Designer X + Designer Y = Best Game Ever?

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
People Can Fly + id

cowsvils said:
Not developers but Valve and Activision? Valve to do the development and Activision to ensure that we get a steady flow of games?
You mean a steady flow of games with jacked up prices and lame dlc, each with high price tags?

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Tim Cain + Chris Avellone.

And if you don't know who these people are then you should look them up.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
I'm going to be original and say Atlus + Square Enix. Square Enix games look fantastic, sound great, and are very polished. Atlus games have extremely bizarre situations perfectly executed, along with the characters and story. It's such a shame that they have a horrible battle system and force you to grind quite a few times in their games. Oh, and the repetition in Atlus games is absurd.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
BioWare writes the characters and designs the combat, Obsidian writes the story, Rockstar and Team Ico work together to design the world and everything in it, Nintendo oversees Quality Assurance.

But then, that's a lot of hands stirring the pot.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
eljawa said:
CrystalShadow said:
eljawa said:
Nitendo and Apple. Yeah, apple isnt a game company, but they have such an emphasis on good hardware that they would be able to bring nintendo back to the big leagues with their games
Bleh. No thanks. In my experience, Nintendo products are better engineered than apple ones.

Apple is great if you want style... But they always seem to sacrifice something practical in the design.
dude...are you kidding? apple products have great engineering. the wii on the other hand...

but yeah, apple has great engineering
You been using the same things I have? Because I've seen everything from shoddy power supplies, unnecessary design issues done for aesthetic reasons...
Fragile components...

And 'user friendly' designs which are anything but. (One-button mice come to mind. Sounds simpler, until you realise the end result is extra buttons being simulated with keyboard+mouse combos)

For that matter, Apple's former UI designer points out they seem to have forgotten most of the lessons of good interface design.

Apple's engineering standards really aren't that great.
Aesthetic design, yes.
Interface design? Mostly. But sometimes they forget their own lessons.
Practical design issues? - frequently sacrificed for Aesthetics.

Build quality? All over the place. Some Apple products are really sturdy and well made, some are absolute crap, with some of the dodgiest electrical components I've ever come across being an issue at times, and similar issues with mechanical parts.

Nintendo has had it's share of design flaws too. (eg. N64 analog stick, Cartridge slot on the NES)

But I've never seen something Nintendo made exhibit some of the serious (as in rendering a device 100% unusable) issues Apple stuff has...
And really, what's the excuse for making battery replacement on a laptop require serious disassembly of a system?
Ever heard of using more than one battery?

Well, whatever. I don't want apple 'improving' Nintendo's stuff. They wouldn't know what they were doing. I'm sure the end result would look good on the outside, but that's about it.
Nintendo makes it's own hardware for a reason.

Heartcafe

Feb 28, 2011
ENKC said:
Game Freak + Zynga. Because Pokemonville would cause world productivity to plummet dramatically.
If that ever happened, I would finally destroy my social life.
YAY FOREVER ALONE :D (with pokemon!)