Destiny Beta Characters Will Not Transfer to Final Game

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Destiny Beta Characters Will Not Transfer to Final Game

Bungie explains why players' Guardian characters from the Destiny beta will not be in the final game.

Bungie will not transfer characters from the Destiny beta to the final game, meaning players will start fresh. A post on the official Bungie blog by designer Tyson Green explained that Bungie's adjustments would make Guardians from the beta confusing and even broken in some cases.

"Since the Beta, we've continued to tune and adjust the game," Tyson said. "The way you earn experience has been adjusted up and down a bunch of times. Items have been added removed. New features toggled. Although there's no single monumental change, the sum of the tweaks leaves characters from the Beta Build in strange shape that would be confusing at best, broken at worst."

Bungie community manager David "DeeJ" Dague wrote a farewell to his own Guardian. He addressed Destiny beta players, noting Bungie's farewell to all of the wiped Guardians. "This is the last time we'll ask you to part with your hero," he said.

The Destiny beta closed at the end of the day on July 26 and was 4.6 million players participated in the beta [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136400-Destiny-Beta-Now-Free-to-Download-Across-All-Consoles], which was available on PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One, making it the largest console beta for a new video game IP.

Destiny launches September 9. Beta players won't be able to reunite with their old Guardians, but new stories are waiting with new Guardians.

Source: Bungie [http://www.bungie.net/7_Bungie-Weekly-Update---08082014/en/News/News?aid=12034]

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
This is standard for betas. I really hope nobody is surprised or bothered by this.

P.S. Thanks

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Covarr said:
This is standard for betas. I really hope nobody is surprised or bothered by this.

P.S. Thanks
Hah! Quite the optimist, you are. There are plenty of people up in arms, sadly.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Uhhhh DUH!!! Sadly people aren't aware of this but as stated it is standard fare for any pre-release betas. People can be mad all they want, but thats how it goes.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Well, I guess it does make sense.

Wish I could at the very least import my character's customized look.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Honestly I would prefer it this way. If given the choice, I'd wipe the characters myself. The whole point of the beta, for me anyway, was to see if the game was worth picking up at retail. And while I wasn't overwhelmed by it, I'm enough of a Bungie fan to want to see how it plays out.

But all that dicking around in the beta was just trial and error, seeing which class I liked, getting the feel of the combat. I don't want that stuff to carry over. Of course I'm not a multiplayer fan so I didn't even bother with that. Maybe if I had 1000 frags to my name I'd be miffed. But I don't, and I'm not. Not even a little. Clean slate is the way to go on this one for sure.

TheLazyGeek

Nov 7, 2009
Peasant console gamers. This is the standard affair for such things. Granted there are a few games recently that have carried over from Beta to Live without a character wipe...actually I can only think of Warframe and Firefall that've carried over, but that's mostly due to being in open beta for years.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
TheLazyGeek said:
Peasant console gamers. This is the standard affair for such things. Granted there are a few games recently that have carried over from Beta to Live without a character wipe...actually I can only think of Warframe and Firefall that've carried over, but that's mostly due to being in open beta for years.
Actually this is pretty much standard response regardless of the hardware the game is played on. At least with console only gamers I can understand why there would have been some confusion or misunderstanding, but hardcore PC gamers whine just as much when characters are deleted during/after Betas. I've been in a number of MMO betas and the Beta forums are always alight with moans of "But I spent so much time on this character!" or "But I got to max level!" or "But I got this really cool item!" when it comes time for the Beta end data wipe.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
StriderShinryu said:
TheLazyGeek said:
Actually this is pretty much standard response regardless of the hardware the game is played on. At least with console only gamers I can understand why there would have been some confusion or misunderstanding, but hardcore PC gamers whine just as much when characters are deleted during/after Betas. I've been in a number of MMO betas and the Beta forums are always alight with moans of "But I spent so much time on this character!" or "But I got to max level!" or "But I got this really cool item!" when it comes time for the Beta end data wipe.
it's something for some time now I;ve come to expect and I'm totally fine with it because the last thing I'd expect is for beta testers to have some kind of upper hand over people who waited for the official release or just got into it, also I dunno why he threw in the peasant line, there's no room for a line like that, especially since the game hasn't got an official PC release either.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Maybe if I had 1000 frags to my name I'd be miffed.
If you're the kind of player who can rack up a thousand kills in a beta period you probably won't care about a stats reset, because a thousand kills isn't a big deal anymore.

I can afford to lose one of my fifty thousand kills a year!

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
Saw this coming a mile away, but seeing it stated all official and such does make me feel like I'll miss my old dancing machine.
Mind you the only thing I really wanted to keep was my emblems. Bought the Jade Rabbit one and I loved it.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
You mean like with every other beta ever? Who could possibly have expected this?
Seriously, why is this a news article?

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Denamic said:
You mean like with every other beta ever? Who could possibly have expected this?
Seriously, why is this a news article?
Because people are stupid and will whine about anything :p

Never got too attached with my characters so it's not a big deal. I went in knowing that wipes were more than likely, as is usually the case for reasons of balance and fairness. Really it won't take long to get back to where we were and who knows you may find even better drops in the full game.

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
erttheking said:
Well, I guess it does make sense.

Wish I could at the very least import my character's customized look.
That should be a standard thing in games.
I'm known to spend a lot of time creating/customizing my characters, even when there's not too many options to go with.
When my friends and I started playing Wildstar on release, my char was created in a matter of seconds. I created my char templates during the beta, so all I had to do then was paste a code and type a name.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
How is this news exactly? This is pretty standard fare for multiplayer betas. If your progress transferred, you'd have an unquestionable advantage over players who didn't get to play the beta, not to mention the rebalancing that the devs are likely to do before release. No one should be surprised. It would be nice to be able to import your character's appearance though.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Good. It will give new players a chance to not get tea bagged by all you lucky bastards who played the beta.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
For all those asking why its news, Bungie was being very evasive about answering, and saying things like they'd explore all options and see how things ended up.

So yeah, beta progress being wiped is the norm, but they were giving people hope things might be different for a while there.

Plus early access and certain games claiming beta as a coverall label to excuse bugs has muddied the water pretty heavily on this issue. Only the older generations see it as a given that beta characters will never see the light of release, newcomers to games are constantly being told they're in a beta, and they get to keep everything.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Uhhhh DUH!!! Sadly people aren't aware of this but as stated it is standard fare for any pre-release betas. People can be mad all they want, but thats how it goes.
Didn't the stats and unlocked from the Battlefield Bad Company 2 beta carry over to the full game?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
tdylan said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Didn't the stats and unlocked from the Battlefield Bad Company 2 beta carry over to the full game?
Possibly, but if so thats a huge rarity in beta-to-release. I've never heard that before actually...