Destiny Beta Causing PSN Outage Issues

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011

Beta codes for Bungie's anticipated shooter Destiny are currently being sent out by email, but the PlayStation Network is experiencing issues due to high volume.

If you were hoping to hop onto the Playstation Network and start playing the Destiny beta at launch today, guess again: the PlayStation Network is only "intermittently available" due to the high number of gamers trying to access it. According to PlayStation Support [https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2185], "The PlayStation Network is currently experiencing high volume and users may experience issues when connecting to the service."

As of this writing, all Destiny beta codes for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 users have been sent, so if you're waiting on a code, check your email!

As gamers are wont to do, people quickly turned to the internet to complain about the outage or their missing beta codes.

[tweet t="https://twitter.com/KyleOrl/status/489849116709511169"]
[tweet t="https://twitter.com/timturi/status/489841980629716993"]
[tweet t="https://twitter.com/SusanArendt/status/489818152906153985"]

Destiny's beta will run exclusively on Playstation consoles until July 23, when it will become available on the Xbox One and Xbox 360 as well. It's due out on September 9, 2014.

Source: PlayStation Support [https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2185]

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Good on Sony for ensuring that no one group get's their massively anticipated dosage of faceless spacesuit wearing action before the other. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm back to lamenting my lack of a Destiny beta code and refreshing Warframe's patch notes page as I wait for the much anticipated Update 14.

In all seriousness, the PSN has not had the best track record when it came to handling largely awaited updates. I mean, both consoles have had a bad history of connection derping but PSN gets sloooooow on big days (meanwhile, if I remember, Live just got laggy, with fits and bursts of activity rather than creeping to a halt and failing to accept inputs). Sucks for you guys waiting on this, but these things usually don't last more than a day. In the meantime, get back to the Steam Library you're neglecting and try in vain to pretend you're filling the void of not getting into the beta you've been waiting for all this time (yep, too much experience with this, and not just on the PSN).

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
Anyone want my Destiny beta key? I wont be using it. The game doesn't interest me enough to try it, and if its Playstation only I cant use it. I got it from the read an article promotion last week.

*edit, not my key anymore. Gave it away.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
okay cool i wasn't the only one who was experiencing problems. But does anyone know why they give you three codes with the PS4 version?

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Sarah Kerrigan said:
okay cool i wasn't the only one who was experiencing problems. But does anyone know why they give you three codes with the PS4 version?
I was curious about that also. Do they expect you to have two friends with PS4s also? They clearly don't know me.

OT: Eh, at least it's only beta, and Sony's part to boot, not the actual Destiny servers. Strangely enough, it went relatively smooth for me.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Grrrr. All I want to is import my Zen Pinball 2 tables to the PS4 but stupid Destiny has mostly shut the service down.

Chinchama

Mar 1, 2009
Sarah LeBoeuf said:

As gamers are wont to do, people quickly turned to the internet to complain about the outage or their missing beta codes.

That doesn't make much sense...

Sarah Kerrigan said:
They are giving out 3 keys so you can invite a pair of friends who have no pre-ordered to join your fire-squad. [aka convince them to buy the game]

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
OMG an MMO with Beta launch issues. This hasn't happened since like Anarchy Online. Most of you wont know about AO and it's launch because you were still on formula and watching the number 7 and the letter b.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchy_Online

Life just gets more amazing and new everyday.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I'm suprised a mmo on the console is so popular, I gave the Alpha a try once, haven't felt like playing since. It's Boarderlands gameplay crossed with Mass Effect and Halo designs with a sprinkle of World of Warcraft to seal the deal.
How boring :-/

NinthPlanet86

Feb 10, 2012
Chinchama said:
Sarah LeBoeuf said:
That doesn't make much sense...
She's using wont in an old-fashioned sense. In this usage, wont does not mean will not (won't), so her sentence is fine. It means the same as: "As gamers are known to do, they quickly turned to the Internet to complain about the outage or their missing beta codes."

From a technical perspective this is, in some ways, a good thing. It means that, provided that Sony learn the lessons from the outage, upon Destiny's release in September the Playstation Network should be in a position to cope with the demand. The lesson Sony needs to learn is to upgrade their server infrastructure to cope with the additional strain Destiny places upon it.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Blizzard, Blizzard is that you?

I find it hysterically ironic that these companies are pushing online only/digital release games & services, but they themselves don't have the infrastructure to handle the surge.

Apr 28, 2008
008Zulu said:

I find it hysterically ironic that these companies are pushing online only/digital release games & services, but they themselves don't have the infrastructure to handle the surge.
And this isn't even a full game. It's a freaking beta.

Oh the Destiny launch will just be a blast.

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
008Zulu said:

Its the same every single time. Its a topic that is actually passed being interesting other than the surprise of the noobs who don't see it coming. At the same time your point is so spot on. Companies spend millions building the hype then claim surprise when lots of people actually act on their advertising.

The entire industry would be a lot better off if the public were smart enough not to reward the selling of half finished products which we know as "Beta Testing". Back in the day it was a privilege to be part of a Beta, now all you have to do is pay for a car with 3 wheels and no roof and your allowed to drive it away. The funny part is listening to the kids whinge when discover they cant in fact drive a 3 wheeled car, despite being suckered into buying it.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
It's a beta, it exists to fix the game before launch, not to give you a free video game pleasure spree, people. Geez.

I am so glad I give literally no shits about 'modern' shooters. Seriously, they are boring as all shit.

I do feel sorry for people that are excited for this, but still, yall need to chill!

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Not saying there aren't problems, but I received my codes and redeemed one of them without any issue. I also just spent an hour or so playing the game with no issue. Chances are, as with many situations similar to this one, the problems aren't as wide spread or long lasting as some people would like to imply they are. *shrug*

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So is every major release going to break the system now for Sony? So much for paying for better online ech.

Razorback0z said:
OMG an MMO with Beta launch issues. This hasn't happened since like Anarchy Online. Most of you wont know about AO and it's launch because you were still on formula and watching the number 7 and the letter b.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchy_Online

Life just gets more amazing and new everyday.
SOrry, back then iwas too busy playing other MMO - Tibia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibia_%28video_game%29]

michael87cn said:
It's a beta, it exists to fix the game before launch, not to give you a free video game pleasure spree, people. Geez.
yes, but in order to spot the bugs and fix the game you first have to, i dont know, be able to launch the game?

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
And this comes as a shock to absolutely no one that has participated in a Beta for any kind of MMO. It might be surprising for shooter fans I suppose. Champions Online was probably the worst beta I ever experienced though - three full days passed before anyone could log in for more than a few minutes. You had to manually uninstall and re-download the client, all kinds of frustrating stuff.

Maybe it'll be more smooth on the XBL servers. They've always been able to handle a bit more.

electric method

Jul 20, 2010
This is what really shocked me about Activision/Bungie getting involved in a year long exclusivity deal for Destiny with Sony on the PS4. The PS4/PS3 etc have long been known to not be so good for much of anything via online gaming. Hell, anyone that is playing shooters online, or competitively online via console isn't doing it on a PlayStation. When I read this article I really wasn't surprised the PSN went tits up. Sony spends lots of money making new consoles, on the hardware for those consoles and controllers, but then doesn't do to much with servers or the PSN.

Since MS spent a lot of money on new servers and increasing the amount of servers they had for the X1 I expect the Destiny Beta to go a whole lot smoother on the X1. Unless, of course MS herps and doesn't have enough servers up to meet log in demand. We'll see. I am half expecting MS to try to sabotage the Destiny beta as a giant "Fuck You" to Bungie.