Destiny - Bungie After Halo With 40 Minutes of Hands-On Gameplay

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Destiny - Bungie After Halo With 40 Minutes of Hands-On Gameplay

Destiny feels like the first real step into next-gen.

Read Full Article

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I think it looks pretty interesting. I think I'm in the minority on that, but I'm standing by it.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Just an observation here. While watching the video, it seemed that everyone involved just didn't seem very excited. Anyone else notice that?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Sounds like Firefall, except a bit more streamlined and tilted towards the Borderlands feel than the TF2 feel, with the added split between character and weapon leveling. It also appears that they might have balanced the encounters better.

I hope they streamlined travel across the freeplay area, or they might run into the same problems.

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
The enemy AI is clever, but in a predictable pattern that feels like you're mastering how best to take each type down - not unlike a certain other game that Bungie made with a variety of enemies.
This is one of the reasons I loved Halo. After reading this article, I'm getting ever so slightly excited about Destiny.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
Sleekit said:
weirdee said:
Sounds like Firefall, except a bit more streamlined and tilted towards the Borderlands feel than the TF2 feel, with the added split between character and weapon leveling. It also appears that they might have balanced the encounters better.
Firefall, Rift, even bits of Guild Wars 2 and EVE...

basically what they've done is taken the relatively new in world events end game model for MMOs and combined it with a shooter (and PvP ofc) on one giant EVE like server (apparently).

me and my brother had big hopes for playing this game but sadly its not now coming to PC...that said i haven't ruled out trying it on console yet (especially given the fact its going to be on "last gen" platforms) BUT it would be the very first console FPS i'd ever played so i'd probably be shit at it and i dunno if i can be arsed with that (i'm old and my ways are pretty much set at this point mmmkay).

more than anything what i expect from this game is "pixel perfect quality"...like a classic Blizzard or even Bullfrog game...because to me Bungie is quite obviously that kind of developer...and tbh i'm really surprised there doesn't seem to be much of a buzz around it in the community...
It's very rare for me to see anyone around here get excited over the word "shooter" if "Valve" isn't attached to it. Nothing but post after post of words like "generic" and "bland".

I have very high expectations from Bungie, because they've never disappointed me before. Some people grew up on Half-life, but I grew up playing Halo with my brother.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Not really that existed for this even after it, but it's not my type of game. I'd honestly ignore it if not for one thing.

500 million on this thing. 15 million copies needed to brake even. How the hell did this thing get so expensive and still get approved?

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
Zontar said:
Not really that existed for this even after it, but it's not my type of game. I'd honestly ignore it if not for one thing.

500 million on this thing. 15 million copies needed to brake even. How the hell did this thing get so expensive and still get approved?
While I agree that it's way more than necessary, according to the article below that budget is actually for the entire 10-year planned lifespan of the game.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/activision-investing-500-million-for-bungie-s-destiny/1100-6419444/

And hell, GTAV made a billion in 3 days, so this one could conceivably make it. It's releasing on more systems, at least.

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
I like the look of this game, I'm getting super serious sci fi borderlands style vibes, and my group of friends and I love these style games.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
Compatriot Block said:
Sleekit said:
weirdee said:
Firefall, Rift, even bits of Guild Wars 2 and EVE...

basically what they've done is taken the relatively new in world events end game model for MMOs and combined it with a shooter (and PvP ofc) on one giant EVE like server (apparently).

me and my brother had big hopes for playing this game but sadly its not now coming to PC...that said i haven't ruled out trying it on console yet (especially given the fact its going to be on "last gen" platforms) BUT it would be the very first console FPS i'd ever played so i'd probably be shit at it and i dunno if i can be arsed with that (i'm old and my ways are pretty much set at this point mmmkay).

more than anything what i expect from this game is "pixel perfect quality"...like a classic Blizzard or even Bullfrog game...because to me Bungie is quite obviously that kind of developer...and tbh i'm really surprised there doesn't seem to be much of a buzz around it in the community...
It's very rare for me to see anyone around here get excited over the word "shooter" if "Valve" isn't attached to it. Nothing but post after post of words like "generic" and "bland".

I have very high expectations from Bungie, because they've never disappointed me before. Some people grew up on Half-life, but I grew up playing Halo with my brother.
That's kinda sad that there's not more excitement really. This game looks and sounds awesome! I can't wait to play it and start experiencing the lore Bungie has created with the Traveller and the Darkness. The backstory of the Traveller alone is sure to be fascinating.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Honestly I wish it was in Third Person, all that lovely set design, character models and those too infrequently used special powers are just crying out for such a perspective.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Compatriot Block said:
Zontar said:

While I agree that it's way more than necessary, according to the article below that budget is actually for the entire 10-year planned lifespan of the game.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/activision-investing-500-million-for-bungie-s-destiny/1100-6419444/

And hell, GTAV made a billion in 3 days, so this one could conceivably make it. It's releasing on more systems, at least.
GTAV was also the 7th or so instillation of a game series which had an exponential growth rate, while even assuming the Halo games as part of this new IP sales seemed to have peaked with Halo 3.

It might make back it's money, but it also probably won't for some time if it does, and I don't think the margins will be anything to shake a stick at.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Not impressed at all. The gameplay with "waves" of enemies coming at you reminded me of ME3 multiplayer (with FP view and less interesting abilities) or Firefall (with upgraded gfx and again less abilities).

It also looked very similar to instanced missions in Global Agenda, if you've ever played that. Almost exactly like it in fact.

I imagined this game more as an actual open world MMO where you would wander around only to be suddenly surprised by challenging and tough enemies. Don't get that vibe at all here.

That aside, the armor customization and such did look good.

Gordon_4 said:
Honestly I wish it was in Third Person, all that lovely set design, character models and those too infrequently used special powers are just crying out for such a perspective.
Have to agree with that, the most interesting thing about this game so far has been the character design.

It's super weird to see those characters suddenly switching to third person when doing an ability only to immediately switch back.

It would be much better to have a host of different abilities that you could combo with in third person. I had a lot of fun with that in ME3 multiplayer.

They could still use the FPS view for simple shootng and aiming.