Destiny 2 rolls back changes after Destiny 2 locks existing content behind paywall.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
The internet is alive with the sound of backpedaling~

TL;DW: After backlash Bungie have rolled back the changes that locked base game content. Except for Nightfall missions. Whatever those are.

TL;DW;
With the Curse of Osiris expansion that launched this week, requirements to challenge endgame content were raised beyond what players can attain without the Curse of Osiris expansion.

Jan 27, 2011
Sooo...

Basically, the stuff you already paid for is now no longer accessible? And is now being held to ransom in a DLC pack?

...Isn't this fraud? Isn't this grounds for a class-action lawsuit?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Jesus, when will the bullshittery end? When is enough enough for these greedy bastards? We?re not far from publishers resorting to overt extortion, showing up at our doors with two muscle-bound, baseball bat-wielding thugs and ?politely? offering that for a modest sum of their choosing, we can keep the game we bought AND our knee caps? I almost wish they would just raise the base price and cut this nickel-?n-dime bullshit and excuses for predatory practices; gives us a full experience upfront, let DLC be TRULY extra content and stay the hell out of my living room basically demanding more money every time I turn on my consoles.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Well, I was thinking of buying the Destiny GOTY edition, those prospects just got a shotgun blast to the back of the head.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
HAHAHAHHAHAA Fucking EA. What a bunch of Twats...er...wait a second. Not EA?

Activision? HAHAHAHAHA Fucking Activision, bunch of twats.

Additionally what the hell did anyone expect? Seriously, Destiny 2 was little more than an boring expansion of Destiny 1. When the base game is a pointless cash grab, is anyone surprised that the xpansions would do the same thing?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Xprimentyl said:
I almost wish they would just raise the base price and cut this nickel-?n-dime bullshit and excuses for predatory practices; gives us a full experience upfront, let DLC be TRULY extra content and stay the hell out of my living room basically demanding more money every time I turn on my consoles.
Even if they did raise the base price, I'm honestly not convinced it would make a bit of difference. I'm sure they'd still plead poverty despite their profit margins, just like they do now.

Naked greed rarely decides "I've got enough money now. I can stop being a shit".

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I think these Publishers are having a contest to see who can piss off their customers the most.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Dalisclock said:
Xprimentyl said:
I almost wish they would just raise the base price and cut this nickel-?n-dime bullshit and excuses for predatory practices; gives us a full experience upfront, let DLC be TRULY extra content and stay the hell out of my living room basically demanding more money every time I turn on my consoles.
Even if they did raise the base price, I'm honestly not convinced it would make a bit of difference. I'm sure they'd still plead poverty despite their profit margins, just like they do now.

Naked greed rarely decides "I've got enough money now. I can stop being a shit".
Oh, I?m certain you?re absolutely correct; I?d expect nothing less. My statement contained a tacit assumption that the higher base price point would sate the greed of these wallet lampreys passing themselves off as publishers seeing as they love to claim all these additional costs serve to offset the higher development costs. Oh boo-fucking-hoo; it must be so SOOO hard swinging around one of the biggest dicks in a multi-billion dollar industry.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
And yet, people keep feeding the beast. Buying into these practices. Making it profitable.

I'm not saying companies should be free to do these shady things, but they wouldn't get away with it if people didn't keep them afloat either.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Vendor-Lazarus said:
And yet, people keep feeding the beast. Buying into these practices. Making it profitable.
Well on that note i must mention that, if you were not aware already, sales for SWB2 (2017) are only about 60% of the launch sales for its predecessor, and half of what Battlefield 1 sold.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I think Jim's right when he says that the companies have a gambling problem.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Vendor-Lazarus said:

I'm not saying companies should be free to do these shady things, but they wouldn't get away with it if people didn't keep them afloat either.
Prettymuch.

This is identical to how all 4 expansions on Destiny 1 worked. So this only shocks you if you bought into the sequel of a game with three years of history for you to do your research on, and couldn't be bothered.

It might actually be reduced, since D1's expansions also curtailed the PvP options, to my recollection. The counterswing of that being that D1 didn't end up locking the Raid, but D2 expands the Raid in the DLC instead of adding a new one. The D1 community also spent ages complaining that Raids didn't move up with the level cap on expansions, so they got their monkeys paw wish, I guess.

Its not a good model, and smacks of laziness at best, since they could maintain the multiple tiers of an activity, but anyone running into the wall pretty squarely defied the evidence to put themselves in that position.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Ugh sensationalist bullshit.

Okay so firstly. Anyone who played Destiny 1, would know this happened in destiny 1 also. So it should have been expected.

Secondly, the only thing locked is the PRESTIGE raid and PRESTIGE nightfall. The reason it is lock is because that content requires a power level over 300. The DLC increased the max power from 305 to 335. So those with just the base game can only reach a max of 305, which is too low to be able to do those PRESTIGE modes.

Third, the entire point of those modes are to get endgame gear of higher power. Now that you can easily reach 300 power, The prestige raid and prestige Nightfall need to give higher level to be worth it for DLC owners. It's literally pointless for Base game players.

Forth, base game players still have access to the raid and nightfall, just not the super hard mode that gives even more gear.

But it's not like actual facts matter, you guys just want a reason to hate things and make an echochamber.

I'm starting to believe the problems with the gaming community has less to do with publishers are more to do with the gamers in general.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Vendor-Lazarus said:
There it is.

gigastar said:
Well on that note i must mention that, if you were not aware already, sales for SWB2 (2017) are only about 60% of the launch sales for its predecessor, and half of what Battlefield 1 sold.
Still way too much, and that's not including microtransactions which gives them soooo much money.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Mmm, on one hand, im pissed off.

I got Destiny 2, and the game is now less complete than when I purchased it.

On the other hand, its just like any other MMO, really.

In World of Warcraft, If I didn't buy Legion after Warlords of Draenor, i'd still have all of the WoD content content to play, but I can't imagine that many people are tripping over themselves to play the raids anymore.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
aegix drakan said:
Sooo...

Basically, the stuff you already paid for is now no longer accessible? And is now being held to ransom in a DLC pack?

...Isn't this fraud? Isn't this grounds for a class-action lawsuit?
No, not really. Under the EULA used in most video game purchases, the developer basically has the right to change the game at any time without your consent (obviously, they couldn't patch things otherwise) and without giving you a refund.

They could introduce a new mechanic where you had to pay $10 every time you entered the Leviathan and it would be legal. What stops companies from doing that is generally public pressure, as can be see with Battlefront 2 and EA's abrupt about-face on the in-game pricing system. Gamers are very vocal about this shit.

On the OP: What's basically happened is that the challenge mode for the Leviathan raid has been scaled up to accommodate the new gear level cap, which is 350 or something like that (I haven't logged in since the patch this week). The regular mode for the Leviathan raid is still there, so you can still do Leviathan; you just can't do the challenge mode.

As soon as they decided to raise the gear level cap with the expansion, they were asking for this kind of problem, because obviously then they'd have to either introduce a new raid or scale up the existing raid's challenge mode so that it stayed...a challenge.

D2 has some way more glaring problems - the raid matchmaking is still basically unusable, unless you're a fan of looking at your ship for thirty to forty minutes while it finds you a group. And there's the whole deal with the raid not actually giving you any gear...I've made four or five forays into the Leviathan, and all I've taken away are loot tokens that I can't hand in to anybody and some shaders. If it weren't for the clan engrams system, I wouldn't have any raid gear at all.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I bought Destiny 2 on launch, a rarity for me these days, because two of my friends also did the same and wanted to play Co-Op. We just couldn't get into it. The campaign was incredibly easy and insultingly short, the enemy AI is atrocious, the tokens and engrams feel mostly unrewarding and boring, the weapon/armor skins and shaders are pretty bland, there are only a handful of dungeons that the game expects you to play over and over and over and over again for little to no reward, and while I had no interest in PvP, the friend of mine who did play it said it was very much "headshots or GTFO."

It's a relatively pretty game to look at, and the gameplay itself feels very solid, but it has a serious lack of meaningful content. I highly doubt the expansion pack adds enough new content to actually justify its price tag, given how lacking the $60 base game was. If anything, Destiny 2 only reinforced my "no day 1 purchases" stance, regardless of what my friends do.

The last time I played Destiny 2, three weeks ago, the experience consisted of doing a single rotation of all of the dungeons in like an hour, doing the weekly nightfall, none of us getting anything useful, then watching one of my friends play with the purple ball at the tower while the other was Alt-Tabbed watching shit on YouTube because we couldn't muster the motivation to do anything else.

Assuming the new DLC actually gates previously available content, I'm surprised anyone even noticed. Judging by my own personal experience with the game, it seems like most of the people still playing are the people who were going to have the expansion pack anyway. Still a shitty practice though, assuming it's true. I highly doubt I'll be bothering to log in anytime soon to check.