Destiny Trailer Lays Down the Law of the Jungle

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
Nghtgnt said:
In case anyone was wondering, "The Law of the Jungle" is from Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jungle_Book]. According to Wikipedia,
The tales in the book (and also those in The Second Jungle Book which followed in 1895, and which includes five further stories about Mowgli) are fables, using animals in an anthropomorphic manner to give moral lessons. The verses of The Law of the Jungle, for example, lay down rules for the safety of individuals, families and communities.
You can find the passage here [http://www.poetryloverspage.com/poets/kipling/law_of_jungle.html].
"Ye may kill for yourselves, and your mates, and your cubs as they need, and ye can;
But kill not for pleasure of killing, and seven times never kill Man!"

Kind of ironic given that it's a game where the point is to kill men for pleasure.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Baresark said:
So... we have seen a video with some crappy CGI and some concept art..... and people are excited about this? This is quickly becoming the most hyped up game ever. My god, people! User your sense!
Crappy CGI? I mean it isn't flawless but I have seen FAAAAAAAR worse used in "professional" trailers.

The hype? The hype is simply because Bungie knows who their core fans are and knows exactly what to provide them to cause massive anticipation. Also, despite the naysayers, they do know exactly how to provide a product capable of meeting or exceeding expectations.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
So what I can tell from this trailer:

#1: I was wrong about this being too much like Halo
#2: This game seems to have a pretty nice concept and looks pretty cool
#3: Everyone will look like a Mandalorian
#4: I will probably play as a hunter, because I am a huge Metal Gear fan, and with that whole revolver scene, I now am unable to see the hunter as anything other than Revolver Ocelot with a space-suit

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
As this is a Bungie game I have faith there'll be a quality game there. But from the trailers? It's like they tried to make the most generic space opera mess they possibly could. "It's like fantasy, but in space!" - urgh.

Snazzymathematics

Apr 16, 2013
I'm interested in seeing this game on PC and how well it'll do against Planetside 2. It'll be nice to have a bit of competition in which MMOFPS will be better in what they are trying to accomplish.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
The more I think about an MMOFPS the more interested I become... but there are things I really want to see.

1) world bosses everyone can fight

2) No factions

3) Tera's ability to outlaw up in order to world pvp.

I doubt I'll get all of theses... but the faction-less world pvp would make the happiest.

Edit:

Oh, and Ironsights. I've grown so attached to Ironsights that I think if a game didn't have it I'd just be disappointed.

I keep thinking back to how sub par Halo was... is it okay to be interested?

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
Terminate421 said:
Compatriot Block said:
Guys. I'm throwing money at my screen but nothing is happening.

God dammit Bungie, you know what I like. Still my favorite developer.
This 100% this.

Anyway, I TRIED the disk port and the money still won't make anything happen.
Did you try shoving money directly through the ethernet cable? Shortest path, straight line, etc.

deathbeforedecaf

Oct 26, 2008
corniest ad ever, and pretty bad cgi for a game company.Gus was the only good thing, and im not buying a game because they hire Gus to do the live action part of an ad.

remmus

Aug 31, 2009
kailus13 said:
That guy should be doing audiobooks, he's got a great voice.

Why aren't they releasing it on PC? Most of the MMO playerbase seems to be on PC.
ironicly the PC is nowadays growing into less of a favourable platform for MMO, simply because on PC there is such a over-saturation, even triple A like MMO like these kinda drown in the sea of other MMO. Now in comparison on consoles the MMO land is still a untamed wildland ripped for new games to settle in.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
That was fucking atrocious. How has that, of all things, gotten anyone excited?

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Like someone said it does look like "space soldier versus hordes of big aliens", but I guess we'll have to wait til June to see the gameplay footage. From the narration I'm get the strong feeling it's going to be a co-op game. The power of the pack and all that.A possible squad based (online?)shooter. After playing the Fuse demo I'm wondering if that's the new angle we'll be seeing in the future. Be it 3rd or 1st person is the second question that comes to mind. Here's hoping it's worth the wait in either case.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I liked the concept art trailers but this low budge live action one not so much. Whereas the art was vast and had big promises, this makes everything look incredibly limited in scope and feels generic.
erttheking said:
Besides, the style is just gorgeous and the concept is pretty interesting. There aren't that many universes where Humanity has space travel but is still stuck inside the Solar System. Apart from Cowboy Bebop that is.
Every Gundam ever? I know it's one franchise, but that's like 7-8 settings where humans have barely made it to Jupiter at most.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Gatx said:
I liked the concept art trailers but this low budge live action one not so much. Whereas the art was vast and had big promises, this makes everything look incredibly limited in scope and feels generic.
erttheking said:
Besides, the style is just gorgeous and the concept is pretty interesting. There aren't that many universes where Humanity has space travel but is still stuck inside the Solar System. Apart from Cowboy Bebop that is.
Every Gundam ever? I know it's one franchise, but that's like 7-8 settings where humans have barely made it to Jupiter at most.
Fair enough. It never scratched that itch the way that Cowboy Bebop did though, mainly because it seemed like every Gundam ever was "Earth, space colonies and maybe a lunar and martian base" I liked the balance Bebop struck, going with "We're still inside the solar system but we are everywhere inside of it."