Despite Titanfall, The PS4 Still Outsold the Xbox One in March

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
Irridium said:
Titanfall is also on the 360, so yeah you really don't need an Xbone to play it. Not sure if it's released yet though, would be interested in seeing how much it sells.
It's already released on 360, but it's having a lot of launch issues from what I've heard.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I'm mostly happy about Final Fantasy X HD crushing sales of Lightning Returns, even though it's a decade old port of a PS2 game only available on one of the major consoles.

Pay attention, Square Enix.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I hate to use the phrase, but at this point is it fair to say PS4 won? Its the more successful of the two consoles, even with the Xbone's flagship title TitanFall being a whole big pile of just okay.
Now I don't have either of the new consoles 'cause they're hundreds of dollars and not on game looks fun enough to justify that. Especially while almost all those games come out for the PC too.
But since launch, the PS4 has done nothing but sell better than the Xbone. TitanFall was supposed to be the giant turn around, and to its credit, the few people i know who bought it liked it. But the important word in that was 'few'. Out of my dozen or so gamer friends, 2 bought it. Hate to generalize, but I imagine its similar in other gaming circles.

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
Silentpony said:
As much as I would like to say that "yes Playstation has won" that would be rather silly at this point. Only due to the fact that if you look at the last generation and how thoroughly the ps3 got stomped early on only to make a humongous comeback at the end of the generation.

OT:I'm glad to see that everything's going so well for both systems. I may hate the xbone but I'm still glad to see it doing well. Now Nintendo just needs to pick up the pace and I'll be even happier.

P.S sorry for any typos as I'm writing this on my phone

Oct 20, 2010
MinionJoe said:
Fat_Hippo said:
Wow, South Park is selling this damn well?
I'm glad to see that as well. Maybe Ubisoft will get a clue about not making everything require uPlay. I know I wouldn't have bought TSOT if it had required uPlay.
They'll probably try to interperate it as "what they want is Yearly South Park installments."

We can at least be thankful that Matt and Tray will reject that idea.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
To be fair, Titan fall is not that innovative a game compared to what they originally had planned for it. It's basically call of duty with about 4 mech suits. Most of my friends are looking more forward to DESTINY.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Steven Bogos said:
If you're noticing a distinct lack of PC games on this list, it's because the NPD sales charts only takes into account games sold at physical brick-and-mortar video game stores.
And this....this right here....is why NPD numbers have been a completely, utterly useless metric for years.

Seriously, why do we even bother listening to these analysts? They're so far behind the times they practically speak ancient Sumerian.

Also, I read this:
Despite all the hype for Microsoft-exclusive mechtastic shooter Titanfall, it still hasn't managed to move more Xbox Ones than PS4s in March
..as, "Despite how fantastic Titanfall turned out to be, it still wasn't enough to convince people to shell out 500 bucks for an overpriced, glitchy, pointless, corporate-friendly box of rubbish."

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
If you're noticing a distinct lack of PC games on this list, it's because the NPD sales charts only takes into account games sold at physical brick-and-mortar video game stores.
The list lists Xbone and PC for Titanfall. Is it not counting PC numbers (I notice 360 is not listed here or the source)? It's puzzling to throw in only two of the three platforms unless they're both relevant.

Vault101 said:
Despite titanfall?

oh sure it sold well...but its hardly a system seller..that game is at least 60 hype
To you it may not be a system seller, but it was pretty much the only thing of note coming out that was even remotely exclusive, and so it was pinned as the "great white hope." Which maybe points to a bigger fault in Microsoft's business strategy than even the Xbone.

jackpipsam said:
The Xbox One is still selling damn well considering they don't have nearly as many release regions (PS4 in Japan would have made a difference).
Of course, their biggest region is still North America, so restricting available markets isn't as huge as it might otherwise be. I'm not sure "damn well" is particularly accurate. But it comes off more as an excuse than anything else. The Wii sold well, period. The 360 sold well out of the gate, period. Now that their successors aren't doing as hot, it's an issue of "well, you have to factor in X Y and Z." Sony and their fans did the same thing last outing, too. It's absurd.

Vigormortis said:
..as, "Despite how fantastic Titanfall turned out to be, it still wasn't enough to convince people to shell out 500 bucks for an overpriced, glitchy, pointless, corporate-friendly box of rubbish."
Especially since you can get those issues with Steam or Origin for free!

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
shintakie10 said:
Its pretty clear that there isn't such a thing as a system seller on a large scale. In the short term, sure, as we saw with the case of Xbox Ones sale increases in the UK that everyone made a huge fuss about. However in the long term it just never seems to work out that way. A small (by comparison) amount of people will buy a console for a game, but the majority don't.

Heck, the biggest console seller I remember was actually somethin weird like Animal Crossing for the 3DS, but even that had tons of different factors added in.
The system is the system seller. And when you add the things Microsoft did, and then pitch it the way Microsoft did...you still sell millions of consoles.

Goddamnit.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Revolutionary said:
We don't need a sales report every month. At this point it's a news story if the PS4 doesn't outsell the Xbox. Also "despite titanfall"?. Not even the most ravenous of fanboys honestly thinks thought that titanfall would be a major game changer, especially seeing as it's an fps that's also on PC.
And 360 as well, well soon. I honestly never considered it worth a XBO since frankly anyone tho wants a XBO would have already planned to get it and one that doesn't can get the game on PC/360 anyway, kind of pointless to hype it so much just lines them up for these letdowns.

Zachary Amaranth said:
Especially since you can get those issues with Steam or Origin for free!
Or on the 360.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
As long as the Kinect boat anchor keeps the XB1 at $100 more and there aren't any killer exclusives, the PS4 is going to keep beating it. Halo 5 might sell a lot of units that month. Otherwise, little reason to shell out the extra $100 for next gen titles if you have to pick one.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I'm not surprised at all that this has happened. Your "enemy" is 100$ cheaper, that's a big deal to people that have a limited budget.

With that said, I find it rather pointless to buy either one since they have no games. I recommend you wait a couple of months at least before investing in one. Titanfall and Infamous aren't that great to be perfectly honest.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Be interesting to know how many copies Titanfall sold on PC (physically and digitally) compared to console.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Riff Moonraker said:
arc1991 said:
shintakie10 said:
Its pretty clear that there isn't such a thing as a system seller on a large scale.
I don't know, Halo 5 is sure to move a ton of xbox ones, but by that time they will be so far behind it won't really matter.

Had Microsoft made sure that Halo 5 would be released earlier, the table may have turned, Titanfall would never do that.
Exactly, because history has shown us that if a console gets behind in sales, it can never catch up, right! Stick a fork in it, its done!

I give up. The doom and gloom just keeps right on coming, yet no one seems to realize the the Xbox One is actually selling VERY WELL. At this point, its the best selling console in their history. The PS4 is just selling even better. But people keep getting this math in their heads that if the PS4 sells more, than the One is failing, and that is simply not true.
Its the Sony Ponies who are worse than the Nintendo Defence Force at the moment, at this point the PS4 is well ahead in sales but the Xbox One is still doing damn well. Its far from failing and is Microsofts fastest selling console yet, in its own terms and by its own right the Xbone is a huge success. The PS4 is an even bigger success and that is undeniable, Sony made a better piece of hardware for a better price but that doesn't erase the fact that the Xbox One is still doing incredibly well.