that shit. hell if they had access to satellite footage i'm sure they could find him in the desert when he planted the damn thing, if he didn't plant it by normal roads/populated areas, it shouldn't be hard to find his blip on a video, he didn't just magically teleport there and back.

plus, 2700 years? you know how organized and efficient nerds can be? this shit will be found in less than 10 years, i reckon.
The problem with that plan is that satellites that happen to be looking earthward with the level of resolution necessary to see such things are generally relegated to military use and their imagery is highly classified. So, if someone with the right clearance and access gets bored, maybe.